The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oberheim Matrix 1000 firmware hacks
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbom View Post
Thanks for the info , will dig into the files.
I should've mention I was looking for matrix 1000 info.
There's a very good condition one on eBay which had a patch sheet , I'm trying to get manual and any other sheets that typically come with it.

Cheers.
no problem. The m1000 link I posted has a scan of the m1000 manual, but no patch sheets. I didn't know there were patch sheets for the presets.
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbom View Post
Has anyone got a scan of the patch list ?
See attached PDF. IIRC, I think these were posted on the internet by Retro Synth.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Matrix-1000 patchbook.pdf (84.9 KB, 250 views)
Old 1st September 2016
bin
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobofunk View Post
Hi Bin, this looks really cool. I have a couple of questions, I'm a bit of a noob with this stuff, I don't have any vintage gear but I have been eyeing up the 1000 for a while as I love the sounds I have heard from it. I planned to use it as a bit of a preset box but I would of course like to have control also (had been considering the kiwi technics controller but that makes things a lot more expensive). I've also only just ordered Live suite this week after being on Logic for the past 3 years so I've never touched Max..

So this will control that Matrix from within live? I notice in the screenshot that there's no mention of the oscillators? can you map this so it works in push and you can use the encoders on there to control things like the filter? Any chance of a video of the plugin in action?

Thanks!
All parameters are implemented. The oscillators are in the red section. Filter is blue. You can change all parameters from Live using Push or any other controller, automate parameters and save sounds in Live. The latest update also allows microtuning which sounds mental.
Old 1st September 2016
bin
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRand View Post
See attached PDF. IIRC, I think these were posted on the internet by Retro Synth.
I dont suppose anyone has a data file of those names that I could use, or knows how to turn that pdf into a file that could be used to name a recalled sound in Max for Live? There are names coded in the sysex but the names decode as something like "BNK6: 47" not very interesting!

edit: I managed to extract the names from the pdf - I'll add these names to my editor.
Old 1st September 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bin View Post
All parameters are implemented. The oscillators are in the red section. Filter is blue. You can change all parameters from Live using Push or any other controller, automate parameters and save sounds in Live. The latest update also allows microtuning which sounds mental.
Thanks for the reply, it sounds awesome!
Old 2nd September 2016
Gear Head

Hi folks,

just in case somebody is interested. I made Ctrlr panels for the Matrix-1000 and Matrix-6. They are still beta, but IMHO they are near-final:

Matrix1000 | Ctrlr - Control your MIDI life (MIDI editor for all your hardware)

Matrix-6 | Ctrlr - Control your MIDI life (MIDI editor for all your hardware)
Old 3rd September 2016
Aml
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possemo View Post
Hi folks,

just in case somebody is interested. I made Ctrlr panels for the Matrix-1000 and Matrix-6. They are still beta, but IMHO they are near-final:

Will the panel work with the 6r? I've yet to find one that actually works, so this would be great.
Old 3rd September 2016
Gear Head

I don't have an M6 but some guy betatestded it and it seems to work quite well. But you need frimware v2.14 from Bob Grieb in order to use all the features. And there are some other things you should pay attention. Most things are explained in the panel itself.
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi folks,

I got both, the 1000 & 6r - just tried the Matrix1000 panel - absolutely superb work, man!
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear

I only just got around to putting the 1.6 OS i bought from a user here into my Matrix 1000 and it didn't work, so I had to go back to the original.
Old 16th September 2016
Gear Head

@ cowudders : I'm glad you like it. @ 666 : you probably mean v1.16. What was the problem?
Old 20th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ cowudders : I'm glad you like it. @ 666 : you probably mean v1.16. What was the problem?
Its with a repair guy as it had some other problems, but it wouldn't boot with that OS chip. Would still boot with the original so we're trying to burn 1.16 onto a new chip to see if that works or its something else. My matrix has been pretty weird since day one, requiring a hard reset every time it's turned on.
Old 24th September 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Its with a repair guy as it had some other problems, but it wouldn't boot with that OS chip. Would still boot with the original so we're trying to burn 1.16 onto a new chip to see if that works or its something else. My matrix has been pretty weird since day one, requiring a hard reset every time it's turned on.
yes that sounds weird. As it is with a rapair guy the battery has probably been replaced. A dead battery can cause such symtoms. For me next one would be replacing the s-ram chip. In general these old digital circuits are very reliable, but if they fail it can be tricky to track down probs.
Old 6th October 2016
Here for the gear

Hi Everyone.

