The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best low budget polyphonic analog synth for pads? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 18th August 2006
Gear Head

Best low budget polyphonic analog synth for pads?

I think the question is enough explicit .

Thanks for your answer.
Old 18th August 2006
Gear Maniac

Juno 106
(certainly works for William Orbit)
Old 19th August 2006
Lives for gear

Another vote for the juno 106 !
Old 20th August 2006
Lives for gear

Check out an Alesis Ion.

DP
Old 20th August 2006
Lives for gear

Juno 60 sounds better than the 106.
I have had all the Juno's over the years (except for the new one) and the 106really isn't the best sounding- the 6 is wonderful but no memory at all.

You could could pick up a Juno 6 for about $250, easily.
Old 21st August 2006
Gear Addict

juno 6, 60, or 106. 106 obtains more "variety" for some reason. It's also has the more stable DCO's, meaning it's not as "phat" as the six or sixty, as it's rock solid in the tuning department.
Old 21st August 2006
Gear Guru

MKS70 (rack mount Super JX) is wonderful for lush analog pads. Technically I guess it is an analog hybrid.
Old 31st August 2006
Lives for gear

I'd suggest one that no one knows about but is killer. The MFB Polylite!!! stike It doesn't have any knows, but can be controlled through midi. There is an optional software program that gives you acces to all the parameters. Let me repeat though. The Synthlite is REAL Analog, not digital. So it's the real deal. I don't know if you've ever heard MFB synths, but they rock. And I can only imagine what the Poly version is like. The filter is a Moog clone and it rocks, Big time! I've had the MKS70 and would recommend it if you want real lush sounding pads. Junos are nice as well, but I think the 70 still has the edge pads.

But for $350, you could get a MFB Synthlite. That's a great deal
Old 31st August 2006
Gear Addict

According to MFB the PolyLite uses Digital oscillators.
I've read as well the the older MFB synths oscillators aren't as 'analogue' as they claim (stepped sawtooth wave obviously thru a DAC).
I guess though, if you're after a real analogue poly you're after KNOBS and a keyboard.
Old 31st August 2006
Gear Head

If you're on a really tight budget I'd suggest looking at the Roland JX-3P. Same time period as the Junos, simlar to the 106 but with 2 osc per voice and 6 voice polyphonic. The only thing the 106 has over it is the unison modes (and the real-time sliders). It's got some nice analog string-type sounds, and it's pretty easy to program for even without the extra programmer (the pg-200). I got mine for $100 and I've seen them go on ebay for not much more.

Tim
Old 11th September 2006
Gear Nut

The best analog poly synth for pads would be the Oberheim Matrix 1000 or Matrix 6. You can get them on ebay for about $300. Get the software editor as well. One of the best analog poly synths ever made. Don’t even think twice.

I got a korg poly mate

The Korg Poly 800, its good-ish, it has some noise floor problems, i adore it, and i think i got if for about £100 of ebay, 4 voices, 8 if you only use one ocs

DCO, and ummm midi, and Delay, and keyboard, no knobs

very retro though, full of 80's style presets, But, Nice filter!
Old 22nd October 2006
Gear Addict

Here's another vote for the Juno 60.

We use it all the time for pads even though there is a Jupiter 8, Prophet 5 and CS-80 among others sitting right next to it. The Juno 60 has a way of fitting into a track really well.

But don't worry, the other synths in our studio get plenty of use too. My partner has become an expert at tuning the CS80!

Good luck.
Old 22nd October 2006
Lives for gear

Juno 60
Kawai SX240 (fabulous)
Korg Polysix
Old 29th October 2006
Here for the gear

Its a myth that the juno60 sounds fatter sound than a juno106. Just because its got wooden end cheeks dosent mean that it any sounds bettter. The juno106 is much deeper. I dont know if its the filter or the oscillators or the subosc. I own them, aswell as a prophet 5, ms-10 and some other crap, and have used them for nearly everyday for the last 4 years. I should know.
Old 29th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroem View Post
Its a myth that the juno60 sounds fatter sound than a juno106. Just because its got wooden end cheeks dosent mean that it any sounds bettter. The juno106 is much deeper. I dont know if its the filter or the oscillators or the subosc. I own them, aswell as a prophet 5, ms-10 and some other crap, and have used them for nearly everyday for the last 4 years. I should know.
In your opinion maybe.
In my experience, the 60 is MUCH nicer and warmer and deeper than the 106 (and I should also know)
Old 30th October 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
In your opinion maybe.
In my experience, the 60 is MUCH nicer and warmer and deeper than the 106 (and I should also know)
I would not say that the 106 is any nicer, it’s a different synthesizer with a different sound. The tone of the Juno 60 is harsher but does not mean that it sounds bad. It has other qualities. Same for the arpegiator/portamento. I would never give away the portamento on the 106 for arpeg. on the 60. But on the other hand I would never give away the arpeg on the 60 for the portamento on the 106!

As both of them is digital controlled there is almost no course tuning of the oscillators. So its either the sub osc. Or the filter in the juno106 that makes it more dynamic and bassier without losing any top.

An other thing that makes the juno106 fatter is its mono mode (ok i know there is a hidden mono mode on the 60 but its almost impossible to play).

