The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MFB Dominion 1
Old 6th February 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouranon View Post
I love the Dominion 1, the sound and the look/layout, but does anyone else feel like the envelopes could be a little snappier? When trying to make short, punchy bass, I always struggle a bit, because the envelopes seem to have a bit of a strange curve. Compared to my Juno-60, it´s quite obvious.
When I have shorter decay times, the sound somehow gets more quiet quickly, instead of short and snappy. Would like to hear some other opinions!

Cheers
Timm
Check to see if slow mode is on (shift plus numbers) if yes, turn it off.
The options in the velocity settings are used to adjust the velocity modulation amount of the envelopes.
Old 16th February 2020
Two new in depth videos about the Dominion 1. Next week two more videos.

Old 20th March 2020
Gear Maniac
can you run the dom1 sequencer,
and play the keys at the same time?

the matrixbrute does that...
now i'm curious
Old 4th April 2020
click fix for those envelope outputs - 1uf caps between tip and gnd nicely round off thos digi-spikes at note onset

edit: wrong pic, will upload new one soon

was also poking around there while it was open and see what could be modded/added and am afraid I just opened a can of worms there - lfo speed and other things can be modulated per cv...

Last edited by Maffez; 4th April 2020 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: edit
Old 5th April 2020
here we go, updated pic on that env out click fix

plus a pic of the main synthboard pcb

did a bit of sleuthing around and the more i see the more i am impressed by mfb - what a clever design

vcos are built around lm393s(hello minimoog new osc board!) and filter around an lm13700 (roland/korg), as is the vca (i think) - the rest is basically a cpu and sht..loads of digital potentiometers, switches and shift registers

edit: here's how one of the presets sounds when you do pre-filter overdrive and ffm from vca (dialled it in too much, but was interested in how far you can go..

jeez, with patience and cunning you could install a cv jack for practically any parameter there...
Attached Files

Dom1_OD_FFM_MODS.mp3 (1.35 MB, 2047 views)

Last edited by Maffez; 5th April 2020 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 5th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
here we go, updated pic on that env out click fix

plus a pic of the main synthboard pcb

did a bit of sleuthing around and the more i see the more i am impressed by mfb - what a clever design

vcos are built around lm393s(hello minimoog new osc board!) and filter around an lm13700 (roland/korg), as is the vca (i think) - the rest is basically a cpu and sht..loads of digital potentiometers, switches and shift registers

edit: here's how one of the presets sounds when you do pre-filter overdrive and ffm from vca (dialled it in too much, but was interested in how far you can go..

jeez, with patience and cunning you could install a cv jack for practically any parameter there...
tnx! Out of interest, could you explain why you are so impressed, ie why it's such a clever design in your opinion? tnx!
Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
tnx! Out of interest, could you explain why you are so impressed, ie why it's such a clever design in your opinion? tnx!
no real clear idea why, actually maybe just chuffed that they snuck a riff on the Minimoog OSC board in there and gave it a full set of parameters on recall

as far as i understand the pcb so far, they use the same saw core and subsequent pulse and tri converters as the newer model d osc board and feed that then into a rolandy backend (filter is built around a lm13700, which is found in old korg stuff and roland type circuits; vca is lm13700 too)

so, that's a sweet ocmbination and given that you have everything under digital control and thus potentially hackable makes it exciting for me (maybe I've been working too much on non-digitally controlled stuff recently

to have shtloads of digital potentiometers (mcp433x) and ic switches is also neat from a potential modder perspective

so, maybe not the greatest feat in terms of circuit inventions (that filter is sweet though) but very well designed and shows an efficient use of (quality) components (no cheap tricks there but proper transistor arrays and whathaveyou, layout is clear and doesn't have sections spread all over the place)
Lives for gear

