The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prophet 08 vs prophet 600 vs Jupiter 6
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear
Prophet 08 vs prophet 600 vs Jupiter 6

Hi all

Sorry another thread along these lines.

However, I actually want advice about which synth best complements my set up to give a new sound that fits along with what I have, but is different and complementary.

Forget reliability, midi features, re sale value and price. I want the most inspiring synth that will give me something different to this lot:

Moog lil phatty
Dsi mopho kb
Dsi tempest
Juno 106
Vermona drm
Xoxbox

I want an analogue poly different to the juno.

I know I'd love the 08 but I also know I want a jp 6 and it would probably bring a different flavour to he table.

The prophet 600 is also a candidate.

Appreciate any opinions centred on getting a good balance of sounds between the options.

Thanks.
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbump View Post
I want the most inspiring synth that will give me something different to this lot:

. . .
Dsi mopho kb
Dsi tempest
. . .
I don't understand why you'd put the P08 on your list if you already have 2 DSI synths and you want the new synth to offer something different. Given your criteria, the P08 doesn't belong.

Now, all you need to do is decide between the Jupiter 6 and the P600.
Old 19th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooftree View Post
I don't understand why you'd put the P08 on your list if you already have 2 DSI synths and you want the new synth to offer something different. Given your criteria, the P08 doesn't belong.

Now, all you need to do is decide between the Jupiter 6 and the P600.
agreed!

I had a juno 106 when I bought my Jupiter 6...I sold my juno 106 a week later, never played it anymore. The Jupiter 6 gave me that roland sound I used the juno for.

I would sell the juno-106 and get a Jupiter 6 and prophet600...that would awesome!

Old 19th February 2013
i'm thinking it's pretty clear you're going to be needing all three.

but 4 seriously: ob-8/xa or prophet 5.

p.s. out of those three, i would think the p600 is the most different to the ones currently in your collection. that said, they are all very nice. j6 sounds roland-y but with a twist. the blippity bloopity zingy edgy type of lemony twist.

p.p.s. i just got a kawai sx-240 and i have a similar setup to yours and it brings something altogether new to the mix. but so would jupiter 6 and prophet 600. + everyone is going to implore you to lose the juno 106, but i would keep it. i think they are simply wonderful.
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear

I actually would look at an OB8. I think it would be a more interesting contrast to what you have.

The 3 synths you listed are all generally more aggressive sounding analogues. Althought the Mopho is monophonic, it has the same charactor.

Personally, I'd sell the Juno 106, and buy a DSI Tetra (to expand the Mopho), and get an OB8, which, even though is a CEM based synth, has that lovely smooth Oberheim sound.
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear
I'll add a few little bits regarding what I know on this topic (which isn't much)...

The JP6 and Juno 106 have a fair amount of overlap. The 106 has a much rounder bottom end with its great sounding sub osc. But with a little bass EQ boost on the JP6 you'll be able to easily cover everything on the 106 but the chorus.

If you factor in a Europa upgrade you'll see that those features really add a huge amount to the JP6. In my opinion one should never consider a Jupiter 6 without factoring in Europa to the feature set/cost of the keyboard.
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear
Thank you for the comments.

I would have bet my house on someone saying get a Tetra in there!

I had a Tetra and sold it to fund a re-201. I didn't use it owing to the need to use the editor.

The P08 is on the list for the polyphony {mopho 4 not enough} and access to largely single function dials compared to the mopho and tempest. As a reliable poly it's a great option. I like the mopho, wish it had more voices = Prophet 08 coming my way at some point in future now I know the P12 is a taking different slant.

Appreciate the sound is what I have covered with the 6 voices of tempest but that isn't something I ever use it for as I need immediacy rather than menu diving when playing keys. I like the P08 sound, not sure I'd be blown away like I hope to be by jp6 or 600 though?

RE the jupiter - absolutely going to fit the Europa kit.

Not going to sell the Juno 106 - I really love it, simple in a way that encourages me to mess about and be creative. Deep bass is great, nice pads, and this one is like brand new so it's not going anywhere!

So JP6, 600 or a new contender I haven't experience of in the OB8.

Is not the OB8 sounds largely similar to brassier leanings of the P08?

cheers
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear

If you want a tight and punchy Roland, go for the Jupiter-6. If you want a BIG "American" sounding polysynth, go for the OB8, or P-600 for a different, rougher flavour (and smaller budget). No sense in getting a P'08 with Tempest and Mopho around, IMO.

I'd go for the Jupiter-6 first. I just sold mine, but only because I got silly money for it (that I spent on an Andromeda), and I'm already saving up to buy one (or an MKS-80) again later this year.

- CM
Lives for gear

Quote:
not sure I'd be blown away like I hope to be by jp6 ?
I very much doubt you'd be blown away by a JP6. Tbth, I wasn't at all. Look past the looks and the name, & its actually quite a medicore sounding synth imho.

There are a few people here who will jump to its defence, but its always been in the 2nd class flagship catagory, and for good reason imho.

