The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
why are Romplers hated so much?
Old 1st April 2015
Gear Maniac
I like Romplers. For the record I used the banjo sample in the XP-30 when editing a sitar patch. Everyone loved my Sitar patch!
Old 1st April 2015
Lives for gear

Just today, i was looking online at the Jup80.
That thing is amazballs! Needs a better UI but,...
Old 2nd July 2015 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom75 View Post
All I'm saying is a none sample synth will always have far more editing options and expression...
Since I'm late to the party here, maybe I'm missing the point made.

First of all, can I get a ruling on the definition of a "rompler"? To me that's a fairly derogatory term used to pigeonhole any instrument whose sound source is a digital sample, and there seems to be a ton of snobbery on this issue -- I saw a thread with some fella recommending an MKS-80 as someone's first synth to "get their feet wet" (and BTW, if that person is reading this, could you adopt me? I'd love a BMW 7 series as my 'first' car...)

I mean, is there a delineation between what I consider to be a "rompler" (Roland's U series, Yamaha's MU modules) and a "digital synthesizer" like a Kurzweil K2XXX or a Yamaha TG? Looks like someone's made an exception for the Roland JD-990 and called it a synthesizer, but if you're an analog snob^H^H^H^H purist, do you classify the Yamaha DX series as a "rompler" too?

I think it's awesome that my Roland Paraphonic 505 is enjoying a resurgence of popularity, but performing with that thing was a pain, making the lead singer vamp while I furiously adjusted sliders and tweaked through my headphones. And I'll never understand this late fascination with monohponic modular synthesizers -- to me that just goes hand-in-hand with the whole steampunk movement that idolizes a period that doesn't really have much to idolize. And let's face it, on your best day you won't approach Keith Emerson on his worst...

Since this whole thread is heavily saturated with opinon, here's mine: the ultimate discussion should be about music, not noise.

But to the original point I'm responding to -- that a "non-sampled synth will always have far more editing options and expression", that's just a load of the stuff that comes out the south end of a north-bound horse, plain and simple.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dluther View Post
to me that just goes hand-in-hand with the whole steampunk movement that idolizes a period that doesn't really have much to idolize.
Is that like that whole Lords Of The Ring organisation that idolizes the historic period when there were still elves and orcs around?

In case you don't understand the point: Steampunk = Fantasy = not real = there's no such period in history
Old 2nd July 2015
Nothing wrong with my 707 it compliments my analogs very well
Lives for gear

The fact of the matter is that romplers make music that sells. They are synthesizers, and if I could only have one instrument, it would be a rompler. Real musicians and producers don't care about digital vs analog and rompler vs modular. A good sound is a good sound, who cares where it came from?
Old 2nd July 2015
Lives for gear

I love my JV-2080. Yes, it's a rompler, but the JV's have pretty deep synthesis. 4 tones, each with it's own filter, envs, and lfos (2 lfos per tone). And is rather easy to edit from the front panel (nice and large screen), but I mostly program it with a software editor.
Lives for gear

The JD-990 is great, rompler or not.

There's plenty of it in my latest track; it provides the pads, some of the drums, and that lovely deep bass. I haven't had it for long and this is the first time I've ever used it in a track:

The D550 doesn't really qualify as a rompler, does it?

D.
Old 3rd July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy View Post
The fact of the matter is that romplers make music that sells. They are synthesizers, and if I could only have one instrument, it would be a rompler. Real musicians and producers don't care about digital vs analog and rompler vs modular. A good sound is a good sound, who cares where it came from?
THIS
^

Many really astute points made in that paragraph (high density reality).

I love the analog stuff that I have, but it's absence wouldn't prevent me from making music with any number of great romplers that are out there (many that can be had fro nearly free). I'm in love with my Yamaha CS6R. One of the most amazing electronic instruments that I have ever owned. Love the E-mu P2500. It's got so much there. My JD800 is never leaving. In fact, if left with the choice of only having access to one instrument. It would end up being a rompler simply based on the range of possibilities..
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy View Post
I actually like Romplers especially older ones like the CS2x with older "dated" samples because it has character and tweaking them out pitch shifting samples and mangling them can lead to interesting even fresh sounds.

