The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland D-10 / D-110 firmware
Old 19th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
That rack-module-by-force D-20 is a cool homespun project.
don't know who did it. came like that. much easier to program than D-110,
you can select multiple partials for editing, like on the JV-1080.
needs tidying up a bit really.

do you know what the voltage supplies are? how easy would it be to switch
it over to an external PSU ?
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I wish I could help you there but once it gets into serious electronics I'm lost. Yes, I agree the D-10/20 is way easier to program than the 110. I'm going to try out the coffeeshopped iPad editor which looks good. I have MIDI Quest currently which is OK. A little dated in the interface.
Old 19th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
here are some choice photos of the innards that i took:
it's a bit rough, with twisted wires taped up. think there was a ground hum
last time i fired it up. you can see that someone really went at this, and had
a plan. i'm thinking of making it a new aluminium panel enclosure and tidying
it up a lot. it is actually really nice to mess around with: run a pattern, and
knock up some 1-finger piano chords (mambo45, if i recall). or i'll flog it on.
i like it's junk style.

i've never investigated the sequencer or tried to write any rhythm patterns.
tempted to keep it because it looks like junk (lol it is funky junk)
Attached Thumbnails
Roland D-10 / D-110 firmware-dsc00080.jpg   Roland D-10 / D-110 firmware-dsc00082.jpg  
Old 22nd January 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
I wish I could help you there but once it gets into serious electronics I'm lost. Yes, I agree the D-10/20 is way easier to program than the 110. I'm going to try out the coffeeshopped iPad editor which looks good. I have MIDI Quest currently which is OK. A little dated in the interface.
I have MIDIQuest too, and I agree that it looks a bit dated. The one cool thing about it is that you can use hardware synths as "virtual synths" within your DAW: simply double-click on the synth's name in your DAW and MQ can be set to open up, allowing you to tweak the patch (or the synth's overall settings).

That said, if I had an iPad, I'd definitely go with Coffeeshopped. The developer seems cool, and he's responsive to suggestions and feedback. And unlike MQ, they're still actively developing the app. I just got an e-mail from them today, as a matter of fact.

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by junoir View Post
ShadowsOfLife: No, latest firmware for D-10 should be 1.12 (see first post and the PDF (D-10 Service Information 1.06 - 1.12.pdf) earlier in the thread). My brother has firmware 1.03 in his D-10 (which he bought in 1989 or so). At some point I'll try to dump those.
You're right--I don't know where I lost track of the final version number.

Did I read you right in that you're saying your brother has a D-10 with the 1.03 firmware, and you're going to try to make EPROMs from that?

Steve
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
the Big D-110 Question:
"How Come D-110s Are Worth F*** All?"
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
D20 1.04(A&B) and 1.03(C) roms needed

Hi!
Long story short, my first synth was a D20 with rom version 1.00 (dumped) that I got in my early teens and as usual, I took it apart to fix dead membrane switches and ordered the latest eproms from Roland Norway which still had them available (1996/97 ca).
Now, the technician I called didn't ask me which version of the mainboard I had, so he gave me the latest version 1.12(1.11) for the new mainboard.
This worked somehow but the sequencer and sram didn't work as expected after that which I thought to be a loose cable somewhere, and by that time I had already switched to other activities and forgotten all about it until recently.

Now, I see that I need the 1.04(A&B) and 1.03(C) roms for the old mainboard.
Anyone here have access to them?

I can provide roms 1.00 and the latest version for "new" boards 1.12(1.11).

Last edited by trondl; 22nd January 2019 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: found new eprom version
Old 25th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
the Big D-110 Question:
"How Come D-110s Are Worth F*** All?"
You really want to get annoyed? Someone is selling a D-5 for $500 on reverb.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
everyone knows the D-110 sucks.

Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
and I gave mine away to my friend's kid...:D
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
and I gave mine away to my friend's kid...:D
that was mean you'll put him right off MIDI.
could have at least given him a modern VA.
Old 26th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trondl View Post
Hi!
Long story short, my first synth was a D20 with rom version 1.00 (dumped) that I got in my early teens and as usual, I took it apart to fix dead membrane switches and ordered the latest eproms from Roland Norway which still had them available (1996/97 ca).
Now, the technician I called didn't ask me which version of the mainboard I had, so he gave me the latest version 1.12(1.11) for the new mainboard.
This worked somehow but the sequencer and sram didn't work as expected after that which I thought to be a loose cable somewhere, and by that time I had already switched to other activities and forgotten all about it until recently.

Now, I see that I need the 1.04(A&B) and 1.03(C) roms for the old mainboard.
Anyone here have access to them?

I can provide roms 1.00 and the latest version for "new" boards 1.12(1.11).
Hi! It wouldn't hurt to post those you have here. As far as I know no D-20 firmware dumps are online. I am sure it would help someone else with a D-20 at some point. Feel free to send them to DBWBP.com - Synthesizer ROM archive also.

As for your question, I'm sure you've seen this? ROLAND D-20 - 3-ROM UPGRADE OS 1.04 (for old D-20 version) | eBay

In general I hope this thread will result in that most firmware versions are dumped and readily available so that those with programmers can easily program their chips on their own.
Old 17th July 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Just an update to the list as I spotted a new D-10 dump:

So far, I think these have been preserved:
D-10: 1.02, 1.06
D-20: -
D-110: 1.06, 1.07, 1.10, 1.13
Old 17th July 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by junoir View Post
Just an update to the list as I spotted a new D-10 dump:

So far, I think these have been preserved:
D-10: 1.02, 1.06
D-20: -
D-110: 1.06, 1.07, 1.10, 1.13
Cool! Thanks for this!

It would be nice if there was a way to find out what's fixed in the D-10 1.06 ROM update. The website just seems to be a clearinghouse for the ROM files. I understand the person who's maintaining the site knows it could be a whole lot more, but it might be nice to know what's in some of these things before we take a chance with them.

That said, I grabbed what I could for the synths and drum machines I have. Now all I need to do is find someone with a programmer/burner....

Steve
Old 18th July 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsOfLife View Post
Cool! Thanks for this!

It would be nice if there was a way to find out what's fixed in the D-10 1.06 ROM update. The website just seems to be a clearinghouse for the ROM files. I understand the person who's maintaining the site knows it could be a whole lot more, but it might be nice to know what's in some of these things before we take a chance with them.
As a general rule, dump your EPROM first before overwriting it with other content. That way you'll both be preserving it (and could share it here) and can go back if a newer ROM-version doesn't work.

Edit: Actually, I found a D-110 Service Manual which describes what update 1.01 to 1.07 does. This may apply to the D-10 too, but it could have additional fixes specific to D-10.

There are also some various gathered information, like the dates in the roms here.

Last edited by junoir; 18th July 2019 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Found more info.
πŸ“ Reply