The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Tranzistow Synthesizer Demo
Old 8th April 2013
My friend made a few demos of my software synthesizer called Tranzistow which I developed just for fun

Tranzistow Demo

All sounds and effects have been generated on Tranzistow only. No other software, synthesizers and/or effects have been used.
Attached Files

Retro.mp3 (2.82 MB, 6277 views)

Polysix.mp3 (1.99 MB, 5695 views)

Industrial noise.mp3 (2.86 MB, 5926 views)

Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

Very cool. I picked it as a wavetable without looking in the first 5 seconds I've been looking for other wavetable options. Where can we get a hold of this nice thing?
Old 8th April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Very cool. I picked it as a wavetable without looking in the first 5 seconds I've been looking for other wavetable options. Where can we get a hold of this nice thing?
Yes, my friend Miro is into such dark/experimental stuff a lot, so he stressed this wavetable side of the dual modeling/wavetable engine.

Unfortunately, this synthesizer is not available to the public yet. And I am not sure if it ever will be - it is tested under 2-3 hosts only, user interface is very spartan (although highly practical) and probably not for everyone's taste, it has a lot of strange features (and a few quirks that we now use as features), 64-bit version isn't planned, Mac version isn't planned, RTAS version isn't planned, etc.

Edit: 64-bit VST version done
Old 8th April 2013
Thanks, Don
Old 21st June 2013
Two more demos made by myself ... Mostly just drones and noodling around while testing reverb and various filter parameters. Only Tranzistow has been used, nothing else, recorded directly from mixer and normalized, all errors and quirks left as is.

Warning: Those demos are very harsh at moments, and i mean - really HARSH, so watch your ears and speakers

http://electro-music.com/forum/download.php?id=34983

http://electro-music.com/forum/download.php?id=34982
Old 21st September 2013
Gear Maniac

Now that I have had the time to really listen to the audio of this instrument for a while, I really think this sounds great, and i would like to ask you to consider in making this available to the public!

And which serious individual cares about GUI`S? thats targeted for consumers and young people mostly! sound is first period.
To me its interface is very logical, and reminds me of the interfaces used in avionics helicopters aeronautics spacecrafts and are focussed on to get things done without all the fuss, proficient and great! In my oppinion this topples most things i have seen towards applied synthesis in any software instrument, and by the sound of it it sure does sound interesting!

I enjoyed listening to ghostship this evening great stuff!
Old 21st September 2013
Lives for gear

I want to see this one as a 1- knob per function hardware synth!

....oh yeah, just as an addendum, i am still listening to the "ghost ship" - usually i turn off sound clips after a few seconds of listening, so both you and your friend have something good going there
Old 22nd September 2013
Gear Maniac

1:1 scale on this with an hardware interface and calibrated potentiometers and switches for everything HELL YES it would brobably be hard to find a suitable hangar to live in though ....and the cost
Old 22nd September 2013
Thanks, guys

Now I am waiting for demos from Don Solaris

I don't care about fancy graphics at all - I wanted user interface to have retro look (like on the old computer screens/terminals) and to work great on a touchscreen. Such horizontal-oriented interface was the only practical way to squeeze 2500 parameters (per patch) on just 13 main pages (+ another 13 pages with hidden parameters). There are various "shortcuts" to make it easier - for example, all sliders have vertical mode => you can move a mouse vertically outside the slider area and use the whole display height for a single slider. With my 23" touch-LCD it's a breeze to work with ...

And there will be even more parameters! Now after I finished development of the 64-bit version, I am exploring GPU programming capabilities in order to develop additive engine which will run in parallel on a graphics processor. My idea is to make 4 additive oscillators per voice, each oscillator with 128 harmonics, each harmonic with own envelope and LFO, etc.

BTW, Tranzistow's little brother Diodow is available for download here (both 32-bit and 64-bit versions included):

HrastProgrammer: Diodow

It contains roughly 10% capabilities/features of it's bigger brother but, despite this, it has enough capabilities to keep you busy for quite some time and very complex sounds can be made with 4x oscillators, 4x filters, 4x LFOs, 4x 5-stage envelopes, 16x+16x modulation matrix, 4x delays, etc.
Old 22nd September 2013
Gear Maniac

I will be free for a couple of days and i am going to try Diodow, i got a hunch that it will probably be FANTASTIC!

The additive idea is great please do it!!!
Old 29th September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CODEC View Post
The additive idea is great please do it!!!
During the last few weeks I made a working prototipe running on my Radeon HD7970 GHz Edition GPU card.

