The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Synths with feedback loops?
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear
Synths with feedback loops?

What synths out there incorporate a feed back loop? The two I know about are the DSI Evolver and the Roland sh-201. Although I can't tell if the sh-201 is truly doing feedback or just has a feedback wave form. Alternately, what synths can to feedback via headphone out and audio in? Sorry if this has already been covered. I searched for "feedback" and got a million threads asking for feedback on recordings.
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear
Minimoog
Yamaha CS monos (see my thread about this)

I think the Minibrute has a feedback knob.
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

Anything with two audio outs, (one can be headphone), and one audio in with an internal mixer for taming the feedback loop. You can use an external mixer as well, and just feed that back into the input.

Last edited by mildheadwound; 19th March 2013 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: Same reason as the guy above
Old 19th March 2013
Deleted User
V-Synth. Probably the same as the 201. You could also use the audio input. I don't think the feedback sounds pleasant.
Old 19th March 2013
Gear Addict
mfb synth II , just turn a knob
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

SE-1. I've modified mine to have feedback available internally, with a rear-panel switch (instead of physically routing the output back to the input). You lose the noise generator, though.
Old 20th March 2013
Jp8080 has a very controllable and wide range "feedback oscillator".

Most fm synths can make feedback like sounds easily.

Shruthi has a fold back function that emulates the headphone loop
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear
All the DSI synths have a feedback loop.
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

Korg Prophecy
Old 20th March 2013
actually ANY synth that has external audio input to filter. if you have some sort of mixer,, either analog, or as routing in your audiocard.

its easy to create a copy of the signal and send back to the external input, and also govern the level of this, in case the synth itself doesnt have means to.
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

surprised no one said ms-20 yet
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Is it possible to do the old feedback trick with your main audio out into your audio in and using your headphones out to listen to the synth? For silent practice purposes, or would the feedback be too strong from the hot signal of the main audio out and blow up my headphones I use for silent practice?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Analog four
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Boomstars
Attached Thumbnails
Synths with feedback loops?-sem_1310.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Tbn
Gear Head

Novation bass station 2
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Nord Modular G2 could do audio feedback internally between modules or via external input.

these feature a lot of internal feedback, certain modules with audio routed back into itself earlier in the chain (used as modulation sources, etc):

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbn View Post
Novation bass station 2
You have to physically connect the headphone output to the input and need a mixer or something in between to change the amount. Not sure this is what the topic starter wants.
Old 2 weeks ago
Tbn
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
You have to physically connect the headphone output to the input and need a mixer or something in between to change the amount. Not sure this is what the topic starter wants.
No need for a mixer; just a patch cable from out to in. You can adjust the amount with "ext" volume in oscillator mixer, which is saved per preset...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Analog four; you can tune and am/sync the feedback too. It's the secret to getting bass from it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Yamaha AN1x: the perfect way to coax "vintage analog" out of this machine.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Pro-2 has two feedback paths, one is the tuned feedback and then there is the ”ordinary” one, similar to the headphone out trick of the Minimoog, which is always available if you haven’t connected anything to the audio input.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimwolf View Post
All the DSI synths have a feedback loop.
I was thinking that I missed something, so I went thru manual and my Prophet X panel, and don't see any feedback setting. Man, I had so many hopes associated with my selective blindness and not seeing it before. But I must say with almost certainty, that there is no feedback loop in Prophet X. Nor is it in OB-6.

But I have one in Tempest, just to contribute to thread. And that's feedback per voice, true polyphonic.

Modal 001 also allows to connect external source. So it's a mono feedback though.

Same with Modal 008 - not per voice.

DSI Pro 2.

DSI Prophet 12.

Roland JD-XA via mic input, when selecting MIC as third source in analog mixer. This can be then used either as standard feedback signal, or as mod source for Ring or Cross Mod.

Best Regards,
Norman
Old 2 weeks ago
R7P
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbn View Post
No need for a mixer; just a patch cable from out to in. You can adjust the amount with "ext" volume in oscillator mixer, which is saved per preset...
Whenever I read this it makes me wonder if something is wrong with mine. It just doesn’t seem to jave enough volume to really feedback even when cranking the input gain in the settings. TS or TRS cables. I’ve been meaning to raise the volume with a mixer or something and see if that helps.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Alesis Andromeda. The first analogue synth with included feedback loop afaik.
Waldorf Pulse 2.
Roland SE-02
Behringer Model D
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Moog Voyager - one of the filthiest distortions ever feeding headphone out back into mixer input.

Headphone out level is also stored with the preset making for very convenient recall.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search