The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mutable instruments AMBIKA .. wow
Old 20th August 2013
mutable instruments AMBIKA .. wow

Instruments – Ambika | Mutable Instruments

been searching over GS bk n forth, and after all this time there is still no dedicated thread about this hybrid polyphonic marvel. compared to waldorfs or dsi stuff, it suffers not having a luxurious knobby UI... but the sound dunno about you, but this demo throw me of my chair. features SMR4 filter (which i think is some type of OTA based cascaded integrator circuit... sounds somewhere btwn roland 3109 and CEM3320 to me):

recent conversation with Olivier from Mutable, hinted he might add the ability for polyphonic voice overflow.. so you can have two for more than 6 voices. i mean the type of sound displayed in this demo can easily utilize 8 or more... and layering..

demo with 6 voices of 4LP filter (based on ssm2164):

another intersting bit i found out yesterday is, beside the existing SMR4, 4LP, and SVF cards (dual multimode 12dB filters), there is a third party card now with a.. <fanfare> "moog" transistor ladder filter...

PS you can also build it with diodes, to make a diode ladder and get into ems/303/system100 territory..
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

I'm building one in the next few months, after I've purchased some more essential items for my new studio setup and actually have the time to build it. Love that youtube video you posted too, it pretty much alone convinced me to build one!
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear
definitely on my want list.

they're like $1k though?
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

Sounds very nice indeed. How much for one that is already built (I'm just going to kill off half the parts if I try to do it myself)?
Old 20th August 2013
Right on. Had mine for over a year now, great synth and finally something different.

I have six SVF (multimode) so it's kinda like a Jupiter 6.
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear
If anyone builds them and wants to trade a g&l asat for an ambika, holla
Old 20th August 2013
I've been eyeing their website for a while. The demos sound pretty nice. Is Ambika pre-built? It seems like a cool idea. But I feel like I wouldn't trust myself to put these things together. I mean, the idea is the ability to swap out filters and such, no? Does it snap together like Lego's? I guess I'd rather just have them build it for me. Or is the idea to basically hack other synths and take parts from this and that and build your own one of a kind?
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

It's beautiful.
Old 20th August 2013
Gear Maniac

I have a 6 voice SMR version. And an un-built SVF and 4PM filter in my project pile.
It's pretty awesome. And glad I finished building it before our baby (human, no filter options, all analog) arrived.

@EDGEK8D

Ambika is not pre-built, but there is a list of trusted builders (check out the Mutable Instruments forum) who will assemble one for you, for what I'd consider a reasonable fee (if you don't have time/skill in soldering or assembly).

Swapping out the filters is easy, not Lego easy, but easy enough if you've handle PCBs before. There isn't any hacking of other synths required, but you do need to purchase components from a BOM (Bill of Materials) and stuff and solder a motherboard PCB, and however many voice cards you're expecting to use (1 per voice/filter flavor). Its time consuming, but for DIY types, that's half the fun.

I'm very happy with mine, but it did take some time to build. Not to mention how much time for parts sourcing. It isn't a great 1st DIY project, because of complexity/cost. But as far as builds go, it isn't terribly complicated, and the assembly instructions are very good if you have some experience and pay attention to what you're doing.
Old 20th August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lain2097 View Post
Right on. Had mine for over a year now, great synth and finally something different.

I have six SVF (multimode) so it's kinda like a Jupiter 6.
awesome!! i've never heard a nice polyphonic demo, like the one above, with the SVF cards... do you have some material, or a demo with it in action?

and how would you compare the character of multimode in JP6 (IR3109) with this one (SSM2164) ?
Old 20th August 2013
Gear Guru

VERY nice clip, that! Jesus, I don't need more things to GAS about. Just jumped down the modular hole.....
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

