The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MFB Dominion X SED Analogue Synthesizer
Old 19th March 2013
Deleted User
MFB Dominion X SED Analogue Synthesizer

MFB Dominion X SED

If anybody owns the new SED version can they please share their views and experiences about the new sed filter. I have seen vids and heard samples of the previous Dominion X version and only heard a handful of samples of the SED version.

See below for pic...
New sound samples or vids would be a welcome addition if possible....
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I don't have one, but have considered one in the past, when the ebbe & fllute filter was the original plan.
Anyway, i listened to the soundcloud demos, and the SED version sound better than the "regular" version. But as i understand, if you go for the SED - you give up the multimode, and don't have stuff like highpass, bandpass etc:

Quote:
SED Filter

Our new filter design contains two different types of filters. Once is the 12 db mfb multifilter with 12 db lowpass and 12 db highpass, bandpass und notch. Sound can be described as clean and powerful with steady catchy resonance behaviour.
The second is new SED filter with 24/12 db lowpass. This single ended discrete (transistors) filter can be driven into clippng zone, especially the 12 db variant. The 24 db lowpass can be sound almost clean when you drive the vco mixer below half of possible value.
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i understood that the SED replaces the LP portion, like an addition, but the other modes stay with the original MFB filter. otherwise it be silly to have the SED version feature a HP/BP/LP and 12/24 switch on the panel as the regular version. at least that's what i got from reading their spec..?
Old 19th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
I don't have one, but have considered one in the past, when the ebbe & fllute filter was the original plan.
Anyway, i listened to the soundcloud demos, and the SED version sound better than the "regular" version. But as i understand, if you go for the SED - you give up the multimode, and don't have stuff like highpass, bandpass etc:
the little snippet you quoted says otherwise. it says the NEW filter contains 2 different filter types. one of them is a clean multimode, and the other is the updated 12/24db sed LP.

i've always been curious about the dominion--it looks really sick. just difficult to track down any MFB stuff in the u.s.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
i understood that the SED replaces the LP portion, like an addition, but the other modes stay with the original MFB filter.
+ 1
This is true.

SED just means a different filter sound, but you still have 6 different filter modes (LP1, LP2, LP3, BP, Notch, HP).

The SED filter is more creamy than the original filter and sounds really very good (imho a bit like a mixture between ssm and Moog filter). The original filter is a bit more interesting if you are into acid music. If you plan to play harmonical with the filter selfe resoncance sinus, then the original filter option is better, too (but MFB is working on this topic AFAIK).
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
dominion X looks like a very powerful mono
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
FWIW, the non-SED multimode filter sounds quite good, too. Here are some patches, with no external effects.
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Wow. That envelope sure is too "clicky".
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
Wow. That envelope sure is too "clicky".
Absolutely. I stated that in my review.
Old 19th March 2013
Deleted User
Thanks guys for your input, much appreciated

Image and specs below for people that haven't seen or heard of it before

FEATURES
3 x VCOs with wave shaping and ring modulation
Dual-Sync and Dual-FM features
6-fold multimode-filter including 3 x low pass configurations with 12-24 dB
Patch-section for external CV/gate-control
Velocity routing matrix with 11 x destinations
3 x LFOs with 2 x LFOS offering one-shot-modes and reset
MIDI I/O and thru

SPECIFICATIONS
Oscillators 3 x VCOs
Filters 2 x types of filters: MFB multi-filter 12 dB lowpass, 12 dB highpass, bandpass and notch + SED filter with 24/12 dB lowpass, patch-section for external CV/gate-control
Program memory 128
Inputs Audio input, CV/gate input
Outputs Audio output
Dimensions 330mm x 170mm x 60mm
Weight 1.2kg

Enjoy!!
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Marino, they announced the clicking is supposed to go away with software update v1.5...

have you tried it, does it remedy this?

as it is here, it sounds pretty much unusable.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino View Post

I read your review and heard the samples thanks marino. I'm wondering if the clicky has been sorted in the SED version, any ideas?
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looping Loddar View Post
+ 1
This is true.

SED just means a different filter sound, but you still have 6 different filter modes (LP1, LP2, LP3, BP, Notch, HP).

The SED filter is more creamy than the original filter and sounds really very good (imho a bit like a mixture between ssm and Moog filter). The original filter is a bit more interesting if you are into acid music. If you plan to play harmonical with the filter selfe resoncance sinus, then the original filter option is better, too (but MFB is working on this topic AFAIK).
Thats what I was wanting to hear about the new filter

Is the sed filter part operated under LP1, LP2, LP3?

I'm looking at getting a desktop synth that is aciddy/squelchy and creamy, not all at the same time ....this synth looks to be the one so far. Other synths looking good are possibly perfourmer mkii.

