The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Could Akai reissue the MPC 3000?
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

Could Akai reissue the MPC 3000?

Were Akai to release a replica MPC 3000 with a zip drive and updated memory would you by it? If so how much would you pay for it?
Old 17th April 2013
Gear Addict

Nope. I couldn't imagine going back to hardware samplers, ever, even if they were free. I gave my last one away and I've never missed it. And Zip disks? Well, for sure they sucked less than Quick Disks, but I still cannot see any reason to use them today.

There's a good reason why the sampler was the first casualty of the software revolution...
Old 17th April 2013
Gear Maniac

No. They would sell 100 units tops and that wouldn't cut it to recuperate their production costs ect. Also they'd be dumb to go with ZIP on a reissue.
Old 17th April 2013
I feel like when I've got a computer, I'm working on music - when I've got hardware, I'm making music. That said, I would only buy a reissue of the MPC 3000 if Akai brought Roger Linn back in to redesign it, to add his usual touch of awesomeness. Otherwise I'd just get the original, it's not like they're hard to find.
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

not a chance in hell it's gonna happen... roger linn has major beef with nukai... they cut him off the payroll first thing after buying out akai japan.. on an even bigger note it's actually pretty unlikely akai even release another standalone hardware MPC, hybrid is the future i'm told... lol @ zip drive re-issue
Old 17th April 2013
SEED78
there is a ton of MPC3000's still out there - some have a few generic 'issues' that need repairing, but its not a nightmare, and that MPC is easy to find for the few that want it.

on a NEW MPC3000 I'd like:

• the functionality of 3.5os on the MPC3000
• some features of the 4000 etc, like having better sound previewing options
• balanced XLR outs
• internal harddrive, and usb connectivity
• VGA out as standard
• WAV/AIFF etc support
• more pad cut offs

which actually makes it too similar to the 2500/4000/5000...

a small MPC60 reissue with more storage than the classic MPC60 might be more popular - could market it as a gritty drum machine for sample payback

my advice - just get a ASQ10 and add as many different samplers as you like...
Old 17th April 2013
Gear Guru

Akai's idea of a replica probably consists of using the cheapest parts possible to make it.
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

Yes, original everything!
Old 17th April 2013
SEED78
only current gap in the market sampler wise is for something REALLY audiophile, discrete class A sampler, with valve vintage vibe.

or, a SP1200 reissue - would sell miles more than a MPC3000 reissue.
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

No, i wouldn't.
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

Get an MPC4000 and trigger an S3000 or S3200 from it (not an xl model), and you will completely forget about an MPC3000.
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

I have 4000. I still think about the 3
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

Actually, Akai needs to finish the 4000,5000
Old 17th April 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ton splash View Post
Actually, Akai needs to finish the 4000,5000
One MPC4K feature I had hoped for, but never implemented, was the streaming samples from the hard-disk... Oh well, still wouldn't trade it for no other MPC..
Old 17th April 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
Get an MPC4000 and trigger an S3000 or S3200 from it (not an xl model), and you will completely forget about an MPC3000.
But the groove man, the groove!
Old 17th April 2013
Here for the gear

As a 2500 owner, probably not. I wouldn't want to go to using zip disks. I mainly sequence and not sample much.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 17th April 2013
Gear Guru
I'm done with MPC's. I had my fun with them. No regrets.