Last edited by 227861; 3rd July 2015 at 09:59 AM..
Old 3rd July 2015
Gear Nut

I love rompers! I've had my Motif XS since 07 and it doesn't get old. Realistic and ethnic sounds are great on it and using it as the sequencer to all my gear is inspiring at times. One "romper" and some analog synths is a perfect combo
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dluther View Post
I mean, is there a delineation between what I consider to be a "rompler" (Roland's U series, Yamaha's MU modules) and a "digital synthesizer" like a Kurzweil K2XXX or a Yamaha TG? Looks like someone's made an exception for the Roland JD-990 and called it a synthesizer, but if you're an analog snob^H^H^H^H purist, do you classify the Yamaha DX series as a "rompler" too?
No, you classify machines that can synthesize sounds from scratch (e.g., DX series, K2xxx, JD-990, TG-77) as synthesizers, and machines that play back samples (e.g., TG-77, TG-85, K2xxx, JD-990) as ROMplers.

When a machine can do *both* (e.g., K2xxx, TG-77, JD-990) it's generally best to understand its actual capabilities before going on a rant.

As for the other statement, are you reacting to "always" or have you really never experienced a difference in control and expressiveness between a ROMpler and a synthesizer?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krylenko View Post
No, you classify machines that can synthesize sounds from scratch (e.g., DX series, K2xxx, JD-990, TG-77) as synthesizers, and machines that play back samples (e.g., TG-77, TG-85, K2xxx, JD-990) as ROMplers.
I generally agree with what your saying ,except the K2XX series can synthesise sounds from scratch with out having to use any sampled waveforms.
There are DSP blocks to generate sine, square and saw waveforms
Deleted b598644
ROMplers is too general a definition
you cant generalize samplers too...

a sound canvas is way different than a wavestation
Old 4th July 2015
Lives for gear

I do my best never to indulge in 'hate' especially for something as benign as a simple old 19" rack box or keyboard with some sounds in it, which someone lovingly made for us to use - awww, brings a tear to my eye. I reserve hate for things that really deserve it such as Jack Johnson, dogcatchers, and people who burn down churches. As far as romplers go, I don't use them but that's only because I don't have any. If I did have some they would be yet another or my beloved children, good at some things but not so good at others. There would be always a place for them in the band. Prejudice against the differently abled is simply wrong. I bet with an Eventide or an analog filter and the right patch they'd be simply wonderful here and there. I hope the DO make a comeback - would serve everyone right. Waaaa - software replaced it - Waaaaa - analog is better - Waaaa - ITB OTB EIEIO - we really need that crying baby emoji - mod, a little help?
Old 4th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
I generally agree with what your saying ,except the K2XX series can synthesise sounds from scratch with out having to use any sampled waveforms.
There are DSP blocks to generate sine, square and saw waveforms
Exactly, that's why I listed it in both categories.
Old 8th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krylenko View Post

When a machine can do *both* (e.g., K2xxx, TG-77, JD-990) it's generally best to understand its actual capabilities before going on a rant.

As for the other statement, are you reacting to "always" or have you really never experienced a difference in control and expressiveness between a ROMpler and a synthesizer?
Exactly, that's why I listed it in both categories.
Dunno about that i recall My k2000 has rom samples that you apply the algorithm to? Not got an Sy77 but have a SY55 which I always assumed was a cut down version thats rom based I assume the 77 is too?
JD990 is a rompler it kind of the same as My JD800 with a few extras but in a 19"rack? The Sine SAW Square waves are samples there is no generator in there. the DSP is for the effects and Filters?
Were you refering to romplers that have a synth architecture to manipulate those samples as a synth to distinguise against say a home keyboard that has fixed sounds like piano that can't be edited?

It seems as though lots of people have a different idea of what a rompler is.
I also find it ammusing when people say my old motif, or the Triton was great but out of date now. I think My most Modern Keyboard/ Modules are either Kurzweil K2K or My A station or Quasi Quasar No the VK8r is? To me a Motif is like state of the art
To Be honest i recently was asked to play live again something I've no done for many years I grabbed a few trusty keyboards ( romplers) Just found them to sound pretty samey through a PA. Long story short ended up using a laptop
as the range of sounds was better.
📝 Reply