Can you please explain more about what MFB is supposedly working on with the filter resonance. Thanks much
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
LP1 and LP3 i.e. 24 and 12dB, respectively.
Deleted User
Quote:
LP1 and LP3 i.e. 24 and 12dB, respectively.
Thanks for info clusterchord

You mentioned a software update, would this involve sending the synth in and I'm wondering what version the current sed synth is on?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepest Elements View Post
I'm looking at getting a desktop synth that is aciddy/squelchy and creamy, not all at the same time ....this synth looks to be the one so far. Other synths looking good are possibly perfourmer mkii.
I own a dominion x sed and a mono lancet and they sound very different from each other. The MFB sounds great, but it's far from creamy sounding. It's a lot of bang for the buck, there are a great deal of modulation possibilities (for basically being a subtractive monosynth), but if you want creamy go for the Vermona.

Like Marino wrote in his review the scaling is pretty strange, but i guess you get used to it.

BTW Lp1 and Lp 2 are sed (24/12) and Lp3 is MFB 12
Old 19th March 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino View Post
Fantastic review
Well done and thank you
That's awesome and detailed
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renskav View Post
I own a dominion x sed and a mono lancet and they sound very different from each other. The MFB sounds great, but it's far from creamy sounding. It's a lot of bang for the buck, there are a great deal of modulation possibilities (for basically being a subtractive monosynth), but if you want creamy go for the Vermona.

Like Marino wrote in his review the scaling is pretty strange, but i guess you get used to it.

BTW Lp1 and Lp 2 are sed (24/12) and Lp3 is MFB 12

Many thanks for your input, you have helped a lot as I was having a tough time in deciding which synth to get

Can you describe how you use your mono lancet in your setup, for example like for bass, lead etc sounds or how?
Also wanted to ask if you feel that your lancet is moogish sounding or not?
Old 20th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Marino, they announced the clicking is supposed to go away with software update v1.5...

have you tried it, does it remedy this?
No idea, sorry - I don't have the Dominion X at home anymore; the review unit belonged to a student of mine. I did like it enough, though, to consider getting one in the future - maybe the poly version.
Old 20th March 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Id really like to hear an example of the non-clicky 1.5. I do like the sound of the Dom X but the click envelopes not so much. Also - in the demos - not sure if anyone else hears this - but the envelopes sounds a bit unmusical...reminds me a bit of the Waldorf Pulse - bit s*****? I want to like this synth as its featureset is great and some aspects like the filters and the basic Osc seem quite good...
Old 20th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Many thanks for your input, you have helped a lot as I was having a tough time in deciding which synth to get

Can you describe how you use your mono lancet in your setup, for example like for bass, lead etc sounds or how?
Also wanted to ask if you feel that your lancet is moogish sounding or not?
I use the mono lancet for both leads, basses and plucks. I think that it sounds great, it has a surprisingly thick sound for being a two oscillator synth. The architecture is kind of limited though, the MFB is much more flexible. I feel that the Vermona is a much more direct reward synth, there's no real learning curve, it has nice basic tone and a wide sweet spot, where as the MFB takes some time to get to grip with, but the sounds it can produce are much more interesting.

I've never played a Moog, but listening to demos the lancet is much more moogish sounding than the dominion x. Maison here on GS, who seems to be pretty experinced when it comes to analog synths compared the mono lancet to vintage rolands. The online demos of the mono lancet that i've heard definitely don't do it justice. I was a bit sceptical before i got it, but the sound far surpassed my expectations. It's a great sounding little synth.
Old 26th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
MFB Dominion X SED

If anybody owns the new SED version can they please share their views and experiences about the new sed filter.
I've had the Dominion X SED for a little over a week and, although I don't believe I've come close to scratching the surface, I wanted to share a few of my thoughts.

In regard to the clicks/clicking...
As has been brought up in this thread (and a few others I've come across), clicking has been linked to the envelopes of this synth. From what I can manage, the following conditions result in clicking when using any of the three low-pass filters (LP1, LP2 and LP3): a combination of Release values (ADSR2) between 1 and ~3.5 with Cutoff values ~4 and below

At the above settings (that vary somewhat from filter-to-filter, waveform-to-waveforem, etc.), there is a noticeable clicking sound on the 'off' of notes. It is present regardless of the speed of the envelope (i.e., Slow and Fast settings can be changed in the Programming section on the front panel).

As I was deciding on what synth to purchase, I came across a review that mentioned the clicking had been resolved. If the clicking I'm describing above (i.e., the click on the 'off' of a given note) is consistent with what has been mentioned in the other threads/posts/reviews, then I would say it is still present.

However, once the Release (ADSR2) has been increased beyond the 'threshold' mentioned above (please forgive me if my terminology is inappropriate...much of this is very new to me), the clicking goes away. From what I can hear, the clicking goes away before any noticeable change in the 'off' sound. That is, the 'off' is still sharp at these relatively low Release values. As a result, the clicking seems more like an option, than a problem.

My experience with analog synths is extremely limited and I don't really have a reference for the scope of the potential problems of the clicking in other scenarios (e.g., more involved control, cross modulation, etc.). However, for what I've been doing with the synth to this point (i.e., creating leads, basses and other generally cool sounds), I think it sounds pretty amazing.
Old 27th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Big Smoke View Post
I've had the Dominion X SED for a little over a week and, although I don't believe I've come close to scratching the surface, I wanted to share a few of my thoughts.

