The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MFB Dominion 1
Old 26th August 2015
Gear Maniac

How does the patches and knobs work together? Say the cutoff filter is in position 50% and you load up a patch where the cutoff is 25%. How will the knob behave? Will it overrule the preset setting or jump to ca. 50% as soon as you touch it or not have any effect until it passes 25% or something else???

(still waiting for mine... been waiting at thomann since mid May...!)
Old 26th August 2015
Gear Nut

What is MFBs mail, can someone provide me with that?
Old 26th August 2015 | Show parent
Deleted f25ebd2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninecows View Post
How does the patches and knobs work together? Say the cutoff filter is in position 50% and you load up a patch where the cutoff is 25%. How will the knob behave? Will it overrule the preset setting or jump to ca. 50% as soon as you touch it or not have any effect until it passes 25% or something else???

(still waiting for mine... been waiting at thomann since mid May...!)
Once you move the knob, the parameter jumps to the knob's current position. Before that, it is set at whatever value was stored in the patch.
Old 10th September 2015
htk
Gear Head

In the Dominion 1 manual it says that the Gate input should be 5v. Can anyone confirm it would not be safe to use with 10v gate trigger (what Korg SQ-1 sends out)? It occured to me maybe the 10v could damage the digital envelope generator, even if from what I understand traditionally modulars only care that the gate voltage is high enough?
Old 11th September 2015
Here for the gear

Ehrm...

Have anyone of you had problems with the arpeggiator?
I just got mine, and the arp doesn't seem to work properly. It won't do chords, only single note (i.e. only the last note pressed, or so). Am I missing something completely fundamental?

No word from MFB yet, I might add.

*Edit: to minimize more awkward facepalming; I DON'T MEAN IT WON'T DO CHORDS; I mean it won't cycle through a chord. Only plays one note repeatedly, even if I punch more notes.
Old 11th September 2015 | Show parent
Deleted b598644
Quote:
Originally Posted by pownie View Post
the arp doesn't seem to work properly. It won't do chords.
Old 11th September 2015
Here for the gear

Well, I'm not that ****ing stoopid. When I press e.g. three notes, it only arps one of the notes repeatedly. It won't go through all the notes pressed.
Deleted b598644
Quote:
Originally Posted by pownie View Post
Well, I'm not that ****ing stoopid. When I press e.g. three notes, it only arps one of the notes repeatedly. It won't go through all the notes pressed.
Oh it would have been a good joke though

You bought it new?
Is there some kind of keytrack you have to choose?
Old 11th September 2015
Here for the gear

Yup, just received it, ordered it aeons ago (i.e. months), so it's kind of slightly pissing me off, haha.

Haven't been able to figure out what's causing it. But then again, maybe I just am that dumb.
Old 11th September 2015
Lives for gear

Are you sure it's in Arp mode and not sequencer mode ? It can be a bit unintuitive to switch between the two.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysander View Post
Are you sure it's in Arp mode and not sequencer mode ? It can be a bit unintuitive to switch between the two.
Yup, that shouldn't be the problem. I got it playing a chord once, but it hasn't done so since. So, yeah, I'm at a loss.
Old 11th September 2015
Lives for gear

I got mine yesterday and WOW i'm excited. Killing RAW sound.
Old 12th September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripbeat View Post
compared with the older synths we did the noise is quite smaller! analog gear owns always an amount of noise.
since software instruments ppl forgot about thx for understanding.
Hi, im from Australia and i would like to buy this synth? how to I make a purchase?

Anthony
Old 12th September 2015
Lives for gear
Just received confirmation from Thomanns that mine has shipped. I ordered July 13th and I was 27th on the waiting list in case any one else is wondering and waiting on one.

Last edited by syzygywell; 17th September 2015 at 06:12 AM..
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Addict

Ordered mine (from Thomann) on August the 8th and just got notification of shipping so looks like the waiting time is dropping - getting excited!! Will compliment my Pro 2 lovely.
Has anyone out there used the Dom 1 with the moogerfooger MF-101? I want to know if the envelope CV out voltage is compatible with the CV input on the MF-101 and how well it works. I intend to take the post mixer output output into the MF-101 and use one of the envelope CV outputs to control the MF-101 cutoff. Will mix the output from the MF-101 alongside the straight output of the Dom 1.
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

Ordered mine in March through a local store.

Just got it at the weekend.