But I would consider a reissue of the MPC3000.
Thing is .. people like me aren't the best target market for good business.
Old 18th April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone View Post
Were Akai to release a replica MPC 3000 with a zip drive and updated memory would you by it?
Zip drive? If we're dreaming here, why not put a USB slot on it instead so you can store things on a flash drive? I'd prefer an S1000 reissue with a USB slot. They still make MPCs.
Old 18th April 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
They still make MPCs.
I'm pretty sure all standalone hardware MPCs have been discontinued.
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstep View Post
Don't they still make the 500 and 2500 ?
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

^ nope... and there is very little chance imo they will go back to standalone hardware.
iPad & PC/Mac hybrid MPC's is what they are making now, it allows them to make a much more substantial profit, as the hardware is infinitely cheaper to build, relegating the brains & memory to your computer/ios device. furthermore re-issuing a 1:1 version of the 3000 would cost a fortune (don't forget they originally sold for like $3700) ... so you're really better off just buying it used..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
only current gap in the market sampler wise is for something REALLY audiophile, discrete class A sampler, with valve vintage vibe.

or, a SP1200 reissue - would sell miles more than a MPC3000 reissue.
i agree.. unfortunately a SP1200 reissue is even more unlikely as E-mu was purchased by Creative and basically only serves as branding image to their prosumer products.. i also doubt many of it's components could still be found, especially the SSM filters.

just like roland... i think the future of classic hardware sampling drum machines will come from elsewhere.. i agree that a proper class A product with warm high-end converters, high to low sampling rates, analog filters, tight sequencer & sync options would be killer.. maybe if roger linn decides to drop LinnDrum II one day ..
Old 18th April 2013
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
i think the future of classic hardware sampling drum machines will come from elsewhere.. i agree that a proper class A product with warm high-end converters, high to low sampling rates, analog filters, tight sequencer & sync options would be killer.. maybe if roger linn decides to drop LinnDrum II one day ..
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayteejr View Post
One MPC4K feature I had hoped for, but never implemented, was the streaming samples from the hard-disk... Oh well, still wouldn't trade it for no other MPC..
Some of the other ones have streaming hard disk recorders. Might work for you?

Akai should reissue their legacy products with a software update.
Old 18th April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
Don't they still make the 500 and 2500 ?
They seemed to have stopped a while ago, they let the remaining stock sell out. I toyed with the idea recently. Seems they moved into a software hybrid thing with Ren. I won't touch any hardware that depends on a computer, the history hasn't been good and I don't get the point of it. But I spend a lot of time on computers so I'm jaded.

I used to have a 4K that died on me. I think these units are too big for the times, ymmv. For the moment I now I get my digital drums out of Korg workstations.
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

I think a lot of musicians would buy one for 600 bucks if it sounds like the original but has a few extra connectivity options. I would be all over it. Would you rather have an MPC 3000 or an Octapad for the money?
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
I think there's a gap in the market for a mid-priced (say, 800-1200€/$) sampler. Easy to use, lots of real time tweakability, lots of fun, good sequencer, great FX and filters, maybe even an analog filter and of course things you'd expect from a modern sampler (lots of memory and storage, easy connectivity with a computer, ability to change programs instantly so you can play a seamless live set and stuff).

The Octatrack kinda fits the bill, but many don't like it's UI and it's FX aren't top notch. Also heard some complaints about it's sound quality.

At the moment, there is no THE hardware sampler to buy. Something that combines great sound quality with a great interface.

Any idea if Roger Linn's LinnDrum 2 is still in development?
Old 18th April 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitsnake View Post
I feel like when I've got a computer, I'm working on music - when I've got hardware, I'm making music. That said, I would only buy a reissue of the MPC 3000 if Akai brought Roger Linn back in to redesign it, to add his usual touch of awesomeness. Otherwise I'd just get the original, it's not like they're hard to find.
I agree with this.

I own a 3000 with the Vaxcelli OS (which is now hard to find) that I use to sequence all my synths. Its easy, solid, and pleasure to use but if they added a few things to the reissue and did not compromise the original design I would look into it.
Old 18th April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by footstep View Post
Wow, I'm a little shocked. I looked around an no one is selling them anymore. Glad I got my 1000 already, since this was one item I was always reluctant to buy used because of the pads.
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrazal View Post
I used to have a 4K that died on me. I think these units are too big for the times, ymmv.
Its heavy too. Its alright, its attached to that sequencer.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search