In regard to the clicks/clicking...
As has been brought up in this thread (and a few others I've come across), clicking has been linked to the envelopes of this synth. From what I can manage, the following conditions result in clicking when using any of the three low-pass filters (LP1, LP2 and LP3): a combination of Release values (ADSR2) between 1 and ~3.5 with Cutoff values ~4 and below

At the above settings (that vary somewhat from filter-to-filter, waveform-to-waveforem, etc.), there is a noticeable clicking sound on the 'off' of notes. It is present regardless of the speed of the envelope (i.e., Slow and Fast settings can be changed in the Programming section on the front panel).

As I was deciding on what synth to purchase, I came across a review that mentioned the clicking had been resolved. If the clicking I'm describing above (i.e., the click on the 'off' of a given note) is consistent with what has been mentioned in the other threads/posts/reviews, then I would say it is still present.

However, once the Release (ADSR2) has been increased beyond the 'threshold' mentioned above (please forgive me if my terminology is inappropriate...much of this is very new to me), the clicking goes away. From what I can hear, the clicking goes away before any noticeable change in the 'off' sound. That is, the 'off' is still sharp at these relatively low Release values. As a result, the clicking seems more like an option, than a problem.

My experience with analog synths is extremely limited and I don't really have a reference for the scope of the potential problems of the clicking in other scenarios (e.g., more involved control, cross modulation, etc.). However, for what I've been doing with the synth to this point (i.e., creating leads, basses and other generally cool sounds), I think it sounds pretty amazing.
thanks for the response. I think I was concerned with the clicking that existed during fast attack times...that is quite annoying IMO...however fast release - as you say - that can be got around by just increasing the release time a bit.
I guess the release time is very fast and so can catch the waveform...

So just to confirm - the clicking is not on your model - affected by the attack time when it is set to fastest or fast?
Old 28th March 2013 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:

However, for what I've been doing with the synth to this point (i.e., creating leads, basses and other generally cool sounds), I think it sounds pretty amazing.
Appreciate your comments. I really like this synth for its specs, form factor and price. I believe it can produce great sounds just not sure at this point in time if it's right for me.

There is a new MFB Kraftzwerg MKII Semi Modular Analog Synthesizer that is due to come out sometime in April that supposedly includes the new sed filter too, will wait to see comments/reviews/sounds.

Thanks
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
So just to confirm - the clicking is not on your model - affected by the attack time when it is set to fastest or fast?
After reading this last night, I tried each waveform of VCO1 through each of the 6 filters over the complete range (roughly) of cutoff frequencies. I adjusted the octave setting from 32 to 4 for each and played a handful of lower, mid and higher notes, too.

With the 'Fast' envelope setting (as set in the Programming section) and the Attack of ADSR2 at the fastest speed (i.e., set to 1), I hear no clicking during any of the above scenarios.

The only clicking I hear, at all, is related to the Release, which, as I posted, can be eliminated (earlier post).
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
After reading this last night, I tried each waveform of VCO1 through each of the 6 filters over the complete range (roughly) of cutoff frequencies. I adjusted the octave setting from 32 to 4 for each and played a handful of lower, mid and higher notes, too.

With the 'Fast' envelope setting (as set in the Programming section) and the Attack of ADSR2 at the fastest speed (i.e., set to 1), I hear no clicking during any of the above scenarios.

The only clicking I hear, at all, is related to the Release, which, as I posted, can be eliminated (earlier post).
thats good to hear thanks for checking. Do you like it by the way?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
thats good to hear thanks for checking. Do you like it by the way?
I think it is awesome and I'm very happy I went with this as my first analog synth.

I was going off of the demos and comments on this site, as well as others, and had narrowed it down between the Dominion X SED and one of the Boomstar models (Studio Electronics). The Boomstars seem like great synths, too, and I was a little hesitant to pull the trigger on the Dominion X SED based on some of the comments related to build quality, clicking and general sound (of the Dominion X SED, that is). While I still would very much like to own one/all of the Boomstar models, I am extremely pleased with my decision. The main reason why I created an account to post on this site was to relay my positive experience with this synth.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think it is awesome and I'm very happy I went with this as my first analog synth.

I was going off of the demos and comments on this site, as well as others, and had narrowed it down between the Dominion X SED and one of the Boomstar models (Studio Electronics). The Boomstars seem like great synths, too, and I was a little hesitant to pull the trigger on the Dominion X SED based on some of the comments related to build quality, clicking and general sound (of the Dominion X SED, that is). While I still would very much like to own one/all of the Boomstar models, I am extremely pleased with my decision. The main reason why I created an account to post on this site was to relay my positive experience with this synth.
fantastic. I think the Dominion looks good - great feature set...I too was concerned about clicks but you have assisted there with your reports...feel free to mention anything else about your experience with it as you get to know it...or share any audio!
Old 15th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It must be asked. What are the additions feature-wise that the Dominion 1 keyboard is bringing over the Dominion X?
Old 15th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The clicking associated with envelopes has more to do with the VCA actually than the envelope in certain cases.

Check out this youtube video and he goes through explaining how this new vca that he's making avoids that issue altogether.

http://youtu.be/Eod87coji48

I wonder if the envelopes are digital or analog in the MFB.
πŸ“ Reply