The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MFB Dominion X SED Analogue Synthesizer
Old 18th April 2013 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
It'll be a few months before I have the money, but gosh darn it I'm excited, it sounds perfect for my style. I do need more knobbage in the studio, as it's only currently the M/P plugiator and monotribe at the mo, so I'm going to grab this and a microwave XT this year and have plenty of tweakability to counteract my many knobless synths (I'm looking at you, Matrix 6!)
It's good to hear that you're excited and have a synth in mind that you like, MFB stuff seems to offer good bang for buck too
Lottsa knobbies can only be a good thing for tweaking and making sounds and the form factor is good. Not sure yet if the sounds are for me.... have to thinky about it

I need to engage in long and careful consideration on what synth to get next and I think I need to wait a while because lottsa stuff coming out and while it's great having choice, I'm

Have fun
Old 21st April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Have you guys heard the demos at the bottom of this page?

MFB Dominion X / X SED – the OSCar effect | GreatSynthesizers

It's not the SED version, but it sounds damn good to me ears. Knowing the SED is end to end discrete, has me drooling even more. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the Dom X SED. Who sells the Dominion X SED? I can't find anyone with them besides ordering directly through the MFB site.
Old 21st April 2013 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Have you guys heard the demos at the bottom of this page?

MFB Dominion X / X SED – the OSCar effect | GreatSynthesizers

It's not the SED version, but it sounds damn good to me ears. Knowing the SED is end to end discrete, has me drooling even more. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the Dom X SED. Who sells the Dominion X SED? I can't find anyone with them besides ordering directly through the MFB site.
Yes heard them, thanks for posting link btw
Where are you located?

Old 21st April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I was listening to some of the SED clips on theirs soundcloud site and they sound pretty good. I think the new Dominion X/1 and the new SE Boomstars have the most vintage organic analog tone out of the new analogs. Being that I have an ATC-Xi, I'm going Dom X. It seems to have a Roland vibe to it. Not sure if others hear this.

From what gathered it's only available in Europe, through a dealer over there or driect from MFB. But here in the US, there seems to be no one with it. I'm guessing because they're relatively new on the market and a distribution deal hasn't been set up yet.
Old 21st April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

From what gathered it's only available in Europe, through a dealer over there or driect from MFB. But here in the US, there seems to be no one with it. I'm guessing because they're relatively new on the market and a distribution deal hasn't been set up yet.
You can purchase MFB in the U.S. from Analogue Haven or Meme Antenna.
Old 22nd April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Got a link? I've checked both of those places and it's not on either site.
Old 22nd April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Got a link? I've checked both of those places and it's not on either site.
I would just email either one and ask if they can order one for you, since they both regularly stock MFB gear.
Or you can order from Thomann.de. I've ordered from them in the US before, got here quick. You'll be rolling the dice on whether you get charged extra import fees though (I did not).
Old 22nd April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ dominion x users knob values catch or jump / is there an option?

I think i m gonna replace my xs with this gem, the only issue the 4u space in the rack. Ideally a subphatty rack would do, looks like a 4u.heh

So when envelopes are fixed i must order one, tripbeat keep us informed pls except if i have missed something. These two + evolver = my monosynths will keep me busy.

Except from some 70s unique tone monos, recent ones like dominion x & 1 are far more interesting. Dom 1 : modulating fm amount is tempting.
Old 22nd April 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I ordered my Dominion X SED from Juno Records (out of London) with absolutely no problems. They seemed to have the lowest prices and the shipping was very fast (i.e., I think it was at my door in Texas in 3 days).
I have no other experience with this company (e.g., technical support, returns, etc.). However, my interaction with the sales rep was great.

I do recommend that anyone living in the US pick up the "Euro to North America" power-plug adapter before it arrives. Otherwise, you'll need to wait that much longer to play.
Old 24th April 2013 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Big Smoke View Post
I ordered my Dominion X SED from Juno Records (out of London) with absolutely no problems. They seemed to have the lowest prices and the shipping was very fast (i.e., I think it was at my door in Texas in 3 days).
I have no other experience with this company (e.g., technical support, returns, etc.). However, my interaction with the sales rep was great.

