The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prophet 08 vs prophet 600 vs Jupiter 6
Old 7th June 2013 | Show parent
messiaen
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbump View Post
Latest update:

Keeping them all!

Selling a Tempest though as a concession to sanityif anyone's interested in London uk.

Cheers
sounds like a great set up! apart from ebay where have you sourced this stuff from in UK, if not SOS or bumtree?

I had one bad experience on ebay bought a damaged synth so just looking to buy new from now on, going to get a prophet 12, but I also want a nice warm analog poly to compliment it, may go for polysix as the propet 12 is a huge wad.

how does prophet 08 compare to Ob8 by the way?
Old 8th June 2013

MrBump, sell the Prophet 08 and get the Prophet 600!!!!! I've played the 08 and own a 600, and it really has no comparison. Same parameters as the Prophet 5 but with its own sound. I love it so much even though it does 'less'. It has most of its flexibility mirrored in the Jupiter 6 but with its own character, so it could be overkill... But it could also be heaven
Old 27th June 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiaen View Post
how does prophet 08 compare to Ob8 by the way?
I don't think you'd be disappointed if you bought the p08.

But if you then bought an ob8 you'd be even less disappointed. It's got such a lovely, lovely sound, and it should be as it costs about a grand more.

The Jp6 I always wanted but am not using much at the moment. I have to walk past the ob8 before I get to the jp6 you see..

cheers
Old 4th October 2013
Irregular updates from the world of polysynth addiction:

Sold my immaculate Juno 106 last week and am picking up a Juno 60 to replace it this weekend. Just thought I should..

I have a Polysix on order with the Kiwisix fitted.

Sold the Jomox 888 and bought an MFB Tanzbar - which sounds fantastic for house drum duty. Really, really good bit of kit.

Cheers
Old 8th October 2013
Last night I sold the Prophet 08.

Having lived with them all for a while, and being thoroughly spoilt for choice, the OB-8 and JP-6 are the keepers of the bunch.

I really liked the 106 too but imagine I will like the Juno 60 more.

The P08 sound and the user interface wasn't quite for me, I thought the filter was a bit nothingy.

I have a Mopho KB so I still have access to the DSI sound.

I think a Korg Polysix for it's ethereal pads and I'll be done (ha!)
Old 26th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Last night I sold the Prophet 08.

Having lived with them all for a while, and being thoroughly spoilt for choice, the OB-8 and JP-6 are the keepers of the bunch.

I really liked the 106 too but imagine I will like the Juno 60 more.

The P08 sound and the user interface wasn't quite for me, I thought the filter was a bit nothingy.

I have a Mopho KB so I still have access to the DSI sound.

I think a Korg Polysix for it's ethereal pads and I'll be done (ha!)
love this thread. bump for updates!
Old 27th May 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Last night I sold the Prophet 08. Having lived with them all for a while, and being thoroughly spoilt for choice, the OB-8 and JP-6 are the keepers of the bunch. I really liked the 106 too but imagine I will like the Juno 60 more.
yep prefer the Juno6/60 sound myself... tho if you love the 80s' sound, the Juno106 has that mix of warm-analog w/glossy-digital combination in buckets.

Quote:
The P08 sound and the user interface wasn't quite for me, I thought the filter was a bit nothingy. I have a Mopho KB so I still have access to the DSI sound. I think a Korg Polysix for it's ethereal pads and I'll be done (ha!)
i have a MophoKB/Tetra which i use all the time, but again yep; the DSI filter does have a sweet spot, but it's fairly flat and somewhat narrow range... the modulation tho is so awesome ...and lately i've been using a friends MS-20mini MIDI'ed to the MophoKB as a 4 oscillator synth (i always enjoy the flangy quality of VCO/DCO resonating)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBQIII View Post
love this thread. bump for updates!
yeh missed this one 1st time round; thx for bumping
Old 3rd June 2014
Update:

I think I prefer the 106 to the Juno 60 on reflection. I could live without the Juno 60 no problem but mine is like new so I dont want to part with it as I'd never find one in that condition again.

The jp6 is an absolute keeper as already said, very deep and multi filter is great.

The ob8 and Juno 60 may have to go to pay for a new bathroom, kitchen, central heating and floor for my flat. Unfortunately needs must.

The ob8 is a keeper but I just can't afford to keep it when I have such big life bills coming up.

An elektron analog keys has joined the fleet, as has an sh101 and a vermona mono lancet.

I sold the moog lil Phatty and Mopho KB.

I want a mfb dominion 1, so the sh101 might have to go to pay for that.

In summary: I like synths.

Good day.
Old 25th September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
Call me crazy but if I could only have one of the 3 synths in the topic, it'd be the P600
Me too!

I have owned a P600,OB-8 and JP-6. The OB-8 is bigger, more detuney and smoother sounding than the P600 but the extra features on P600 e.g. polymod, proper mixer controls, better modulation,and lower price gives it the edge. And then you add in the Gligli upgrade - resolves pot resolution issues, extra LFO shapes, improved envelope speed and exponential envelope shapes and it's a no brainer - P600 all the way. The P600 also has far the best filter of the three.