This prototype additive engine consists of 256 additive oscillators. Each oscillator has 240 dual-harmonics. Dual-harmonic is a combination of two harmonics (so, basically, there are 480 harmonics per oscillator) where the second one is PW phase-shifted in order to have PulseWidth at additive level. Each dual-harmonic has 8-stage loopable envelope. All oscillators are fully bandlimited which means that you can, for example, sweep a saw wave and the engine will automatically remove harmonics over Nyquist as you pitch up (and add harmonics as you pitch down). To avoid sudden jumps when removing and adding harmonics (which can be quite hearable in some cases) there is a built-in XFade functionality which crossfades between old and new window.

More or less, this is additive Tranzistow engine ported to GPU with a difference that Tranzistow works with up to 1024 dual-harmonics and it cannot calculate each harmonic in realtime because there isn't enough CPU power to do this + everything else Tranzistow does at the same time. So, I am precalculating a lot of things in advance on Tranzistow and store calculated data in memory - this process is invisible to the user but needs a lot of RAM. Today's machines have enough RAM, anyway, so in many cases it is better to use more RAM when possible in order to save some CPU for other things. The other limitation is that Tranzistow harmonics don't have envelopes - you cannot control how individual harmonics change in time, which is quite a big difference between those two engines.

Now, on GPU, I have the ability to implement a pure additive engine which can calculate/process all harmonics in realtime. Those 256 oscillators are divided into groups of 4 which means that there are 64 voices, each with 4 additive oscillators. In total, this is 480*256 = 122880 harmonics + 240*256 = 61440 envelopes running in parallel at the same time, all this at 96kHz sample rate with a latency of ~5ms on my E-MU 1820M! GPU usage is around 60%, so there is still some space for additional features like OscSync at additive level, etc.

Now I have to organize all this and assemble it into Tranzistow ...
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

Interesting stuff, keep up the good work.
Old 1st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
Interesting stuff, keep up the good work.
Thanks

Yesterday, I was experimenting with the possibility to emulate granular/graintable synthesis using Tranzistow's wavetable/additive engine paired with userwaves and came up with this demo - this is just one patch, nothing else

HrastProgrammer + Tranzistow: GrainWave
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

Sounds fantastic!! Great work. :D
Old 1st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokid View Post
Sounds fantastic!! Great work. :D
Thanks
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

Hey, I like the album. Is it available for download? I'd love to listen to it on a good system.
Old 1st October 2013
Yes, I enabled the download - please, try to see if it works ...
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HrastProgrammer View Post
Yes, I enabled the download - please, try to see if it works ...
Yes - downloading it now. Thanks a lot!
Old 5th November 2013
I just finished Additive/GPU engine for Tranzistow ...

4 multi parts with 16 additive voices (for 64 voices in total), each voice with 4 additive oscillators, each oscillator with 240 dual-harmonics and internal virtual sync oscillator. Dual-harmonic is a combination of two harmonics where the second one is PW phase-shifted in order to have PulseWidth at additive level (so, basically, there are 480 harmonics per oscillator * 256 oscillators = 122880 harmonics processed per sample). Each dual-harmonic has 8-stage loopable envelope (61440 envelopes processed per sample). All oscillators are fully bandlimited which means that you can, for example, sweep a saw wave and the engine will automatically remove harmonics over Nyquist as you pitch up (and add harmonics as you pitch down). To avoid sudden jumps when removing and adding harmonics (which can be quite hearable in some cases) there is a built-in XFade functionality which crossfades between old and new harmonic window.

As icing on the cake, I implemented 136-band formant/spectral filter (with 8Hz-20kHz range) for each additive oscillator (meaning that 256 filters are running at the same time processing data for a total of 256 * 136 = 34816 bands per sample). This filter can be used for everything, from 136-band EQ via various resonant/non-resonant lowpasss, bandpass, highpass, formant (multiple bandpass) to some completely crazy and yet unheard filters. Additive oscillators are sub-modules inside main Tranzistow oscillators - they share common pitch/frequency parameters together with the same output and they can be used as audio/modulation sources in tandem with the regular oscillators + additive output can be further processed through Tranzistow engine as any other audio source inside the synthesizer.

I tested this engine on Radeon HD7970 and nVidia FX2700M graphics cards, and I would like to ask some of you to test it on your systems. You need a GPU with OpenCL drivers (all newer ATI/AMD and nVidia should have them) and a little VST test module - contact me by mail if you want to do a test ...

The complete 64-voice additive engine described above running at 96kHz sample rate consumes around 45% of the available power on my HD7970 graphics card (non-overclocked to keep fan noise low). Managed to squeeze just 12 oscillators from FX2700M, though, as it is optimized more for ATI/AMD than nVidia.
Old 5th November 2013
Thanks Don, great work
Old 8th March 2014
Here for the gear

Diodow

I just discovered Diodow and I like it a lot. It's a refreshing and exciting VSTi. Well worth a bump for this thread.

