The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha Dx7 (240€) or DX7 II FD (350€) wich one should i buy?
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Head

Yamaha Dx7 (240€) or DX7 II FD (350€) wich one should i buy?

Hi! there!

the tittle describes everything i don't know which one to buy a Yamaha Dx7 with all extra sounds (Voice Rom cartridge) for 240€ or the Yamaha Dx7 IIFD for 350€, both in really good condition, and i will buy it this afternoon.

Please help! heh

Cheers,
Carl.
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Head

My main propose is to use it to make Classic House.
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

the old one
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Nut

In my opinion, go for the Dx7 IIFD.
Old 5th February 2013
Wow everyone is on a DX7 kick lately.

Ironic, analog makes a comeback and now so does FM.

Anyway having owned DX7 original DX7IID DX7IIFD without a doubt ....DX7IIFD.

Reasons are, original is mono (not necessarily a bad thing), the LCD is harder to edit because there is less characters, DX7IIFD does dual layer patches, unison. And more I am forgetting. There was already a thread recently on all this if you "do a search". Literally like a week a go a thread was going, no joke. No seriously do a search this was discussed with all the reasons.

The original does sound very slightly more gritty though.

If you use a software editor then the LCD doesn't matter.
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
Wow everyone is on a DX7 kick lately.

Ironic, analog makes a comeback and now so does FM.

Anyway having owned DX7 original DX7IID DX7IIFD without a doubt ....DX7IIFD.

Reasons are, original is mono (not necessarily a bad thing), the LCD is harder to edit because there is less characters, DX7IIFD does dual layer patches, unison. And more I am forgetting. There was already a thread recently on all this if you "do a search". Literally like a week a go a thread was going, no joke. No seriously do a search this was discussed with all the reasons.

If you use a software editor then the LCD doesn't matter.

Thanks for the help

yes i was checking that thread, but my doubt is wich one would be better for the 100€ difference on the price?

There is people on that threads that say FM8 (Native Instruments) will do the same but i don't believe, you that has owned all 3 are the right one to tell me which one to choose right.

I think i will go for the DX7 II FD
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Guru

240 is slightly expensive for a I, 350 is going rate for a IIFD.

IIFD does some things the I could never do - heavenly unison patches. Forget old cartridge compatibility; on the other hand, almost all cartridges have been dumped already anyway.
Old 5th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRoda View Post
Thanks for the help

yes i was checking that thread, but my doubt is wich one would be better for the 100€ difference on the price?

There is people on that threads that say FM8 (Native Instruments) will do the same but i don't believe, you that has owned all 3 are the right one to tell me which one to choose right.

I think i will go for the DX7 II FD
Cool, I see your reason then for the new post.

Yeah for some reason too people are selling the original for quite a bit right now on Craigslist and ebay, but in my opinion not worth that. The IIFD usually goes for 300 to 350. Don't let someone sell it to you for more than that. You can usually find them in good condition. I do see right now there are not a lot selling locally for some reason. I remember a year ago there were a ton of them up for sale.

Make sure to test ALL the buttons by pressing them down and making sure non of them require a really hard push. As usual test the all the keys and both outputs. Other than that they are built like tank. They really are.

I'd say if you're hardcore old school then the original makes sense, but other than that nothing else on it is really worth it.

People also rave about the rack versions, I've never owned them but I know lots of people love them.
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
240 is slightly expensive for a I, 350 is going rate for a IIFD.

IIFD does some things the I could never do - heavenly unison patches. Forget old cartridge compatibility; on the other hand, almost all cartridges have been dumped already anyway.
The I the will give it to me with an extra 10 cartridges, i don't know if this is expensive..

I know it is expensive the thing that i hate is that in USA you buy this DX7 for 75$ or DX7 II for 150$ and here 4 times that price, and shipment doesn't make sense because is too expensive
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

what is very slightly more gritty? you mean it sounds way sexier than the rather naked cheapo digital sounding dx7II?

if you want clean fm go for the SY99 that one sounds expensive clean..-.