Well worth the wait though
Old 17th September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygywell View Post
Just received confirmation from Thomanns that mine has shipped. I ordered July 13yh and I was 27th on the waiting list in case any one else is wondering and waiting on one.
Bummer! I made a bad mistake. By end August I cancelled the order I made in May at thomann and ordered the a prophet 08 b-stock instead as I got tired of waiting and the endless "we'll ship next week". Thought it would fit my needs and being a b-stock I could just afford it. It was crap. A dead key and distorted output and generally didn't sound very good. So returned it and re-ordered the dominion.

The whole "fling" with The prophet took less than a week but I'm back at the bottom of the waiting list :-(

Bad, bad mistake.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninecows View Post
Bummer! I made a bad mistake. By end August I cancelled the order I made in May at thomann and ordered the a prophet 08 b-stock instead as I got tired of waiting and the endless "we'll ship next week". Thought it would fit my needs and being a b-stock I could just afford it. It was crap. A dead key and distorted output and generally didn't sound very good. So returned it and re-ordered the dominion.

The whole "fling" with The prophet took less than a week but I'm back at the bottom of the waiting list :-(

Bad, bad mistake.
aw man that sucks.. yeah it's not been easy but I just tried to forget about the fact I ordered it, work at selling a few items to put in my prophet 6 fund which I'm about 5 weeks away from. Anyway I hope the wait won't be as long this time around.
Deleted f25ebd2
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurcher View Post
Has anyone out there used the Dom 1 with the moogerfooger MF-101? I want to know if the envelope CV out voltage is compatible with the CV input on the MF-101 and how well it works. I intend to take the post mixer output output into the MF-101 and use one of the envelope CV outputs to control the MF-101 cutoff. Will mix the output from the MF-101 alongside the straight output of the Dom 1.
Yup, I've used this to get a Moogy sound out of the Dominion. Works fine, except you can't control the depth of the envelope sweep (or do inverts) without external attenuators/inverters.
Old 17th September 2015
Gear Addict

Cheers Prontoid, that's good enough for me. Doubtlessly I will mainly just use the Dom 1 on its own but I wanted the option to get a 'moogy' type tone if required. Had Pro One & original ARP Odyssey (whiteface) for years and miss them, feel this will be as close as I can get with modern hardware to those vintage tones.
Old 17th September 2015
Gear Addict

Have worked out that if I use my Pro 2 as a master keyboard and MIDI it to the Dom 1, I can use the CV outs from the Pro 2 mod matrix to control the MF-101 so I will be able to invert, control filter envelope amount, modulation etc from the spare envelopes, LFO's on the Pro 2 etc. to give full control of the filter treating the DOM 1 sound.
Gear Addict

some serious gas on this

can you switch between pre made patterns on the appeg?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy101 View Post
some serious gas on this

can you switch between pre made patterns on the appeg?
Not on arpeg but on seq.

Yes. You could store up to 8 patterns (on bottom right buttons 1-8) and switch on fly.

http://mfberlin.de/wp-content/upload..._1_english.pdf
Old 18th September 2015
Just ordered mine from Thomann. Seem like really good folks there.

And now the wait. They are expecting stock on Sept 30, but we know how that goes.

Pete
Old 18th September 2015
Gear Addict

Mine arrived today - saving opening it till tomorrow (busy work day). Will be my birthday Sunday so what fantastic delivery timing - no guesses as to what I will be doing this weekend!! For those waiting it was 6 weeks between ordering and delivery.
Old 18th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Just ordered mine from Thomann. Seem like really good folks there.

And now the wait. They are expecting stock on Sept 30, but we know how that goes.
Looks like MFB has resolved problems with Fatar and back to the full production.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb View Post
Looks like MFB has resolved problems with Fatar and back to the full production.
Excellent.

I'm not in a huge hurry here -- my home office/studio is still bare studs, but I wanted to make sure I got in on the next batch.

Pete
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Excellent.

I'm not in a huge hurry here -- my home office/studio is still bare studs, but I wanted to make sure I got in on the next batch.
At least it wouldn't be 4 months like in my case.

Btw, Dom1 sound is not artificially distorted like on many modern synths but it has quite saturated like in 70ths synth. So when I need modern sound I use Minibrute as overdrive for Dom1. And I really think it's the best use of Minibrute I found so far.
Old 19th September 2015
Gear Addict

1st impressions are great sound wise, really has a genuinely vintage analog tone. Loving it - this and my Pro 2 should give me pretty much all I need. I knew it would be good when I read all that time back that the oscillators should be given 10mins to warm up. Some were worried about that but it immediately made me think now that's a great sign.
Old 19th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Ehm... Justmusic is listed as dealer as well and they seem to have it in stock?!?

JustMusic - Alles für Musiker
📝 Reply