Pretty awesome synth it is indeed.
Sounds warmer than a Waldorf and less screamy as a DSI.
Only the filters are analog, the rest is digital (various sampled waveforms).
Big secret are the 14 modulation slots and 4 modifier slots making it extremely versatile.
The plexi case may not be the best choice for going live.
Old 20th August 2013
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post
Pretty awesome synth it is indeed.
Sounds warmer than a Waldorf and less screamy as a DSI.
Only the filters are analog, the rest is digital (various sampled waveforms).
Big secret are the 14 modulation slots and 4 modifier slots making it extremely versatile.
The plexi case may not be the best choice for going live.
There are other case options. A gentleman named Adrian is working on a metal case with wood sides. I have two of his Shruthi cases. They are very nice.
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

sounds great

diy synths though are outside of my ability

sounds like the poly evolver actually, though the filter is different

i DO like that ladder filter though
Old 20th August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Pants View Post
I'm very happy with mine, but it did take some time to build. Not to mention how much time for parts sourcing. It isn't a great 1st DIY project, because of complexity/cost. But as far as builds go, it isn't terribly complicated, and the assembly instructions are very good if you have some experience and pay attention to what you're doing.
Sounds like something I would love to do, and a great learning experience. As with most pleasures in life though, time is limited, and I guess I'd just rather buy something already put together.
Old 20th August 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy123 View Post
There are other case options. A gentleman named Adrian is working on a metal case with wood sides. I have two of his Shruthi cases. They are very nice.
Brushed aluminium and wood sides would look ace!
Old 21st August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
awesome!! i've never heard a nice polyphonic demo, like the one above, with the SVF cards... do you have some material, or a demo with it in action?

and how would you compare the character of multimode in JP6 (IR3109) with this one (SSM2164) ?
Sure the only finished work I have with the Ambika is the last track (No. 14) off my latest album. Because I just got it at the time, it made it on only one track. Though it's eq'd, mixed, crammed onto cassette and mastered. Ambika is doing the 8080-style strings. Here >>>>Lain2097

Hmm how it compares to my Jupiter 6? well it's pretty similar in execution and style at least with these SVF filters. The slope and reso sheen is pretty close in my opinion but yes the digital oscs are NOT as pretty and alive as jupiter 6 VCOs. Ambika oscs are almost the same as shruthi (gee what a surprise) but quite a bit thinner. I also own two shruthi. PWM is quite poor on this sadly.

HP mode is almost the same as IR3109, BP too but LP is pretty different. Probably because the JP6 has much 'meatier' oscs and vca - can't believe i wrote that!

In any case I like my Ambika; those demos all have reverb and who knows what else going on. a real ambika is quite dry and precise sounding. Also quite flexible in terms of routing and analogue outputs.

Attached are two completely dry solos of some stuff I'm working on, kinda is out of place solo'ed but are real examples. Can post some proper posh demos if you wish.
Attached Files

Ambika1.mp3 (1.54 MB, 6605 views)

Ambika2.mp3 (1.04 MB, 6439 views)

Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

What was your total price for the DIY route?
Old 21st August 2013
iirc like 1200 but I had someone build it for me because I didn't want to mess up that much!
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

Huh. Can these be set up something like a Korg Mono/Poly replacement?
Old 21st August 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilita View Post
Huh. Can these be set up something like a Korg Mono/Poly replacement?
In that each voice can be a different setup, yes!
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallu View Post
In that each voice can be a different setup, yes!
noice. Thanks!
Old 21st August 2013
Gear Nut

im considering the Anushri as a build project. ambika looks amazing as well
Old 21st August 2013
Gear Guru
kinda sounds like an Akai AX-80
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by funambulic View Post
im considering the Anushri as a build project. ambika looks amazing as well

Do it. You won;t be disappointed.
Anushri is also a superb synth and not a difficult build.
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy123 View Post
Got a link to these?
Old 21st August 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
Got a link to these?
One quick google away:

MI Ambika Metal Cases - Mutable instruments' users community

And boy , that really doesn't help my GAS one bit!!! What a stunner.
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
One quick google away:

MI Ambika Metal Cases - Mutable instruments' users community

And boy , that really doesn't help my GAS one bit!!! What a stunner.
Damn, those ARE pretty, much prettier than the official see-through cases.
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
VERY nice clip, that! Jesus, I don't need more things to GAS about. Just jumped down the modular hole.....
I just got out of that hole to get some fresh air, but might fall in again, as Mutable Instruments now also make some amazing modules, such as Braids heh
Old 21st August 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjelmevold View Post
I just got out of that hole to get some fresh air, but might fall in again, as Mutable Instruments now also make some amazing modules, such as Braids heh
Stop it! When I get to oscillators I will DIY the double Buchla copies first....for now it's filters and modulation buildup....sloooowly....
📝 Reply