Quote:
no real clear idea why, actually maybe just chuffed that they snuck a riff on the Minimoog OSC board in there and gave it a full set of parameters on recall

as far as i understand the pcb so far, they use the same saw core and subsequent pulse and tri converters as the newer model d osc board and feed that then into a rolandy backend (filter is built around a lm13700, which is found in old korg stuff and roland type circuits; vca is lm13700 too)

so, that's a sweet ocmbination and given that you have everything under digital control and thus potentially hackable makes it exciting for me (maybe I've been working too much on non-digitally controlled stuff recently

to have shtloads of digital potentiometers (mcp433x) and ic switches is also neat from a potential modder perspective

so, maybe not the greatest feat in terms of circuit inventions (that filter is sweet though) but very well designed and shows an efficient use of (quality) components (no cheap tricks there but proper transistor arrays and whathaveyou, layout is clear and doesn't have sections spread all over the place)
tnx!
Old 6th April 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouranon View Post
I love the Dominion 1, the sound and the look/layout, but does anyone else feel like the envelopes could be a little snappier? When trying to make short, punchy bass, I always struggle a bit, because the envelopes seem to have a bit of a strange curve. Compared to my Juno-60, it´s quite obvious.
When I have shorter decay times, the sound somehow gets more quiet quickly, instead of short and snappy. Would like to hear some other opinions!

Cheers
Timm
Did you find the solution? Are env's working better now?
Old 8th April 2020
Couldn't help it in the end and implemented some mods - pre-filter overdrive, ffm from vca output and a pot for the right ribbon...

couple of sounds, mostly demonstrating filter drive, but later also stuff like lfo to filter env decay and the envelope modulating itself (last sound)
Attached Files

someDom1mods.mp3 (2.23 MB, 1892 views)

Old 8th April 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Couldn't help it in the end and implemented some mods - pre-filter overdrive, ffm from vca output and a pot for the right ribbon...

couple of sounds, mostly demonstrating filter drive, but later also stuff like lfo to filter env decay and the envelope modulating itself (last sound)
Impressive mods, dig the sounds, the pots drilled through the modulation ribbon are blasphemy.
Old 8th April 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
Impressive mods, dig the sounds, the pots drilled through the modulation ribbon are blasphemy.
yes, blasphemy... :(

but didn't want to drill holes over the dominion label and took the ribbon out before, however (they are fastened to a pcb, whcih could be replaced, if need be
Old 3rd June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Nice Mods. What stands FFM for? Filter Frequency Modulation?
Old 3rd June 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jauly View Post
Nice Mods. What stands FFM for? Filter Frequency Modulation?
Yup sounds especially sweet from vca out IMO (rather than from vco out, since the amount follows the vca amplitide rather than being constant; that's a trick "nicked" from the 303 devilfish mods)
Old 2nd July 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexiglass View Post
Did you find the solution? Are env's working better now?
Hey, sorry for late reply...

Adjusting the ADSR Settings was improving it a bit, but it´s still not ideal I think.
The best envelopes from synthesizers I own are in the Juno-60 and the Pro-1. The Dominion 1 in comparison falls a bit short.

I was thinking to sell the Dom, also because I find navigating the sequencer and arpeggiator a bit inconvinient with all the button presses... I like to use them in a performance, like changing the arp speed, or direction etc. With the Dominion 1, it´s not really possible cuz you always have to confirm changes.

But I guess I´ll keep it
Old 9th July 2020
Finally got round to document some tech aspects and sound mods of the Dominion1 more propperly. Little sample pack is included too on that page -

https://maffez.com/?page_id=459
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear

Maffez,

I always wanted to have pre-filter input - so I can buil mix out-> neturon drive -> pre-filter input. Do you know where/how to tap in?

Btw with help of attenuation cable FFM is possibile and working nice via Mix Out -> VCF CV
Old 9th July 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb View Post
Maffez,

I always wanted to have pre-filter input - so I can buil mix out-> neturon drive -> pre-filter input. Do you know where/how to tap in?

