The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Polyphonic Analog Synths ?
Old 10th August 2006
Gear Addict

Polyphonic Analog Synths ?

I wanna track down a good modern polyphonic analog synth at a reasonable price. Can anyone recommend any ? (Heard Andromeda loses out on bass, Sunsyn has too many os faults etc..)
Old 10th August 2006
Gear Addict

Dave Smith Poly Evolver
Old 10th August 2006
Lives for gear

Well if you're considering a Sunsyn, which is up in the 3k price range, I'd suggest a Omega 8 by Studio Electronics. Why not seek out a Jupiter 8 if your going for these.
Old 10th August 2006
Studio Electronics Omega 8. Biggest sound around, awesome filters (including expansion options) and a very stable OS.

Jules
Old 10th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by insect1 View Post
(Heard Andromeda loses out on bass....
My Andromeda kicks ass on bass!!! As i also have MKS 80+MPG8, Jupiter 6, Arp 2600, System 100 m, TB 303, korg MS 10-MS20, marion MSR2................and 10 more analog synths i think i have a good knowledge about bass qualities in analog synths. My 2c....
Old 10th August 2006
Gear Addict

Andromeda is the one.

It does SO MUCH, you'd be laughing at the "loses out on bass" comment if you had one! It does bass VERY well, thank you.

(FWIW - I have owned MANY MANY of the world's best synths, and I'd say the Andromeda is one of the top 5 EVER made. And the others aren't poly's!)

Brian Kehew
Old 10th August 2006
Gear Addict

The Omega 8 DOES sound very good, but mainly stays in the 1980s polysynth territory, as the routing is not as flexible as the Andromeda. "Horses for courses" - get the one that suits what you need....
Old 10th August 2006
Lives for gear

I agree completely!!!Top 5 for me also.....
Old 11th August 2006
Lives for gear

the andromeda is cool if you wanna really deep poly thats not instantly gratifying. the memorymoog is still king of power and instant gratification!
Old 11th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reza View Post
Dave Smith Poly Evolver

I would highly recommend the Poly Evolver, however it dosent fit very well if thats your only synth in the studio, its sounds very diffrent from others, maybe becouse its 2 analog engines and 2 digital, Distortion & Hi Pass filter are one of a kind.

the Omega 8 is a killer however big $$$ ... most of my sounds comes out from those synths, the Waldorf Q+ that i recently got is the biggest of them all but its virtual analog w\ analog filters, for full analog MemoryMoog is no 1 ... hope thats helps abit.
Old 13th August 2006
Lives for gear

Let me know if you want to sell your Q+ heh
Old 14th August 2006
Lives for gear

i was just responding to a similar thread elsewhere,

omega 8 probably does have thicker tone then andromeda, but A6 is no slouch.
also, its mod department is much more advanced than most other analog polys.
Old 14th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Let me know if you want to sell your Q+ heh
i rather sell my left nut then my Q+ but theres one for sale on ebay US now but if you want to get a better price Waldorf makes them on special order, give them a call to germany, 4 weeks and you have a brand new Q+ ....
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, that Q+ on ebay right now is ridiculously priced. Did you see how he has it standing? On the side of a TALL bar chair. Good luck to him keeping it in shape.

I look forward to the day I get to try one of these out
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

I love the Omega 8. It may not offer "cutting edge" ways of sub synthesis, but for classic analog hugeness its the king. I've got some roland303 and Arp filters on it too...only after using them you realize that the character of a true analog synth lies 90% in its filters...

Its also a breeze to program...not the case with a lot of synths IMO.

Be careful though...presets suck...if you don't plan to sound design yourself it would be a waste of $$$....
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Yeah, that Q+ on ebay right now is ridiculously priced. Did you see how he has it standing? On the side of a TALL bar chair. Good luck to him keeping it in shape.

I look forward to the day I get to try one of these out

yea, like i sad, its mazing instrument, try Waldorf in germany their phone # is on the website.
and dont worry for the Q+ on ebay, there allways be somone that will buy, i remember that i saw TB303 that sold for around $2200 ( !!! ) and without any upgrades or mods.

Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageanaloguse View Post
I'd recomend DS Prophet 08 for contempory sounds
I suspect he's sorted out his poly analog kit at some point in the last 6 years.
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSooner View Post
I suspect he's sorted out his poly analog kit at some point in the last 6 years.
Necro of the week award

Sent from my iPad HD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search