The juno series of synths is in fact not so "fat" at all. I don’t know where it got that reputation. If you want something fat and old school look for something that has a transistor/diode ladder kind of filter construction, like a moogfilter, korg35 or a SSM filter/osc etc.
Old 30th October 2006
Lives for gear

I agree that the Junos aren't "fat" in the typical sense of the word (and being a total synthslut, I can compare all of these with my Polyfusion, R.A.Moog Minimoog, 2600, 2500, Buchla, Serge etc etc) but the juno 60 IS fuller. Or at least the ones I have had are. ( I have had 2 106's and 3 60's) and ALWAYS found the 106's to be thinner. Everyone who worked with me also always found the 60's "better" sounding for deeper stuff. The 106 we used a lot for techno sequences (in the old days!) and it works because for me it is tightier and thinner. It fitted into the range above the low end. The 60 just worked better for me at anything like a bassline.
Mono mode on any of them SUCK I think.

Of course, my opinion (and those I worked or work with)

Personal choice is a great thing!
Old 30th October 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
I agree that the Junos aren't "fat" in the typical sense of the word (and being a total synthslut, I can compare all of these with my Polyfusion, R.A.Moog Minimoog, 2600, 2500, Buchla, Serge etc etc) but the juno 60 IS fuller. Or at least the ones I have had are. ( I have had 2 106's and 3 60's) and ALWAYS found the 106's to be thinner. Everyone who worked with me also always found the 60's "better" sounding for deeper stuff. The 106 we used a lot for techno sequences (in the old days!) and it works because for me it is tightier and thinner. It fitted into the range above the low end. The 60 just worked better for me at anything like a bassline.
Mono mode on any of them SUCK I think.

Of course, my opinion (and those I worked or work with)

Personal choice is a great thing!
Its strange how perception works, or perhaps my 106 are an exception? Either way I think you should rethink the use of the monomode on 106. You can get some really weird phase distortion going on there if you mess around with the protamento.

and yeah I know, the juno-106 can be rather harsh or thin sounding if you have a high cutoff freq but that’s not what we are talking about. If you do a pad sound you probably want to have a middle to low kind of value on the cutoff, I don’t know exactly but at least <1500Hz, and in that case there is not a chance in the world that it sound thin when you got the HPF setting down on 0.

But it would be fun to really investigate a little further into this, when i have a little more time I will translate some good juno60 bass sounds to the juno106 as closly as possible, and translate some good 106 sounds to the juno60 and record them and doing some messurement to show you what I mean.

and yeah I agree with you; in the end its what works best with you that counts. But that does not eliminate the fact that you are wrong.

by the way
and if you like synthesizers be sure to check out my myspace project www.myspace.com/infantiltinferno

Best wishes
Ludvig
Old 30th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroem View Post

and yeah I agree with you; in the end its what works best with you that counts. But that does not eliminate the fact that you are wrong.

www.myspace.com/infantiltinferno

Best wishes
Ludvig
I always reserve the right to be wrong

David
www.myspace.com/morleysmusic
Old 30th October 2006
everyone recommended the juno so i'll add the akai AX-60 to the list
Old 29th July 2018
Gear Head
just thought I should bump this so we can all have a cry about the prices

happy Sunday all
Old 29th July 2018
Gear Addict
Well, just change the recommended synth to a Deepmind, shall the OP still be looking for a synth
Old 29th July 2018
PES
Lives for gear

I did cry a little.

Anyway, AX60 was mentioned (back in '06), one of the still-reasonably priced ones. Yesterday I paired mine with a Moog Minifooger Chorus. The onboard chorus is a bit exaggerated and harsh, so I wanted something I could dial to be more subtle. And yes, it opened up the potential of the synth, vastly.

AX60->MF Chorus->Deluxe Memory Boy
Old 30th July 2018
Lives for gear
JX-3P. Nothing else in that price range comes close for REAL analog vibe nor features.

PWM is missing but with 2 oscs and a touch of LFO movement it is what it is.

have owned ALL the junos (some multiple times) and 4 JX-3Ps (and AX-80, JX8P/MKS70 blah blah blah).

Still got a 3P. It's that good (and under-rated). It hangs with my SH-2 and Prophet 6 (A pad monster btw) just fine.

Non analog pad monster? JD-800! beautiful! Best digital I've ever owned for sheer sound quality and analog-esque dimension and texture.

And the same applied in 2006 as it does today.
Old 30th July 2018
Lives for gear

Oberheim Matrix-6: if you can’t squeeze a decent pad out of this, try a mattress instead.
Old 30th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
JX-3P. Nothing else in that price range comes close for REAL analog vibe nor features.
Prophet 600?
Old 30th July 2018
Gear Addict

Roland J3XP for vintage
Reon Driftbox SE for new and if you don't mind modules. (4 crusty oscillators paraphonic with deliicious 12dB filter)
Old 30th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlaker View Post
Prophet 600?
Never seen a P600 go for the same price as a JX-3P. Often twice as much or more.

Once you get over a grand I'd just say go get a Prophet 6 and have the best all round synth (including great tone/filters) god (Dave Smith) ever created.
Old 30th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysene View Post
just thought I should bump this so we can all have a cry about the prices

happy Sunday all
You're not wrong, JX3P are being sold between £600 to £1,100 now with programmer at higher end and dependant on condition, Juno 106 is in the higher end ballpark of those prices too and is an expensive bit of kit to replace the voices.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search