Over a year ago I contacted this forum to enquire about the incompatibility of my V103 Matrix 1000 with any firmware V111 and above and to gather any suggestions or others who were experiencing any issues with their pre 111 OS M1K!

My Matrix 1K would go all crazy (Missing octaves/screeching sounds ect ect..just not right) when I put in any firmware past OS 103 so that meant I could not experience the wave of V116 firmware that most owners were riding at the time.

I appeared to be the only person at that time who was on the forums with an early V103 Matrix 1000.

Anyhow,
I just wanted to update you all to let you know with the assistance of Bob Grieg (Developer of the latest V1.20 Matrix 1K firmware) We were able to get my M1K up to current firmware specification.

He was able to give up some of his time to correspond via email to advise me of what to check in regards to my Matrix 1K 103 compatibility vs his M1K model.

The following are the suggested hardware tweaks required by V103 owners to get their system to accept the latest OS and patch data and therefore current compatibility.

****Older MK1 V103 models only!! Hardware tweaks to bring up to current specification ****

1) U809 (68B50) pin 24 must disconnected from GND. (Not the nicest technical suggestion but cut pin 24 at the base and bend up away from board!)
2) U808 (82C54) pin 14 jumpered to Pin 24 of U809 (Which was previously disconnected from gnd.
3) In4148 diode between U4 Pin 7 (311)(anode) and U3 (4053) Pin 11 (cathode)

That's pretty much it!

So I have now my Matrix 1000 playing patches across the octave ranges without the screeching, missing octaves and volumes all over the place and using V1.20 with all it's functionality of which I purchased the firmware image off Bob after this success !!

So again thanks to all who contributed on this forum especially Bob Grieg and Tux99 for your invaluable assistance during this process of getting my V103 OS M1K up to current V1.20 spec.

I wanted to post this today also just to let anyone else is quietly sitting in the background with their pre-V111 firmware models that V1.20 is possible! (Obviously with the relevant circuit board modification skills!!)

Bob has updated his webpage to mention the early Matrix 1000 issues that I just described above.
Matrix 1000 Firmware

I guess it is true that persistance (and stubborness! ) really pay off!

Now I am back to put the M1K back in the studio and forever out of it's dark Vermona perfourmer 2 box!!

Cheers!

Tim
Old 6th October 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo_adventurer View Post
Hi Everyone.

Over a year ago I contacted this forum to enquire about the incompatibility of my V103 Matrix 1000 with any firmware V111 and above and to gather any suggestions or others who were experiencing any issues with their pre 111 OS M1K!

My Matrix 1K would go all crazy (Missing octaves/screeching sounds ect ect..just not right) when I put in any firmware past OS 103 so that meant I could not experience the wave of V116 firmware that most owners were riding at the time.

I appeared to be the only person at that time who was on the forums with an early V103 Matrix 1000.

Anyhow,
I just wanted to update you all to let you know with the assistance of Bob Grieg (Developer of the latest V1.20 Matrix 1K firmware) We were able to get my M1K up to current firmware specification.

He was able to give up some of his time to correspond via email to advise me of what to check in regards to my Matrix 1K 103 compatibility vs his M1K model.

The following are the suggested hardware tweaks required by V103 owners to get their system to accept the latest OS and patch data and therefore current compatibility.

****Older MK1 V103 models only!! Hardware tweaks to bring up to current specification ****

1) U809 (68B50) pin 24 must disconnected from GND. (Not the nicest technical suggestion but cut pin 24 at the base and bend up away from board!)
2) U808 (82C54) pin 14 jumpered to Pin 24 of U809 (Which was previously disconnected from gnd.
3) In4148 diode between U4 Pin 7 (311)(anode) and U3 (4053) Pin 11 (cathode)

That's pretty much it!

So I have now my Matrix 1000 playing patches across the octave ranges without the screeching, missing octaves and volumes all over the place and using V1.20 with all it's functionality of which I purchased the firmware image off Bob after this success !!

So again thanks to all who contributed on this forum especially Bob Grieg and Tux99 for your invaluable assistance during this process of getting my V103 OS M1K up to current V1.20 spec.

