The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
GeneralMusic GEM S2/S3/S2r
Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
May I please get copies of those disks?? Pretty please??
Okay, I almost forgot this.

You can see the disks here: Index of /~patalus/new_stuff/Generalmusic S-serie

Uploading them all, but slowly. The collection is much bigger than I though, ~400mb!

Also, if I will get any reports about copyrights, I'll remove specific images if required.
Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogGuy View Post
Okay, I almost forgot this.

You can see the disks here: Index of /~patalus/new_stuff/Generalmusic S-serie

Uploading them all, but slowly. The collection is much bigger than I though, ~400mb!

Also, if I will get any reports about copyrights, I'll remove specific images if required.
Thank you so very much, AnalogGuy! I'll wait til it gets to "z"
Old 30th September 2013
Here for the gear

I joined the GEM Club and asked about parts myself. They sent me this. Artie Specht at [email protected] . "Artie still has some parts left and may be able to help you out." I also found this on line. Parts and Accessories for Generalmusic (GEM) Keyboards Hopefully one of them will have what you need!
Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you so very much, AnalogGuy! I'll wait til it gets to "z"
Is there something specific you're after for?
Old 30th September 2013
Here for the gear

Image Pro?

Does anyone out there have any experience with Image Pro? The GEM club gave me a link to it and I've downloaded some Equinox Sound Image files but I can't get it to find them. (I'm sure it's operator error!) If anyone can give me the Step by Step that would be awesome! Thanks!
Old 30th September 2013
Gear Nut

can you share the link so I can see what you are talking about? I'm not sure if the files you are talking about are standard Equinox programs or are new samples that you can load in the 2mb of sample ram area. I'd have to see the site to help you out.
Old 30th September 2013
Here for the gear

This is what they emailed me "You will need to download the ImagePro program from our site and follow the instructions provided in the user guide. Depending on the age of your computer (the older the better!), you may need to boot into DOS. XP and Vista have a number of security functions added which can cause ImagePro to not function correctly. Some additional help is provided in FAQ if required. Some members have used old laptops for this purpose as they have built in floppy drives and are perfectly suited." I uploaded it with this responce.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ImageProV3.zip (1.13 MB, 283 views)
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is there something specific you're after for?
I downloaded them all Thank you again very much!

Do you happen to know which files are the factory disks? My S2R came with the factory disk, but it's corrupt, so I'd love to know which the files were and I could do a "transplant" to a new disk

Thanks
Old 1st October 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfootjim View Post
I joined the GEM Club and asked about parts myself. They sent me this. Artie Specht at [email protected] . "Artie still has some parts left and may be able to help you out." I also found this on line. Parts and Accessories for Generalmusic (GEM) Keyboards Hopefully one of them will have what you need!
Hi, thanks so much for that info. Will make some inquiries.

Much appreciated, cheers!
Old 1st October 2013
Gear Nut

I couldn't tell much. Image pro would have to be loaded onto the PC to create a disk image file first, so I'm not sure what kind of files they are.

Artie Specht is the only one left at GEM. Artie is very good and I've corresponded with him many times. As a side note, he plays bass in a band called Smokin Gunz in the Chicago area.

Smokin Gunz Chicago
Old 5th October 2013
Here for the gear
GEM/Generalmusic info

Spent quite a bit of time playing, studying GEM S3T (turbo). currently keeping Equinox 76 and SK-76, very nice instruments, sold S3T. RE-battery problem with non-loading OS. Had same issue with S3T when purchased used. New battery, re-loaded OS from floppy, no dice. Only thing that restored it (try at your own risk!) apparently whatever jammed the OS was stored in circuitry even with battery removed. I "briefly" and I mean briefly shorted the two battery terminals with battery disconnected and keyboard plugged in but not powered on. This must have cleared whatever was scrambled and it worked from then on-still had to spin the dial while powering up initially to soft reset the OS but never had a problem after that. It sounds risky and it probably is, but i tried everything else-like a computer, I guess this is equivalent to a "hard reset" and when these batteries start to weaken, it must scramble and crash the OS and this scrambled code is stored (I am guessing) in whatever circuits will retain electric current-probably capacitors used in the chip's circuitry so a "soft" reset with the OS disk will not over-write the scrambled code in the OS. Hope this works for you, it was a last gasp try on my S3T and as beaten up as mine was, it worked perfectly.
Old 5th October 2013
Here for the gear
Adding to my previous post-sorry if I'm not posting correctly, new member. I'm posting here since I see this is one of the few boards that has user info for the GEM instruments including Equinox-I've saved a huge collection of Equinox sounds/samples on hard drive, have used Image Pro for making many disks on S3T which I sold with the S3T and for my SK-76 another killer instrument IMHO. Question-I have no recollection (did this years ago) of how to create a floppy for the Equinox-if someone can give me a quick refresher-i downloaded all these while in the GEMClub-each download is contained in a master folder with separate file subfolders for "sounds.all" with subfolders within that folder labelled "sounds" with a number and subfolders within that labelled "banks" and "samples"-I don't remember if I used Image Pro to create floppies for the Equinox, or if I can simply transfer this entire folder to an Equinox formatted disk? I also have a pretty big library again from the GEM Club of technical docs and manuals in pdf for the Equinox and SK-76 (with many disk images for that) if anyone here at Gearslutz needs these and is not in the GEMClub-I think it still is up and running and if so has alot of helpful stuff.
Old 5th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm old enough to have been gigging when these boards were out but they were never that prevalent in music stores so I never really got a chance to try them. They always intrigued me, though. If I remember the ads in my head correctly, at one time wasn't Keith Emerson a GEM endorser?