Just make sure to read the description on the dev's website carefully!
For example, VST parameter automation is not supported by default and needs to be turned on manually by creating an .ini file.
Old 8th March 2014
Thanks for bumping the thread, Ronn

BTW, anyone who want to try Tranzistow can download a demo here:

HrastProgrammer: Tranzistow

The other day I made a short track for a compilation and thought it would be a nice demostration of some Tranzistow wavetable/filtering capabilities ... So, here it is:

HrastProgrammer: Wavecomputer (He's Alive)

Various wavetable madness
Attached Files

HrastProgrammer_Wavecomputer.mp3 (8.33 MB, 5288 views)

Old 8th March 2014
Oli
Lives for gear

Is the Tranzistow additive engine still not to be released? I haven't followed this for a while. Was it too hard to support GPU code for customers?

edit - just downloaded Wavecomputer; sounds incredible. Really fantastic work all round.
Old 8th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
Is the Tranzistow additive engine still not to be released? I haven't followed this for a while. Was it too hard to support GPU code for customers?
Additive engine for Tranzistow is finished and working well but is not tested enough on various configurations, so I didn't release it yet. Maybe it's time to make a demo version ...

Quote:
edit - just downloaded Wavecomputer; sounds incredible. Really fantastic work all round.
Thanks. Here is another track while I am in the "wavecomputing" mood. This time it is my own wavetable created from a field recording made in the middle of nowhere while I tried to turn on my recorder which didn't cooperate. Basically, I am demonstrating granular-over-wavetable capabilities here ...
Attached Files
Old 4th April 2014
Free Soundbank for Diodow and Tranzistow Synthesizers

Ed Ten Eyck (edtaudio.com) made a fantastic free soundbank for my Diodow synthesizer.

It can be downloaded here:

http://www.hrastprogrammer.com/hrast...Diodow_EDT.zip

Free Diodow download here:

HrastProgrammer: Diodow

Those sounds can be loaded into my Tranzistow synthesizer as well (only registered version, of course). A lot of them use samples in LA style and, by default, sample engine is configured for higher quality so they can be transposed over several octaves without aliasing artifacts. This uses more CPU and can lower the available polyphony. So, if you have less powerful computer and don't need transposing over several octaves you can lower the "UpSample" parameter.

Sounds are free to use in your music, you can modify them according to your needs etc. but you cannot make another soundbank or any other product derived from it!
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

I'm not sure if replying to this at this point in time makes any sense but since I just found out about this synth today, I figured I have nothing to lose.

It's 5 years later and I'm just hearing about this synth. I went to the site and see there is no way to purchase this thing still.

There is no point in my demoing something that I can't ever use for my music so if the developer is still around, is this ever coming out? I'm assuming at this point, no, which is a shame. This would have been one hell of a synth to play around with as a programmer from back in the 80s. But alas, I fear this is an abandoned project.

If I'm wrong, please let me know.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Perhaps contact HrastProgrammer directly and you might arrange something. Hrast is not doing it for the money, but for his own productions.

From vague recollection, I remember Hrast saying something like if you make 100 worthy patches for it with the demo, you can get the synth. Don't take my word for it, though. In any case, Hrast's e-mail is at the bottom of his website, mail him. Transistow is pretty much a "closed secret circle" kind of synth.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Perhaps contact HrastProgrammer directly and you might arrange something. Hrast is not doing it for the money, but for his own productions.

From vague recollection, I remember Hrast saying something like if you make 100 worthy patches for it with the demo, you can get the synth. Don't take my word for it, though. In any case, Hrast's e-mail is at the bottom of his website, mail him. Transistow is pretty much a "closed secret circle" kind of synth.
Thanks man. This thing just looks off the charts a programmer's dream.

I'll contact him but I won't hold my breath.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Also, try Diodow, it's the little brother, but still plenty stuff to play with, and it's free with no limitations.

Transistow is pretty much like these synths were in an orgy and had Transistow as a child: Alesis Andromeda, Waldorf Q, Novation Supernova, Roland D-50, Kawai K5000, John Bowen Solaris, Oberheim Xpander, Waldorf Microwave II/XT, and DX7. Plus more.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

OK I know I was not crazy. Read this doc: http://www.hrastprogrammer.com/hrast...Tranzistow.pdf

"But, I would be very happy to give a free Tranzistow license (either Windows or Linux or both) to anyone under the
following conditions:
(*) That you created a bank of at least 200 of your own original Tranzistow/Diodow patches.
(*) Or you made some other valuable Tranzistow contributions like full manual, exhaustive tutorials, etc."
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search