The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sync Strymon Timeline Delay With Logic Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 17th April 2013
Gear Maniac

Sync Strymon Timeline Delay With Logic

Hi friends,

Don't know if this is the right board to post this question on, but seems as good as any. So I'm wondering what exactly I need to do to get my Timeline delays in sync with Logic's clock, so that the delay is always in time with my project. Not sure if it's just as simple as plugging the Timeline in to my midi controller (Novation Impulse) which is what I'm doing now, but I haven't seen any definite indication that things are synced. I don't know, I'm new to this area of production, I haven't dealt with syncing pedals and the like to a DAW before, so any patience you can spare to help me sort this all out would be greatly appreciated. I'm also wondering how exactly I can control the Strymon pedal using automation data from Logic. Thanks!
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

Make sure Logic is sending MIDI clock down the port that you have the Strymon connected to.
Old 17th April 2013
Gear Maniac

hm.. I guess that's an incredibly basic thing that for some reason I still don't know how to do (haven't done much midi work). Well, guess it shouldn't be too hard for me to sort this out then if that's all there is to it.
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

Its either Preferences>MIDI or Settings> MIDI but you want to get to the Sync tab. You are only a few clicks away. Not in the studio now, I'll post it later for you if you have't sorted it out by then.
Old 17th April 2013
Gear Maniac

a'ight, thanks pal. then to make sure the strymon's repeats are in sync with the tune i'm working on- i just dial in a delay time in ms or bpm that matches the song? is that how it works? or should the strymon only allow me to choose delay times that are in time with the project when synced? is this a stupid question? thanks.
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

No clue on how the Strymon works. I imagine that when it receives a MIDI clock, delay times will change to intervals of the incoming clock.
Old 17th April 2013
yep its just in the midi preferences in logic, you click a box to send midi clock out then select where you want it set to
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

Preferences>MIDI>Sync>MIDI Sync Project Settings
Then tick the box and select destination that you want to transmit MIDI clock to.
Old 30th April 2013
Gear Maniac

Hello again everyone, thanks for all the responses so far.

I tried adjusting the MIDI Sync Project Settings so as to send Clock data to the timeline, but it doesn't seem to have worked. The only MIDI out port that I have from my computer is through my Novation Impulse, I don't have any other means of interfacing MIDI with my computer right now. So, the Timeline is plugged in to the MIDI out of the Novation, and I have the MIDI Sync set to send data to the Novation controller, but the message doesn't seem to be getting passed along to the Timeline from what I can tell, since I am still adjusting delay times in terms of straight ms, and they always eventually fall out of time with the project.

So, given my setup that has a Novation Impulse controller in the path, how can I get this Strymon to pick up the dang Clock info from Logic? Strymon themselves don't know, so I'm feeling hooped here at the moment. Also, I don't have internet at my place for the time being, so I haven't been able to keep on this thread every day, hence the delayed response here.

Any further suggestions would be great, thanks!
Old 30th April 2013
Lives for gear

Go to page 5 of the Setup menu on the Novation. Set the MIDI Out Source to USB - the top line of the Novation's display will show "DIN From" and you need to set the bottom line to show "Usb" and not "Loc" (local). This way, the data appearing at the MIDI Out port on the Novation will come NOT from the "local" keys and knobs on the Novation, but will instead be passed from the computer via the USB port. When you send MIDI Beat Clock from Logic to the Novation, it will now appear at the MIDI Out jack on the Novation - connect a standard 5-pin MIDI lead from the MIDI Out on the Novation to the MIDI In on the Strymon.

Page 21 in the Novation Impulse manual.
Old 30th April 2013
Gear Maniac

Thanks for spoonfeeding that segment of the manual to me, I needed that! I'll let you know if I have any other problems, but this ought to solve it!

Thanks again.
Old 1st May 2013
Gear Maniac

Ok, well, I'm really at a loss here. I've done everything that's been suggested in this thread, the Novation is now setup to send MIDI data from USB, but the Strymon does nothing to indicate that it's getting any message from anywhere. Delay times are still in ms and seemingly have nothing to do with my track. Hasn't anyone had a Timeline which they have synced to Logic so that all their Strymon repeats would lock in with the tempo of their track?
Old 1st May 2013
Lives for gear

sync isn't usually automatic. it may only be setup for certain patches. if it has it, you should be able to find out how to do it through the manual. look in the appendix for midi clock sync of midi sync. often just setting the tempo to be the same as the track bpm can be better anyhow. but that depends on just how good a midi synced echo it is.
Old 1st May 2013
Lives for gear

I've used a strymon with logic, and it picks up clock sync fine-assuming you've selected midi clock/sync in the timeline global settings. If you haven't set up the strymon to receive clock, then there's your problem.

If not, I'm guessing its an issue with the impulse and how it routes midi. If you're not averse to dropping a few bucks, you might buy a cheapo USB to midi interface and sync through that.
Old 15th June 2013
Gear Head

set timeline to channel 9
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search