AnalogGuy - That poly demo sounded great. That board has such a nice hi-fi character.

Regards,
Frank
Old 5th October 2013
Here for the gear

I just joined GEM Club and it is still up and running. They are out of the office this week but promised to return my Email with the step by step on how to create an Equinox sound disk using ImagePro from sounds downloaded from their site. I will post them as soon as I get them.
Old 5th October 2013
Here for the gear
Yep, Keith Emerson did endorse these and thank you bigfootjim for checking. I seem to recall (was a few years ago) that I tried to simply transfer the files and folders as I got these from GEMClub directly to a formatted Equinox floppy but it didn't work. I also used a program called Teledisk for something-I think it also created S3T disks from image files I got from GEMClub. I have an old Gateway laptop with a built-in floppy drive and windows 98SE, which runs a full version of DOS and which I used to create all my S3T disks and a bunch for the SK-76. The SK is really rather nice, I'd read some of the developers for these were MIT engineers and it shows, good acoustic and electric pianos, loads samples easily and has a pretty firm keyboard for a non-hammer action instrument and has many of the S3T sounds like the Equinox, better large display, larger than S3T. Made with a steel case and frame although the endcaps are plastic and mine needed repair inside, not that hard to do if you're handy with a screwgun and "Bondo"!
Old 5th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
AnalogGuy - That poly demo sounded great. That board has such a nice hi-fi character.
Thanks, though the reverb is external.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
wasn't Keith Emerson a GEM endorser?
I think the most famous admirer and user of Generalmusic S -serie was Brian Eno.
Old 10th October 2013
Here for the gear
Old 10th October 2013
Here for the gear
As per this user group, got in touch with Artie Sprecht-he has SCSI boards and the audio/video input boards, but I think these are only for the SK76 and Equinox not the S3 although I think the S3 retrofits a SCSI. I am getting prices and will post if anyone here is interested.
Old 10th October 2013
Here for the gear

I'm interested! Thanks!
Old 10th October 2013
Lives for gear

Service day for my S3 turbo!

I'm no way an engineer, but because I had no options before, I started to clean my synths by my own. To my surprise, despite polyphonic aftertouch, Generalmusic S3 is incredibly easy to disassemble. Only needs unscrewing and unplugging ribbons and that's it.

Slow job, but I decided to do this all for once again. Opening up each key and cleaning all the dust away, then cleaning and lubing the metal contacts of the keyboard mechanism because the velocity seems to be sometimes uneven from key to key.
Attached Thumbnails
GeneralMusic GEM S2/S3/S2r-kuva002.jpg  
Old 10th October 2013
Here for the gear

Hiya.. i just bought a Gem S3 Turbo.. sadly without ramdisk.. do you guys know if the chips are standard memory chips or something special witch is impossible to find?

i'll guess i'll open it up tomorrow to see the status on the nicad battery.. according to the guy i bought if from it hasn't been changed

is it possible to store sounds via sysex? i'd like to use some linux librarian.
Old 11th October 2013
Here for the gear

BTW

Rob.. you still watching this thread?.

