The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nord Lead 4
Old 17th August 2013
Nord Lead 4

Anybody have one yet?? I'm curious about it. I know I just bought my Prophet 12 and all, but I want hear some opinions on it from some who might own one. I know they're not really available in the U.S. but it is possible someone could have gotten one from eBay. I've seen them for sale with international shipping. I've also looked at most of the latest YouTube videos, and the latest Soundcloud demos, and it sounds pretty good! Anyone with ownership of one care to share some opinions? How do you think it compares to the Prophet 12? I say the Prophet 12 because they were introduced at the same time.
Show replies
Old 17th August 2013
Lives for gear

Yep, it's good.
Not sure if I'd say it's on par with previous iterations (nord lead 3 is still one of the most underrated synths of all time). I just think the new features make it more watered down. They're moving away from the Lead-range astethic, to focus on keyboard players. Sync tap tempo, new performance features etc..

I definitely see it more as a synth version of their Electro-range than anything else. It's watered down but really good. If you're already a synth geek, pick up a used 2x rack instead.
Show replies
Old 17th August 2013
Wow really?? No difference in sound? I thought the sound engine was improved big time? Also, how are the wavetables?
Show replies
Old 17th August 2013
Gear Maniac

There are no wavetables in the Nord Lead 4. Only 128 single-cycle waveforms. You cannot scan the wavetable since there is none. I tried it and wasn't impressed. Not for this money. Moog and 303 filters are nice though.
Show replies
Old 17th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights View Post
Wow really?? No difference in sound? I thought the sound engine was improved big time? Also, how are the wavetables?
It's geared towards the Nord Electro audience. More about splits and that kind of stuff. Bass with one hand etc.
It sounds good, but it's a world apart from the last iteration if you're into synths.
Show replies
Old 17th August 2013
I guess I'll be quiet, and be happy I have my Prophet 12/Virus TI2
Show replies
Old 17th August 2013
my unscientific impression from several HD demos floating arround is, it appears to have cleaner sweeter high end, less aliased than NL2X or NL3 i happened to use few yrs back. i suspect there isnt as much feature-wise added to it, as much as they improved the basic sound quality/fidelity. there is one demo in peticular that blew me away. its on original NL4 thread. i expect they'll get one soon at the local nord dealer.. so i can confirm if this is indeed so.

never the less, i find its insanely overpriced at this day n age, considering competition, softsynths and everything else on the market in 2013. if it was 2007 it could slide..
Show replies
Old 17th August 2013
Yeah, I heard the more recent demos on soundcloud and YouTube, and thought it sounded pretty sweet. I don't think it can beat the DSI P12 though.
Show replies
Old 17th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess I'll be quiet, and be happy I have my Prophet 12/Virus TI2
Yeah, you probably should.
God, how ****ed up is GAS?
Show replies
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

I am pretty interested in trying one out. From the demos I think it sounds great and I love Nord interfaces. I haven't tried either the NL4 or the prophet 12 in person, but from the demos I much prefer the sound of the Nord. Just sounds more interesting.
Show replies
Old 18th August 2013
Yeah I wish I could test one out. Not saying that I don't like the P12, I just want what's best. If I were to demo one, and liked it more than the P12, I still have time to send it back for a full refund. I know it sounds really nice with my Virus, but I want to know how the NL4 sounds with my Virus.
Show replies
Old 18th August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyfake View Post
Yeah, you probably should.
God, how ****ed up is GAS?
I know, I think I need medical assistance.
Show replies
Old 18th August 2013
Gear Nut

I tried it at the Messe and the thing I really loved was how raw I could make it sound! Really in yer face and all that. If I didnt have a Nord Wave, I would be all over it.
I`ve yet to try the P12, something that I fear will be difficult here in Norway. The Nord is also about half the price of the P12 here.

But the P12 looks so ridiciolusly....... Damn.
Show replies
Old 18th August 2013
messiaen
As I have been 'banned' from the Prophet 12 thread, all I can say is I have tried both & my prophet 12 was I beleive defective, way too harsh, cold and distorted.... but even on demos I've heard recently there;s something i'm not likeing, though you can do some wonderfully crazy stuff with it... ยฃ2500 for a distortion and delay pedal is a lot....

I played the Nord lead 4 for a few hours in a store and really warmed to it.... its very easy to get some nice useable 'easy' sounds out of it, typical pads etc, but it also has the potential to get 'nasty' as well, with distortion, delay, but this can be dialled back to leave smoothness, somthing my prophet 12 seemed incapable of. Its very tweakable, and has nice things like chord fucntion which is a blast when used with the arp... I'm extremely tempted to get one, just want to have another play on it in store and see if 2nd time was as good as first... its very immediate which is good.... overall I was impressed... it can sound cold, cool and warm when asked to very versitile....
Show replies
Old 18th August 2013
I'm trying to figure what synth is going to give the most mileage. I don't know if I'll ever have a chance to demo one(NL4). I'm not into all the distortion either on the P12. I like to make music, not so much sound efx. I feel the P12 is good for experimental sounds and some basic sounds, which could also sound dry... I just fear having two digital synths would get me the same results as the other. I have a Virus TI2 (all digital), I don't consider the P12 an all digital synth because of the analog signal(filters). So with the Virus being all digital, then adding a NL4, I'll get the same type of sounds from my Virus. Where as with the P12 and Virus, I get different types of sound from each. They don't sound the same at all.
Show replies
Old 18th August 2013
in that case perhaps you should consider getting an all analog polysynth..

something like xpander, ob8, andromeda, omega etc.. they sound way different from the digital TI and hybrid P12, and would complement them perfectly, opening another sonic world..
Show replies
Old 18th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermusiker View Post
I tried it at the Messe and the thing I really loved was how raw I could make it sound! Really in yer face and all that. If I didnt have a Nord Wave, I would be all over it.
I`ve yet to try the P12, something that I fear will be difficult here in Norway. The Nord is also about half the price of the P12 here.

