The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nord Lead 4
Old 23rd June 2017
Gear Maniac

Just picked up an NL4 super cheap! Anyone still using these? They don't seem to get as much attention as the A1 or the older models.
Show replies
Old 23rd June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetplane666666 View Post
I don't know who April is. I opened the Nord and used a Philips screwdriver to remove the shield. It's easy to do. 10 minute job. I've been using the Nord Lead 4 without the shield for over 6 months with no problems.
I'm thinking I'm going to do this to mine. I'll take a peak inside to see what shield you're talking about. Are you not having any issues after removing the shield? Btw, you posted on April Fools day.
Show replies
Old 10th February 2018
It's very similar to the NL A1 board...
Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
Nord Lead 4-img_4823.jpg  
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetplane666666 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
The hum on the NL4 and A1 is a mystery. Some people get it, some people don't. Maybe something to do with the frequency of the local power? 60hz rather than 50hz?

I'm in the UK so 50hz and no issue, as is Norway where they are made.
The more I read about the more I find that people from all over seems to have this issue. So it doesn't seem to be country dependent.

I fixed the hum issue in my Nord Lead 4. Clavia install a metal rf (radio frequency) shield over the internal switching power supply. This shield is very thin, and the magnetic field from the transformer induces it to resonate at 60 (or 50) Hz. I removed the shield in my NL4 with no negative consequences. Alternatively you can affix some weights to the shield to dampen it.

Don't do this yourself if you don't know what you are doing. I don't advise that anyone modify their Nord Lead 4, but this mod fixed my NL4, and makes it an absolute pleasure to play. Make the Nord Lead 4 great again!
After getting an A1, and puzzling over the awkward humming sound coming out of it for days... getting no help from Nord about it because it's "normal" apparently, I saw this post. I was planning to return the A1 because of the humming but really didn't want to. It's a solid, nice sounding synth.

So, I popped it open, took out the RF cage, and... it's DEAD SILENT now. Ah... I can't thank you enough.

I've had it plugged in an turned on for 2 days now just to make sure there is no change in function or heat generated and it's entirely fine. The RF cage is resonating with the power supply humming, and amplified by the insides of an all metal chassis, there is your humming sound. Take out the cage, and the problem totally resolves.

For reference, at least on my A1, it was a matter of 17 total Torx screws (size #25 I believe, I can check if anyone needs) and 4 more of the same size Torx screws to remove the cage. It's incredibly simple to open and remove. The power supply itself is a shielded black brick on a PCB, surrounded by large capacitors. Removing the cage doesn't require you to deal with any of the power supply components, it's just a perforated metal box on top of the power supply PCB.

Anyway... eternal thanks to the original poster. I'm back to blissful silence.
Show replies
Old 21st April 2018
I have a whole bunch of sounds showcased here, but it is my own commercial bank so I don't know if it's cool posting it here or what. I'm sure some one will let me know.

Show replies
Old 21st April 2018 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolongerhuman View Post
After getting an A1, and puzzling over the awkward humming sound coming out of it for days... getting no help from Nord about it because it's "normal" apparently, I saw this post. I was planning to return the A1 because of the humming but really didn't want to. It's a solid, nice sounding synth.

So, I popped it open, took out the RF cage, and... it's DEAD SILENT now. Ah... I can't thank you enough.

I've had it plugged in an turned on for 2 days now just to make sure there is no change in function or heat generated and it's entirely fine. The RF cage is resonating with the power supply humming, and amplified by the insides of an all metal chassis, there is your humming sound. Take out the cage, and the problem totally resolves.

For reference, at least on my A1, it was a matter of 17 total Torx screws (size #25 I believe, I can check if anyone needs) and 4 more of the same size Torx screws to remove the cage. It's incredibly simple to open and remove. The power supply itself is a shielded black brick on a PCB, surrounded by large capacitors. Removing the cage doesn't require you to deal with any of the power supply components, it's just a perforated metal box on top of the power supply PCB.

Anyway... eternal thanks to the original poster. I'm back to blissful silence.
You are very welcome! Just for the record, my NL4 has been working perfectly without the PSU shield for years now. The shield performs no useful function in the machine.
Show replies
Old 12th May 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Unlikely, as both can be considered feature complete. And Clavia usually doesn't add things that are not printed on the interface frontplate.
Show replies
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

6 years since launch.

Hope the NL5 isnt that far away and they bring back the led rings and more modulation sources/destinations as in the NL4.
Show replies
Old 13th May 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

So far Clavia has been super as far as introducing new synths is concerned, since they released the NL4 and NLA1 .

I'm not sure if they have decided to stop making any new Nords, or new Synths, but that's the reality so far. Hopefully this will change.
Show replies
Old 13th May 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbindin View Post
hopefully with more voices. 24 doesnt seem like much 4 parts imo, if you utilise all 4 parts then you are down single digits though I could be wrong as I'm not sure how voices are allocated, whether dynamically or 12, 8, 6 per layer depending on layers used.
As far as I can tell from years of using it, it's dynamic allocation. I've never been disappointed in the NL4's polyphony...unless you're playing huge chords with all 4 parts layered and long releases, you won't run into problems.

As for NL5 - I'd be fine with the sound engine of the NL4, but with a screen (mostly for patch organization / recall), a depth knob on the effects, no sacrifice of LFO1 when using the Arp, and MIDI assignment per-performance. I'd love the "keyboard range" morph group from the NL3, and of course the LED rings from that same synth, but I think that will NEVER happen.
Show replies
📝 Reply