a saw in another forum that you were trying to get a floppy emulator working on the s3.. how did it go?
Old 11th October 2013
Here for the gear
Artie got back to me with prices-79.00 for scsi boards-not sure if this is also for s2 s3. Audio/video option is 100.00 but this is only for the sk series I think (adds audio/vocal processing input directly to effects in the keyboards). I believe the S3 needed a special memory chip to make it into the turbo with the ramdisk option, mine had it and it was nice to have. I don't know if Artie has these turbo upgrade kits which also required a full piggyback type of circuitboard that plugged into the mainboard and was attached to it, the chip was part of the turbo board. There were special chips that upgraded the other GEM keyboards from 2MB to 8MB for the OS for Equinoxes, WKs and SKs, but Artie says these are no longer being manufactured and he has none. If your GEM keyboard had the hard drive already installed, the 8MB chip came with it. I put my own 2GB hard drives in the SK and Equinox which work, but never could get the 8MB dedicated ROM chips no matter where I looked.
Old 11th October 2013
Here for the gear

i found this image of the memory chips http://www.deepsonic.ch/deep/pix/gem_s3_turbo_13.jpg

on this page GEM S3 Turbo Generalmusic S2 S3 S2R Turbo Memory Expansion @ deep!sonic

i found this site i guess these are the right chips but i have asked the guy if he installed them since i saw pictures on his site without these chips.

i do have the turbo card installed.. just no ramdisk.
Old 11th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quite surprising to see from deepsonic's S3 keyboard that it's GEM labeled at the rear, whereas mine is Generalmusic. When they changed the name? And in the middle of production???
Old 11th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Quite surprising to see from deepsonic's S3 keyboard that it's GEM labeled at the rear, whereas mine is Generalmusic. When they changed the name? And in the middle of production???
I guess they should have changed the name to 'oops'

" .. On February 2009 Generalmusic fired all workers then immediately filed for bankruptcy which has been declared in 2011.."
Old 11th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaware dave View Post
I guess they should have changed the name to 'oops'

" .. On February 2009 Generalmusic fired all workers then immediately filed for bankruptcy which has been declared in 2011.."
Yeah.. things in Italy - as all over Europe - are not going very well right now. There is a heartbreaking video on YouTube of a guy going in the Gem factory and you can still see many of the things that were inside, including old schematics from the '60s which is a crime to leave there imho - and lots of parts, tools, electronic components etc.

It's in Italian but I think the images speak for themselves. The guy (who's a real character) mentions that criminal gangs had already broken into it a few weeks before he went in and they had stolen most of the equipment saved there.... heartbreaking really for me being Italian that a factory with such a historical value ended up like this.

The title of the youtube reads "Generalmusic GEM failed after 40 years of success"

Old 11th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah.. things in Italy - as all over Europe - are not going very well right now. There is a heartbreaking video on YouTube of a guy going in the Gem factory and you can still see many of the things that were inside, including old schematics from the '60s which is a crime to leave there imho - and lots of parts, tools, electronic components etc.

It's in Italian but I think the images speak for themselves. The guy (who's a real character) mentions that criminal gangs had already broken into it a few weeks before he went in and they had stolen most of the equipment saved there.... heartbreaking really for me being Italian that a factory with such a historical value ended up like this.

The title of the youtube reads "Generalmusic GEM failed after 40 years of success"
That's indeed very heart breaking. Couldn't watch more than couple minutes.

Btw, did you know that some finnish company bought the rights and name from Generalmusic??? Perhaps I should visit them and give some ideas

Although it seems they might end up doing only digital pianos...
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's indeed very heart breaking. Couldn't watch more than couple minutes.

Btw, did you know that some finnish company bought the rights and name from Generalmusic??? Perhaps I should visit them and give some ideas

Although it seems they might end up doing only digital pianos...
Oh, I didn't know.. sure, you should tell them to make synths again If they are set on only making pianos, the Generalmusic RealPiano technology was very good so if they improve on it it could be a success...
Old 12th October 2013
Here for the gear
Just a "few" comments after watching this entire video (yes I have too much time on my hands now). I can't speak Italian but I learned one phrase-"qui disastro" he said. This is obscene and sad. Whatever anybody thinks of US business models, whew this is awful. What kind of laws are in Italy, where this huge corporation could be savaged by criminals like this? Wouldn't this have gone into receivership, protected by their creditors to recoup whatever inventory they could? The building must have cost millions. And if this was left behind, what did the criminals get? And where is it? There must be a million or two in inventory left behind! End panels for an S2-S3, whole keyboard assemblies, cases, endless circuitboards and even some test equipment-scopes alone are worth a few thousand bucks. Bins and bins of electronic components, this is unbelievable. I'd be interested in this guy's eBay and Craigslist ID (if he knew what was good for him he's hire a dump truck and get the rest of this stuff out of there ASAP and start his own after-market company IMO) and I'd keep my eyes open on the European eBay sites, I'll bet there will be quite a bit of mysterious GEM stuff appearing real soon, although most of it probably ended up in Russia and China for the black market. Finally, anybody want to sponsor a junket to Italy? Would be hard to get through customs I guess!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search