But the P12 looks so ridiciolusly....... Damn.
So would you say that NL4 sounds like nord wave first hand or do you think NL4 and Wave would compliment one another. I have Wave and listened to all demos of NL4 which i'm liking. How are the new filters ,Are the reverb and delay different to Wave etc.?
Show replies
Old 18th August 2013
Good question, I always wanted a Nord Wave, but something held me back. Now that the NL4 is out I'm curious about it too.
Show replies
Old 18th August 2013
Gear Nut

Hi there! I liked the fx section and the filters were "warmer/more genuine" than the Wave. I`ve always felt that the Wave needs alot of tweaking to get good, warm pads and classic leads and I felt that the NL4 really nailed those sounds. It also had an immediate appeal, just that something that made me want to play it and that made it so easy to get great sounds right off the bat. Playable!

So maybe a 55-60% overlap with a slight different "feel" in the overlapping sonic spectre? This is of course EXTREMELY subjective, but I`ll get a NL4 if I get a good deal on one.

But this was just my experience!
Show replies
Old 18th August 2013
Thank you for sharing that, it's exactly what I was looking for. Someone who actually played one. I might look into getting one as well. I wish I had it here now to do a shoot out with my P12.
Show replies
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

I wish they had just made a new Nord Wave 2 with all the features of the NL4 tacked onto the Wave. I love my Wave so much though that I will probably get the NL4 just to go with it though. I think the performance/snapshot buttons look amazing, even for recording.
Show replies
Old 18th August 2013
Might be on its way...
Show replies
Old 20th August 2013
Gear Nut
For me it is great synth and one day soon I'm going to buy one. I like nords for their quality feeling, considering even knobs and buttons, and, certainly, soundwise. For talented person it is quite capable, with its 4-part multitimbrality. I like new features - effects, those additional waves, morphing capabilities, as well as new impulse morphing. That is something! And you can switch waves immediately in a variety of ways by pushing those impulse buttons, according to your imagination. This keyboard really needs someone who knows how to write electronic music.
Show replies
Old 1st September 2013
Heres a vid I found on the NL4.

Show replies
Old 1st September 2013
Lives for gear

Sounds waaay different to the NL2X! In a good way...
Show replies
Old 1st September 2013 | Show parent
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signifier View Post
Sounds waaay different to the NL2X! In a good way...
I agree.

Specs don't look like anything special, but I like the demos I've heard. I would like to check it out, if I ever get a chance for a demo.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyfake View Post
It's geared towards the Nord Electro audience. More about splits and that kind of stuff. Bass with one hand etc.
It sounds good, but it's a world apart from the last iteration if you're into synths.
Are you talking about Nord Lead 3? or Nord Wave? I always had (mixed) feelings about the sound of the NL3. I liked NL2 much better and I was hoping that NL4 could be the "perfect" NL2. Same character, more modulation routings, better low end etc...
Show replies
Old 1st September 2013
Gear Addict

Crap!

I don't want to want it, I have more urgent needs, but I always get drawn to it when I hear it. I need something else, but I want this! Kraut! Get hold of your self

If only it also had samples it might have also fulfilled most of my acute needs. I don't think synth manufacturers should hold back on little things just for keeping two other wise similar product lines identities separate. Keeping Wave and Lead as separate products with Clavias resources is vanity. Sample support would have had minuscule impact on the price, but fantastic impact on its usability, desirability and longevity.
Show replies
Old 1st September 2013
Lives for gear

I've had one for about a week....Here's my take on it. First thing is like everyone else i thought it was/is overpriced. I got an opened boxed one with full 12 month warranty for ยฃ1200. I put a figure in my head after hearing all the demos that if it was about ยฃ1250 or less i would take the plunge so that worked out.It's very nice. I have a Nord wave and feel that it excels when combined when using the downloadable samples from nord. The Nord Lead 4 is all about subtlety all around. You are not over powered with menus or multiple lfo's,effects etc. It gives (very ) ease of use all around. The effects section is simple but sounds great. The filters sound great and again you don't have loads of choice, Just i nice choice to get the job done quickly. As expected the user interface is great and a pleasure to use. The morphing feature is not a gimmick and is fun. I originally had issues with it just having a 2 digit display (no patch naming)but in use this becomes less of an issue to me.The osc. section again covers your basics and has 128 wavetables on osc. 1 that are none sweepable. They range from bell like tones to tines and (synth) piano for a wider palette of sound.You can easily create lead ,bass and pad sounds.It invites you to tweak and create .The performance mode and arp sections are the icing on the cake and i would say that this and the wave really compliment one another . It still has a nord sound to it but this is less metalic and dare i say 'warmer'. The funny thing is i was at a friends house the other day playing on his newly restored memorymoog and prophet T8. Obviously chalk and cheese but i walked home thinking if i was stranded on a desert island (with electric)and had the one choice of three ,The nord lead 4 would be the one. It's just a lot of fun and definitely clavia have thought all this through for quick ease of use all around.My advice would be to go and try one as it's all about been hands on with both sound and performance.
Show replies
Lives for gear
Quote:
Heres a vid I found on the NL4.

Fantastic!!
Show replies
๐Ÿ“ Reply