Btw with help of attenuation cable FFM is possibile and working nice via Mix Out -> VCF CV
hey, yup, ffm is described this easy way too - not needed as a mod but I just wanted this as a permanent option in addition

filter in is described too and the respective pin on the vcf pcb labelled in the "filter board" pic here- see bottom:

you'd need a 100k resistor between your input jack and this pin

edit: embarrassing, but I might have swapped labels for IN and OUT (will need to check back on this again

Last edited by Maffez; 21st July 2020 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: corrections
Old 19th July 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hello!

I have a question regarding the sequencer - how do I enter a rest after an extended note? I extend a note by short presses of Hold/Pause button. Then I try pressing and holding the same Hold/Pause button to enter a rest, but it just keeps extending the note by another 1/16th. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much in advance,
JS
Old 21st July 2020
So, I was just pointed to some peculiarities with the EXT IN warping signals fed into the MFB and followed this up a little. Seems there's some signal rectification at the filter input which renders some signals meh. Documented this a little with scope screeners and found a fix (additional external input it is...)

Scroll down a bit to the VCF mods section

https://maffez.com/?page_id=459
Old 13th August 2020
Extensive use of Dom here
Quote:
A Single Smile (Un Seul Sourire) by Tonal Eclipse | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Stream A Single Smile (Un Seul Sourire) by Tonal Eclipse from desktop or your mobile device
Old 13th August 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by vynilr View Post
Extensive use of Dom here
That's fantastic, perfect use case for the Dominion 1.
Old 17th August 2020
Gear Head
Is it possible to save the local on/off setting? I use mine in local off mode but have to set this every time I turn it on.
Old 30th August 2020
Lives for gear
I’m selling my Dominion 1 if anyone is after one. Perfect condition, £975 in London.
Old 16th September 2020
Gear Maniac
How to use this thing paraphonically? Not that keen on going thru the 83 pages. The manual is useless.
Old 16th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwarsell View Post
How to use this thing paraphonically? Not that keen on going thru the 83 pages. The manual is useless.
Turn the select knob to ‘voice’ & turn the ‘value’ knob to the right till the display changes from 1 to 3 (I think - not with the synth at the moment). It’s very easy. I like to turn the ‘trig’ button off when using it paraphonically - tends to give smoother note transitions.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurcher View Post
Turn the select knob to ‘voice’ & turn the ‘value’ knob to the right till the display changes from 1 to 3 (I think - not with the synth at the moment). It’s very easy. I like to turn the ‘trig’ button off when using it paraphonically - tends to give smoother note transitions.
Thanks. I read that from.the manual. Spent ages looking for a Voice knob. Finally found it. The manual described lt weirdly.

This thing is pretty cool paraphonically too. I think two oscs sound better than three.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwarsell View Post
Thanks. I read that from.the manual. Spent ages looking for a Voice knob. Finally found it. The manual described lt weirdly.

This thing is pretty cool paraphonically too. I think two oscs sound better than three.
Stick a nice reverb or delay on it when in paraphonic mode and it can sound awesome.
Old 14th October 2020
Gear Addict

Hi,

I have a strange problem with my Dominion 1. Maybe someone understands better than me how it's possible?

When I sequence other synths with the CV/Gate outputs on the Dominion 1 I get wrong tracking, so I measured the control voltage going out of the Dominion 1.
I'm getting the following voltages (it's constant, regardless of warm up time, master tuning, oscillator tuning etc.):

C0 = 1.18V C1 = 2.18V... C3=4.19V

So it is 1V/octave, but not quite and with an offset of 0.18-0.20V compared to my other synths/sequencers.
Usually the C note is always at a perfect round value, like 1.00V, 2.00V, etc.

Can anyone with a Dominion 1 check this please, if it's the same for all units, or if only my unit has an issue with the voltages?
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

mfb site showing these are now discontinued. Farewell Dominion 1!
📝 Reply