I do recommend that anyone living in the US pick up the "Euro to North America" power-plug adapter before it arrives. Otherwise, you'll need to wait that much longer to play.
Any chance of posting a couple of dry bass samples with SED filter on/enabled?
If you can't for any reason, no problem....
Old 24th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepest Elements View Post
Any chance of posting a couple of dry bass samples with SED filter on/enabled?
If you can't for any reason, no problem....
yes demo / report please
Old 28th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So I probably won't be able to grab a sed for a few months, by which time the dominion 1 will be out, I must say it's really tempting, I like the extremely vintage look of the ribbon controllers, it has a 128 note x 128 memory pattern sequencer, an actually useful amount! And it has seperate cv outs for each VCO and insane connectability if I get a small eurorack case in the future, I'm mainly interested in the polivoks osc and filter. also there are new filter modes and dynamic fm options.

Could I run an external filter and VCO through the dominions envelopes? Please have a look at the inputs on this pic and tell me if its doable.

http://www.amazona.de/wp-content/upl...3/04/dom1a.jpg

I imagine it's CV1 out to external VCO's CV in, then I get lost!
Old 28th April 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 38a4a95
I assume this is done with "Mix in" input (aprox. in the middle of the lower row) which is then routed to "Noise/Ext" in the Mix section next to the VCO section

but thats just a guess
Old 28th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah I thought that too, bring in the external VCO on the mixer, roll up the cutoff on the units internal filter so the signal passes through, then maybe route adsr 2 out to the external filters control, and finally, the whole sum audio output goes through the external filter and then on to the mixer.

See this way I could build up some really cool eurorack oscillators, eg polivoks, zero thru, Wavetable, etc, some cool filters, a couple more lfo's, without needing to buy dull things like envelopes and mixers and blah blah blah. And I could go at my own pace, start with an already fully equipped synth and build from there
Old 28th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
So I probably won't be able to grab a sed for a few months, by which time the dominion 1 will be out, I must say it's really tempting, I like the extremely vintage look of the ribbon controllers, it has a 128 note x 128 memory pattern sequencer, an actually useful amount! And it has seperate cv outs for each VCO and insane connectability if I get a small eurorack case in the future, I'm mainly interested in the polivoks osc and filter. also there are new filter modes and dynamic fm options.

Could I run an external filter and VCO through the dominions envelopes? Please have a look at the inputs on this pic and tell me if its doable.

http://www.amazona.de/wp-content/upl...3/04/dom1a.jpg

I imagine it's CV1 out to external VCO's CV in, then I get lost!
woah you are already thinking about adding filters and Osc when it has so many modes?!

to add in Osc should be fairly easy so long as you have:

CV and Trigger out to play the Osc notes
External Input

If you want to add a filter but use the Dom env - you will need Env/LFO CV outs and Trigger outs into your external filter and amp. Then seperately you may need to take the Osc outputs, add an external mixer and any other audio sources - into your filter -> into the external in...
Old 28th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'll probably just add oscs at first, an fm one and a polivoks, this is all wayyyy down the line, I'd just have the dom on it's own for a year first, but I wanted to check it was expandable in the way I wanted, so I could dabble my toes in eurocrack in a few years time
Old 5th October 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
great filters..great sound..

someone could tell me how i can make deep bass with this beast..

i think this synth is dedicated for leads and fx..

could you give me some instructions for deep bass?

thank you for your time!
Old 5th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
you need to use a square wave and a triangle wave an octave below, then use a high pass filter, set the high pass filter to a position between 1 & 5% and crank the resonance, this in fact boosts the bass response
Old 6th October 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
you need to use a square wave and a triangle wave an octave below, then use a high pass filter, set the high pass filter to a position between 1 & 5% and crank the resonance, this in fact boosts the bass response
Thank you very much!!!!
Old 19th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dredging up this thread.

Has anyone who has used an MFB Synth II compared this to the newer Cominion X or 1?

Synth II sounds great as is, so curious mainly how the oscillators and main 24db filter compare.
πŸ“ Reply