The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mutable instruments AMBIKA .. wow
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialSounds View Post
Is there a way to fine pitch modulate just one of the two oscillators in a patch ? I can't see an easy way to do it in the mod matrix - only both 1&2 together ?

Thx
There is no fine tune for single OSC but i think you can use a modifier to decrease the signal (not sure if the signal stay bipolar though). I am thinking about making modification to the Ambika OS to get fine tuning but didnt have the time yet (kids and new job).
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

GAS reignited!

Old 16th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
GAS reignited!
You can have mine with original metal case. You just have to solder components in. Price: negotiable.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
You can have mine with original metal case. You just have to solder components in. Price: negotiable.
It's tempting! I'll have to think about it. I've got a pile of stuff to make. Stuff to fix, stuff to sell. It never ends!
Old 16th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
It's tempting! I'll have to think about it. I've got a pile of stuff to make. Stuff to fix, stuff to sell. It never ends!
I have just ONE more synth to buy. And i'm telling the truth and nothing but the truth.
Old 16th September 2019
Such a sweet sounding poly, and still going for cheap prices compared to what you get out of it. SMR4 is just a lovely sounding filter.

I'd like to have a keyboard version. I'm thinking maybe the new UDO Super 6 could be a contender, as something that is capable of sounding as good as the Ambika but built into a knobby keyboard package. Quite a bit more cash though.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict
Ambika is dirt cheap compared to the specs and sound quality. The unit in the demo has been for sale in Finland for less than 500€ for months now. I think they can’t be poly chained, otherwise I would seriously consider acquiring second unit.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Guru

They CAN be poly-chained. There's voice spillover option in there.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict
Uhhoh, ok! I just found some threads where Oliver said there is no room in the memory for that feature. Great!

EDIT: still can’t find it in the net. But turning on yam there is mode chai :D!

Last edited by eighteenisnine; 16th September 2019 at 09:06 PM..
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Guru

Yep gotta use the YAM firmware. Using a different compiler they managed to reduce the size of compiled binary and left some room to spare for some extra features.
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Addict

Looks like my question got buried - anyone attempted taking the knobs off an ambika? The knobs seem really stuck on there, I even tried an IC puller with no success.
Old 17th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novosibirsk View Post
Looks like my question got buried - anyone attempted taking the knobs off an ambika? The knobs seem really stuck on there, I even tried an IC puller with no success.
Maybe the reason it's difficult to answer the question is that everyone's Ambika can use different parts, being a DIY project. For example, mine has Davies style knobs that attach using a screw on the side.

If they are push-on knobs, an IC puller is not the tool for the job though. I use one of these, designed for guitars:
https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Puller.../dp/B01HUCH65W
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
Maybe the reason it's difficult to answer the question is that everyone's Ambika can use different parts, being a DIY project. For example, mine has Davies style knobs that attach using a screw on the side.

If they are push-on knobs, an IC puller is not the tool for the job though. I use one of these, designed for guitars:
https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Puller.../dp/B01HUCH65W
Oh for sure, my original post acknowledged the different build components, but I'm struggling to find any resource for help on this matter, so I kept it brief on this re-post. Like I said previously, all other synths I've taken apart in the past were much easier.

Thanks for the tip on the guitar puller! On yours, how do get at the screw? Just on the off chance I have the same component.
Old 17th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novosibirsk View Post
Thanks for the tip on the guitar puller! On yours, how do get at the screw? Just on the off chance I have the same component.
Mine look like this, with a screw on the side.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
I have just ONE more synth to buy. And i'm telling the truth and nothing but the truth.
Got one for sale here, just in case
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict

There was a post on the Mutable forum talking about a method of removing the knobs from the Anushri, which were notoriously hard to remove if you used the stock knobs. One person said he used two strands of very thin wire on either side of the pot shaft, twisted either end together, and pulled up. A picture is worth a thousand words, but I can't find the picture...
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfish View Post
There was a post on the Mutable forum talking about a method of removing the knobs from the Anushri, which were notoriously hard to remove if you used the stock knobs. One person said he used two strands of very thin wire on either side of the pot shaft, twisted either end together, and pulled up. A picture is worth a thousand words, but I can't find the picture...
Interesting, thanks! Update: I feel pretty silly, as I managed to get the knobs off and it was easy after all. For anyone wondering, a flat head screwdriver and some gentle upwards pressure did the trick. I used a microfibre between the screwdriver and case, because the acrylic seems to damage pretty easy.

Last edited by Novosibirsk; 21st September 2019 at 04:57 AM..
Old 18th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post

I always absolutely loved the chords at the start of this demo, but only last night did I realise it's the Zimmerman score from Inception (which I've never seen) - I thought it was just some dude doing a beautiful demo

And yes, it still throws me off my chair
Me too, I rewatch that demo video every once in a while because it sounds amazing. Then I listen to the Hans Zimmer version from the movie, and maybe I'm biased but I actually prefer the sound of the Ambika doing that song. The SMR4 filters are so sweet.

Last edited by soundxplorer; 18th August 2020 at 06:37 PM..
📝 Reply