Quote:
Is not the OB8 sounds largely similar to brassier leanings of the P08?

cheers
Not really. Although there are a few similarities in sound, the OB8 (and I mean 8, not Xa) can do mellow and soft in a way P08 could only dream of.

A fair amount of vintage synths are based around CEM chips, but sound very very different.
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear
OB8 sounds amazing I must say from having listened to a few videos on youtube. I would definitely enjoy it.

I {try} to make house, deeper stuff so prefer the warm sound, but then juno is providing nice warm round bass and pads.

I dunno, makes my head hurt thinking about the options!
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear
First world problems as they say...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
I very much doubt you'd be blown away by a JP6. Tbth, I wasn't at all. Look past the looks and the name, & its actually quite a medicore sounding synth imho.

There are a few people here who will jump to its defence, but its always been in the 2nd class flagship catagory, and for good reason imho.
Well, when I first got mine it didn't make me go "PHWOAARR!" either. Fat, smooth, lush, big... Nah. Not the best synth for these.

Feature-wise, a Europa equipped Jupiter-6 is hard to beat by any synth. But features aren't everything.

Quote:
I dunno, makes my head hurt thinking about the options!
There are a couple of great JP-6 demos on YouTube that demonstrate the character nicely (and I have a couple in my SoundCloud). I'd suggest to listen to those and compare them to some OB8 and P-600 demos as I think the difference in characters will be apparent. And if you still can't make up your mind, just do what I do and buy whichever synth you come across first heh And if you end up not liking them, sell them on for little or no loss, or even make a little profit.

- CM
Old 20th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey M View Post
And if you still can't make up your mind, just do what I do and buy whichever synth you come across first heh And if you end up not liking them, sell them on for little or no loss, or even make a little profit.

- CM
A fair approach.

Trouble is I know of both a 600 and a jp6 available reasonably locally.

Having just watched the vids I want both at some point. I probably prefer the 600 sound but I know the jp6 will suit what I have nicely and get used.

I did just sell an Virus so it's probably ok to just pop out and come back with a car full of synths in one trip isn't it?
Lives for gear
[QUOTE=Carey M;8764525](and I have a couple in my SoundCloud).

Whats your soundcloud btw?

Cheers
Old 20th February 2013
Gear Guru
I'd vote Jupiter 6
Old 20th February 2013
Gear Addict

I have always wanted a JP6 since the first day I saw one new at a local music store. Less weight and size than the the JP8 and simple midi. Easy splits and when effects are added just beautiful. It is on my top 10 list of synths I never got to own along with the DX7 MKI.
Old 20th February 2013
Gear Addict
JP6 IMO... Prophet 600 doesn't do it for me.
Old 20th February 2013
Gear Addict

The Prophet 600 has a really, really godawful envelope generator and LFO, and the pots are the most heavily quantized early digital things I've ever experienced on an analog. I have a bit of a love hate with both the P600 and the JP6 actually, because both could have been fantastic but neither really are. Between the two the P600 is the more interesting sounding IMO, but the JP6 can do more and does it all more elegantly. The sound of both is totally different. Neither is very punchy, but the P600 can be really fat sounding, while the JP6 always sounds kind of cold and precise. Think the thin, somewhat uninteresting sound of modern DSI in vintage Roland form.

I had both for several years apeice, and never really loved either. The only reason I regret selling them is that they are both worth about 4 times what I got for them back then now ha.

If you want the roland sound in a poly the Juno 60 is king. JP6 does a lot more, but doesn't sound as good while doing it. P600 is more unique, but the slow envelopes were kind of a deal breaker for me... it is a big sounding synth and if it were able to punch like a Juno 60 it would probably be one of my favorites. It can't though, not even close.

If it were my money, Juno 60 and Minerva. Between what you have listed? JP6.
Old 20th February 2013
Quote:
Forget reliability, midi features, re sale value and price. I want the most inspiring synth that will give me something different to this lot:

Moog lil phatty
Dsi mopho kb
Dsi tempest
Juno 106
Vermona drm
Xoxbox

I want an analogue poly different to the juno.
i echo most of sentiments already expressed here. of the three you proposed id probably choose JP6 as well. tho i also like the basic sound of P600 the best, as most organic of the lot (with all the downsides like envs and knob resolution withstanding). however, looking for most inspiring, i would extend the choice to:

Korg Polysix - beatiful SSM sound, totally different from everything you got. cheap.
Oberheim OB8 - expensive. less flexible than JP6, but bigger organic sound.

fwiw, i think only problem with JP6 is ppl expect Jupiter8 sound in cheaper package, or Prophet5 or OBXa sound because its based on same oscillators. its neither.

its got colder focused and pure sound, with little saturation. and as such its also unique in its own right. even tho i use em, i dont think every sound or production needs to have girth of american polys. its even easier to fit JP6 in many modern productions. after i sold my MKS80 rev4 (which is very similar) i do wish i picked up a JP6 when they were going for $1.3k for ages and ages. always toyed with the idea. alas too late now. i also find it one of most beautiful synths ever made, sharing the fantastic inviting UI with its big brother.
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear
I had looked at the korg actually and completely forgot about that. I think that's a really good suggestion if I fit a midi kit to it. The kiwisix midi kit seems very much on a par with the Europa for the jp6

For me the korg would take the 600 out of the equation as having less downsides but different enough sound to the juno.

