The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Roland msq700 - midi sync & dcb sequence?
Old 13th April 2013
Here for the gear

Roland msq700 - midi sync & dcb sequence?

I was under the impression that I could use my msq700 to run sequences on my juno60 while being slaved to either an external midi clock or send midi clock data out to another midi device / daw. Not possible? I'm aware you can't sequence with midi and dcb simultaneously but dcb and midi clock should work? No?

If this only works with din sync is there something substantially smaller and less expensive than a 707 that converts dcb to midi?

Many thanks to anyone who can provide more guidance.
Old 14th April 2013
Gear Addict

Kenton Pro 4?
Old 14th April 2013
Lives for gear

No the MSQ won't do both MIDI and DCB at the same time. Look for an MD-8 converter box.
Old 16th April 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I'm really only looking to sync midi clock. I prefer sequencing with the msq. If a unit such as the 707 is needed to bridge that gap then that's cool, are there boxes that are solely used to convert din sync to midi clock?
Old 24th April 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmbq View Post
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I'm really only looking to sync midi clock. I prefer sequencing with the msq. If a unit such as the 707 is needed to bridge that gap then that's cool, are there boxes that are solely used to convert din sync to midi clock?
Many... we use a Korg KMS-30.
Old 24th April 2013
Lives for gear

Korg KMS-30 is rock solid.

many moons ago i used an MSQ-700 to convert MIDI to SYNC and even used it as a MIDI sequencer. it was fun but very limited (not ina super cool way).

KMS-30 will allow you to slave MIDI to a SYNC device, like an 808 - super cool fun to do!
Old 27th April 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
Korg KMS-30 is rock solid.

many moons ago i used an MSQ-700 to convert MIDI to SYNC and even used it as a MIDI sequencer. it was fun but very limited (not ina super cool way).

KMS-30 will allow you to slave MIDI to a SYNC device, like an 808 - super cool fun to do!
Thanks blinky. Just to be Shure, I can run a dcb sequence to my juno 60 from msq and hook up the Kms 30 to the din sync port and out come midi clock to trigger my midi drum machine, or daw, etc. thanks!
Old 29th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmbq View Post
Thanks blinky. Just to be Shure, I can run a dcb sequence to my juno 60 from msq and hook up the Kms 30 to the din sync port and out come midi clock to trigger my midi drum machine, or daw, etc. thanks!
that will work.
Old 30th April 2013
Lives for gear
Confirmed.

I use to use my MSQ to sequence my J60 via DCB.. Clock was supplied via DIN sync.

I'd also use it to sequence my Alpha Juno (via midi) and again, supply clock via DIN sync. The advantage was I could stop the MSQ while everything was still running.. Write a new riff on the fly and drop it back in by pressing play (hitting play on the beat).. This was harder to do if you wanted to use midi clock.

Such a great machine.. I sold my MSQ a while ago, but I do often miss it's immediacy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search