Jupiter 6 is massively overpriced. Looks nice, but sounds inferior to the P600 and OB-8. The JP-6 just doesn't have that vintage, organic, analogue sound, yes it still sounds analogue but not in a warm, pleasing way. The software envelopes only have a linear shape so you can't get classic synth bass sounds out of it and there's no filter FM like on the P600. Also, whilst the multimode filter is nice to have the filter itself doesn't sound all that great and the band pass mode is virtually unusable as it makes the output so quiet.
Old 28th September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:

I have a Polysix on order with the Kiwisix fitted.
Seeing how someone else already bumped...

did you ever get your polysix and did you sell it again? Curious as to how you thought it compared, especially to the Junos.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman View Post
Me too!

I have owned a P600,OB-8 and JP-6. The OB-8 is bigger, more detuney and smoother sounding than the P600 but the extra features on P600 e.g. polymod, proper mixer controls, better modulation,and lower price gives it the edge. And then you add in the Gligli upgrade - resolves pot resolution issues, extra LFO shapes, improved envelope speed and exponential envelope shapes and it's a no brainer - P600 all the way. The P600 also has far the best filter of the three.

Jupiter 6 is massively overpriced. Looks nice, but sounds inferior to the P600 and OB-8. The JP-6 just doesn't have that vintage, organic, analogue sound, yes it still sounds analogue but not in a warm, pleasing way. The software envelopes only have a linear shape so you can't get classic synth bass sounds out of it and there's no filter FM like on the P600. Also, whilst the multimode filter is nice to have the filter itself doesn't sound all that great and the band pass mode is virtually unusable as it makes the output so quiet.
I disagree, If I decided to go vintage and get a board from the 76-84 era, it would be a J6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman View Post

I have a different point of view to you.

I'm very fortunate to have an ob8, jp6 and Juno 60. I like all of them and I like the jp6 precisely because it's a contrast. It's not either or, yet.

To Pro 5: Unfortunately I got made redundant as I was about to purchase the poly six with the kiwi mod so had to cancel my order. I would still very much like one.

I'm trying to hang on to things at the moment whilst being on a short term work contract and trying to find the money to pay for a kitchen and bathroom.

Having said that I've got a dominion 1 on order because I had some money saved and I'm not capable of not spending it on synths instead of a boring kitchen or bathroom..whoops.
Old 30th September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
I have a different point of view to you.

I'm very fortunate to have an ob8, jp6 and Juno 60. I like all of them and I like the jp6 precisely because it's a contrast. It's not either or, yet.
I agree the JP-6 does have its own sound and that probably is its stength and it undoubtedly sounds more different to the OB-8 than the P600 does. That said, if I only had a small set up and was looking for a workhorse '70s/'80s analogue synth then the JP-6 would not be my choice. I mean the JP-6 correnty sells for about ยฃ2000 and the P600 with Gligli is about ยฃ1000. It just makes no sense to buy a JP-6 in this circumstance unless you're a collector.
Old 27th December 2015
Well it came to pass that I ended up having to sell my OB8, the Juno 60, the JP-6 and the SH-101 in order to pay the mortgage and cover bills.

Every single one showed a 10% profit margin on them, even including servicing and I had the pleasure of their ownership.

I bought a Prophet 6, an MFB Dominion 1 and am waiting for an Avalon Bassline to arrive for acid duties. I still also have the A4 keys and a Vermona mono lancet.

Out of all of them I'd buy a JP-6 again, but the Prophet 6 is a really lovely thing to use so I'm currently enjoying the space in the studio and a more focussed set up.

Old 27th December 2015
Gear Maniac

imho these 3 synths are in different leagues. P08 is reliable and analog but can't comparable in terms of wet/punchy sound of Jupiter. I have P08 and without proper FX this synths is not so good. Even in comparison with Juno-106 (which its chorus, of course). Never played on P600 but if its sound like P5 - it will be interesting .
Old 27th December 2015
Here's a vid of a P600 with Gligli update doing pad sounds:

...and here's a great track by Firechild with P600 + Gligli

Old 29th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Update:

I think I prefer the 106 to the Juno 60 on reflection. I could live without the Juno 60 no problem but mine is like new so I dont want to part with it as I'd never find one in that condition again.
Another one! I don't know quite what it is but I felt exactly the same. I've had every juno and enjoyed them all for a while, then ultimately they become 'just a juno' and I get bored, sell it and buy something else.

This happened with my Juno 60 just like it had with my 6 and Alpha 1 and 2...

But when I got a 106? It all changed. There is something about the overall package of the 106 that just compels me to keep it. It feels nicer to use than the 60, it feels a more complete instrument, it's a touch more flexible in tone and is a machine I've come to love and appreciate, as simple as it may be. I think it's just the right packaging and feature set of the "juno" so makes it the best Juno, while the 60 had it's plus points (hard envs mainly) it didn't feel as good as 106, either to play or program/use in your tracks.

106 is always a useful synth in a studio!

-- just saw this a day after I made this post:

Frasier T Smith (producer of Kaiser chiefs, Adele (ugh), sam smith etc) saying the Juno 106 is his favourite hardware synth and he tried the 60 but found it too 'warm' so had to get rid (I'd not say it's too warm next to the 106 more that it is too juno, too samey, too obvious - while the 106 is as I said a lot more yielding/musical/flexible) - glad my findings are confirmed by someone with proven good ears.

https://youtu.be/xX6Rd1mOA2c?t=39m55s

for Juno talk jump to:

- 38:15 (+ talk of analog oscs)
- 39:45 (106 v 60)
- 57:45

Also talks about it a bit earlier but can't find that now..

Old 10th June 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Im really sorry to dig up such old topic but as OP mentioned that he likes deeper side of house why nobody said... JX3P!
๐Ÿ“ Reply