The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
great vid on detroit
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear
great vid on detroit

apologize if a repost...
Old 1st March 2013
Gear Addict

Great post, thanks.

By the way, any one else switch this to mono while watching it? I couldn't stand the voice being panned all over in the stereo field..
Old 1st March 2013
Whats the track used on the intro?
Old 1st March 2013
yeah it's a repost. it's actually a series of 3 (cities).
do a search
but I'll leave it here since it's a cool video heh

(incidentally the city of Detroit has just filed for bankruptcy. )
Old 1st March 2013
They should just put all their 808's up on ebay. That should clear their debts.
Old 1st March 2013

on a serious note...
it'd be a waste to try to close a huge paper (imaginairy) debt hole with real, tangible assets (which are the ticket to recognition for kids living there) wouldn't it? it's not so much the people living there, that's the problem.
they're making the best of it, despite the "wealth" trickling down on them.
http://www.newgeography.com/content/...down-economics
urban farms Detroit
Beyond the Hood? Detroit Techno, Underground Resistance, and African American Metropolitan Identity Politics | fiar
Old 1st March 2013
Huge respect for Mad Mike and the work he and UR have been doing in Detroit, been reading about it for years in mags like The Wire and online. It's a very sad story but as you say, the people are making the best of it. I hope they see better days ahead. Same old story everywhere tho, aint it? Imaginary debt that the poorest of the poor get saddled with.
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
yeah it's a repost. it's actually a series of 3 (cities).
do a search
but I'll leave it here since it's a cool video heh

(incidentally the city of Detroit has just filed for bankruptcy. )
but searching is frought with effort...

heh

sorry. you gotta admit, it's worth it to see ectomorph in a Mono Poly t-shirt again.
Old 1st March 2013
Gear Maniac

Spent a few hours last night watching stuff about Detroit techno on YouTube, I guess I'm in for another few hours! Thanks for posting this. Detroit sounds were my entree into electronic music but haven't listened to anything like that in years. Just rifled through my records and dug out loads of old Detroit stuff, KS, DM, JA etc. It's making me lust for a 909 now...
Old 25th March 2013
BBG
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak260 View Post
but searching is frought with effort...

heh

sorry. you gotta admit, it's worth it to see ectomorph in a Mono Poly t-shirt again.
come on, seriously, what do you really know about detroit? nothing.
Old 25th March 2013
Gear Nut

I'll tell you what, Detroit could become the model for urban renewal. We have so much raw talent and ability, but the politics within the city are fraught with troubles. The Governor has declared Detroit in financial emergency status, and it is getting an Emergency Financial Manager to see the city through bankruptcy, as Reptil mentioned.

I have heard the Detroit arts scene compared to Berlin. Detroit has a vibrant art and music scene, and there is a lot of collaboration, but what we need most is people that can take over derelict property and reshape the urban environment by creating new industry. If you have a house in a neighborhood with abandoned lots, you could easily buy the next plot of land from the city for the price of an eBay DSI synth and start farming, or build a business.

Check this out:

Old 25th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junipersuction View Post
Spent a few hours last night watching stuff about Detroit techno on YouTube, I guess I'm in for another few hours! Thanks for posting this. Detroit sounds were my entree into electronic music but haven't listened to anything like that in years. Just rifled through my records and dug out loads of old Detroit stuff, KS, DM, JA etc. It's making me lust for a 909 now...
I've lived in metro Detroit my whole life and have no idea what detroit techno is. When I think of Detroit music, its motown, classic rock/bob seger, then later on hip hop with eminem, dilla, etc. It always surprises me to read about ppl who grew up in other cities knowing detroit for its techno music, because its really never been a prominant genre here, at least in my experiences. Its cool to hear that its recognized for that by some, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference between a techno song from detroit or france. It all sounds the same to me. What is it about techno music from detroit that separates it from other regions?
Old 25th March 2013
Wildfunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse381 View Post
It always surprises me to read about ppl who grew up in other cities knowing detroit for its techno music, because its really never been a prominant genre here, at least in my experiences.
It never was big in Detroit itself but very big in Europe (especially Germany) in the early 90's.

Quote:
What is it about techno music from detroit that separates it from other regions?
Detroit techno - Wikipedia
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've lived in metro Detroit my whole life and have no idea what detroit techno is. When I think of Detroit music, its motown, classic rock/bob seger, then later on hip hop with eminem, dilla, etc. It always surprises me to read about ppl who grew up in other cities knowing detroit for its techno music, because its really never been a prominant genre here, at least in my experiences. Its cool to hear that its recognized for that by some, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference between a techno song from detroit or france. It all sounds the same to me. What is it about techno music from detroit that separates it from other regions?
it was big enough in Michigan, not sure how old you are, but I would say the peak was maybe mid to late 90s.
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
some people just don't know techno. if you don't like it why bother?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search