I wanted to post this today also just to let anyone else is quietly sitting in the background with their pre-V111 firmware models that V1.20 is possible! (Obviously with the relevant circuit board modification skills!!)

Bob has updated his webpage to mention the early Matrix 1000 issues that I just described above.
Matrix 1000 Firmware

I guess it is true that persistance (and stubborness! ) really pay off!

Now I am back to put the M1K back in the studio and forever out of it's dark Vermona perfourmer 2 box!!

Cheers!

Tim
Just wanted to mention that my name is really Bob Grieb, not Grieg.
Old 7th October 2016
Here for the gear

Apologies for the error Bob!

Regards.

Tim
Old 29th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quick question on the obie editor -

Every time I do a get patch command it opens a whole new editor window

Am i missing something ? why not just over ride current paramters ?
Old 7th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmasynth View Post
Added some wood sides to the Matrix 6 and made a new little laminated keypad over the membrane for now.

Matrix 6 brings back memories. This was my first analogue synthsizer. Year 1996. Seller: Roginator -->

"It has a ramp!!!" - he shouts as i glance at the keyboard in his studio right across the chocolate factory. And i wave my head giving a cool gesture, pretending i understood what he just said. All in all, having this synth as a first analogue was not a smart choice. It wasn't until i bought M1000 that i've learned programming it and then later the M6R. In the end i couldn't stand the sluggish SYX. I should point out i am not a player i am a programmer. I program fast, i can't stand any delays or hang ups. So after third "Matrix" i eventually gave up. Kinda pity since it's a decent sounding synth. Back then they were priced around 300 notes, and that was probably best bang for buck synth for a long time. Heck i might give it a 4-th try?

Oh and BTW that ramp! is mostly useless.
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear

You should probably try it again with the newest firmware that fixed sysex bugs and made it a whole lot faster (and added voice detune, sounds awesome!).
Old 7th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You should probably try it again with the newest firmware that fixed sysex bugs and made it a whole lot faster (and added voice detune, sounds awesome!).
Should i go M6R or M1000?

Because of individual clocks, i've calculated M6R to be warmer by 0.00002 Hz which is not something to write home about.
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear

M6R can do bitimbrality, but M1000 has double room for user patches (200 vs 100)... plus 1U less. So in true GS fashion, you should get 2xM1000, for double polyphony.
Old 7th January 2018
Quote:
So in true GS fashion, you should get 2xM1000, for double polyphony.
Makes sense. Always wanted white M1000 though.
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Should i go M6R or M1000?

Because of individual clocks, i've calculated M6R to be warmer by 0.00002 Hz which is not something to write home about.
I could have sworn you had a Matrix 6 rack. Back at HC KSS, I thought you had one. Maybe I'm wrong though
Old 7th January 2018
Quote:
M6R can do bitimbrality, but M1000 has double room for user patches (200 vs 100)... plus 1U less. So in true GS fashion, you should get 2xM1000, for double polyphony.
cant remember, does matrix6/6r also have the "midi overflow" capability, for pairing them for 12 poly ?
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear

I think it does.

Chaining Oberheim Matrix 6s?
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would not recommend the 1.20 Firmware as it seems to have introduced new bugs (see: Undocumented Matrix 1000 Sysex Bug ).
The 1.16 from our fellow forum member Gligli also known for his Prophet 600 mod) is the best choice as it fixes all known bugs without introducing new ones.
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear

1.20 fixes the NRPN implementation which Gligli didn't bother with (he just enabled it). And Bob's method of speeding up response to editing parameters is better/smoother:

If the mentioned bug from that thread is the only one, I don't think it's a huge deal. Benefits of v1.20 are obvious. Was Bob contacted about the bug?
Old 7th January 2018
Quote:
1.20 fixes the NRPN implementation which Gligli didn't bother with (he just enabled it). And Bob's method of speeding up response to editing parameters is better/smoother:
What is your favourite M1000 youtube demo?
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
And Bob's method of speeding up response to editing parameters is better/smoother:
There is no practical noticeable difference. Our ears aren't oscilloscopes (and I doubt that that photo is showing an accurate comparison).

Quote:
If the mentioned bug from that thread is the only one, I don't think it's a huge deal.
Corrupted patches aren't a huge deal?
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post
(and I doubt that that photo is showing an accurate comparison)
Why wouldn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post
Corrupted patches aren't a huge deal?
If you're not using edit buffer, no, they're not.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search