Jp6, korg Polysix, then one day when funds permit an ob8.

Now just to find a local shop where I can do a quick A vs B vs C comparison before I buy. Pretty sure digital village doesn't cover that..

Cheers again
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear
Looking at the choice between those 3, and personally I can't help put price/value in there a little too - my choice of the three would be:

uhm...

POLYSIX! :P

For mono layer 2 (w/sub) same voices Using hold) in chord mode, small touch of PWM and Chorus and play that sucker like a 2 VCO super synth, small bit of mod on the filter... sounds amazing.. warm, thick.

Can't say I've heard P08 sound like that, P600? not sure.. JP6? Nice enough but not for those types of analog sounds.

And when you consider a P6 is half the price of a JP6... errr..

POLYSIX!

But then I Have my JD-800 for bandpass duties which I couldn't be without, and that sits nicely with the P6.

using the 2 note chord mode 'trick' I have a sound here that sounds exactly like the D,A,D,A bass synth on the Tel Aviv (Duran) intro - which I can only assume was NR's Prophet 5 because the filter sounds so similar! Not bad for a 'cheap' synth <£1000
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear

I owned a Jupiter-6 with Europa ones, and what a good looking synth it was. The problem I had was that it didn’t fit in my mixes… Really strange but it felt that the JP6 never really blended well into the mix. I sold it and bought an Oberheim OB8. I still regret I sold the OB8… warm, big and a lot of cool modulation in the Page-2 section.

I also owned a Prophet~600. I really liked the P600, it had that Sequential Circuits sound and it could do some Prophet~5 like sounds. Yes the envelopes are sluggish and some controls as poor resolution but I never used it for tight, fast basses. I used it for strings, pads and leads before I installed MIDI in my P5. Would I buy a P600 today… no I would pick the Prophet~08.

As described above, check out the Polysix, it’s a very nice sounding instrument. Not packed with functions and modulation but I rather have a synth that sounds good than a synth that sounds so so but has tons of modulation possibilities. You can always use software synths if you want to do crazy modulation stuff tightly synced with MIDI.

Regards
Demokid
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokid View Post
I rather have a synth that sounds good when a synth that sounds so so but has tons of modulation possibilities.
Amen to that.

I agree with Polysix suggestions above, beautiful sounding synth, but I would still try and scrape the extra £££ to secure an OB8.

Think im one of the few who actually prefer its overall sound to the Xa.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Amen to that.

I agree with Polysix suggestions above, beautiful sounding synth, but I would still try and scrape the extra £££ to secure an OB8.
Yep, sound first, features and mod routings after.

How much do OB-8s with midi go for in the UK these days btw? Everyone says expensive, but how expensive are we talking here?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep, sound first, features and mod routings after.

How much do OB-8s with midi go for in the UK these days btw? Everyone says expensive, but how expensive are we talking here?
I just checked Ebay (UK) (which is always on the high side) and the last OB8 was £1850. (but auction was ended early, so I'm guessing it sold out of ebay).

Checked Ebay (US) and theres one for $3000 BIN (approx £1943)

SOS Readers ads has one listed in Jan which is £1900 (with possible p/x)

So I would say you would get a serviced one in good condition for under or around £2k. Maybe a bit cheaper if bought privately.
Lives for gear
Quote:
So I would say you would get a serviced one in good condition for under or around £2k. Maybe a bit cheaper if bought privately.
It's about the same money as JP6s then which does change things a little.

I actually had contacted the guy in greece selling the one on ebay. Asked for evidence of the service etc and he said what more evidence do you need other than it all works? You have to love ebay dont you?

cheers
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not going to sell the Juno 106 - I really love it, simple in a way that encourages me to mess about and be creative. ..
The Prophet 8 gave me a lot of very Junoish sounds, so imo if you're looking for sonic variety you might want something else.

But the P8 is much deeper of course..
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear
For the Oberheim OB-8, is there a particular revision it's best to go for?

Found one which the current owner says is an A8, so non midi.

Is it only the kenton kit that is now available as a retro fit option or is there any other option?

Cheers all again
Lives for gear

Quote:

Is it only the kenton kit that is now available as a retro fit option or is there any other option?

Cheers all again
I have the Kenton on my OBXa, and it works fine, but from reading previous midi threads concerning Oberheim polys, the Encore kit seems to be the one to get.

http://www.encoreelectronics.com/cont_product.html

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/ite...heim/ob8.shtml
Old 20th February 2013

Multiple people are working to make the Prophet 600 a lot more functional by making an add-on chip that redoes the LFO and envelopes, fixes the stepping of the pots and makes the LFO and arpeggiator sync-able to MIDI.

PROPHET 600 SPIRIT

I'd get the P600 and bank on the update if you want something cheaper. The Jupiter has a better filter and negative envelopes for wonkiness, but the P600 has some haunted, f'ed up character to it that's in a class of its own. Also the P600 can set different values for each oscillator's PWM settings and has better modulation.
📝 Reply