So either the original or the end of the evolution highend version..everything inbetween is a compromize..

the very best is the highend version of the original tx816
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
The I the will give it to me with an extra 10 cartridges, i don't know if this is expensive..

I know it is expensive the thing that i hate is that in USA you buy this DXY for 75$ or DX7 II for 150$ and here 4 times that price, and shipment doesn't make sense because is too expensive
10 cartidges are a value of at least 100.-.. when they come in the original box maybe up to 200.-

so 240.- is not such a bad price.. try to get it for 200 and maybe end at 220.-?
Old 5th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult View Post
what is very slightly more gritty? you mean it sounds way sexier than the rather naked cheapo digital sounding dx7II?

So either the original or the end of the evolution highend version..everything inbetween is a compromize..

Yeah, I know a lot of people like the tx816.

The gritty sound of the DX7 original in comparison to the DX7IID / IIFD isn't that significant, though that might be subjective to a certain point. It's so slight, that is the reason I recommend the DX7IIFD.

As for the rack recommendation I threw that in but the original poster didn't ask for a rack recom, so it's a light recommendation.
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
10 cartidges are a value of at least 100.-.. when they come in the original box maybe up to 200.-

so 240.- is not such a bad price.. try to get it for 200 and maybe end at 220.-?
The price is not possible to move it down as i already did... but if those cartridges are valued so high maybe is a the DX7 is a winning choice?

Pd: i went to late to buy all these vintage gear... when i started buying all the soft and virtual synths 8 years ago they cost 10times less!
Old 5th February 2013
Cartridges for for 25.00-80.00 average each, depending on the cartridge. Doesn't matter though online you can download a ton of patches. For reasons of their own people still like to buy the cartridges.

my scale is
DX7 original good / perfect condition 150-250 (they can go for 250 to 300 or more but not worth that much in my opinion)
DX7IID good / perfect condition 200-250
DX7IIFD good / perfect condition 280-350

Crappy condition 100-200

I bought an original 1 year and a half ago for 150 in ok condition.
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

DX7-IIFD unless you like the noisier outputs of an original DX-7 and the more limited feature set.
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Cartridges for for 25.00-80.00 average each, depending on the cartridge. Doesn't matter though online you can download a ton of patches. For reasons of their own people still like to buy the cartridges.

my scale is
DX7 original good / perfect condition 150-250 (they can go for 250 to 300 or more but not worth that much in my opinion)
DX7IID good / perfect condition 200-250
DX7IIFD good / perfect condition 280-350

Crappy condition 100-200

I bought an original 1 year and a half ago for 150 in ok condition.
yeah with what u're telling me if i buy dx7 for 240€ is expensive , but if each cart is worth 25€ i can sell all 10 for 250 and have my dx7 for free right?
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Why not buy both then? :p
Old 5th February 2013
Quote:
yeah with what u're telling me if i buy dx7 for 240€ is expensive , but if each cart is worth 25€ i can sell all 10 for 250 and have my dx7 for free right?
Yeah but important points to be made.

1) you can gain back your value with the cartridges but.. it takes a lot of effort to sell and you might lose out. With the time it takes and if you sell on ebay they take 9 % cut. If you sell locally it still costs your time to you to sell. Also there is a chance some might sell for less than their value. Always a risk. Sometimes there are slumps where you'll get nothing but lowballers. We are in a lowballer slump right now, I can tell you that for sure.

2) You'll still have a DX7 original but as our points were made earlier it's more worth it to own the IIFD. Buy it once and be done with it.

3) As someone who's owned and sold many synths over the years you gain some money on sales and you lose some.

4) depends on the cartridges and the condition of them.

5) In the long run it pays to buy what your exactly looking for and not to settle for close or less. I've learned this many times.
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear
MK2 all the way. Even a DX7s is much better than a MK1. Sound differences are so minor, but 'clean output', backlit screen, unison mode and better buttons/better menus are much more important in day to day use.

Have had 4 DX7 Mk2s (3 'S' and 1 'II-D') - personally i'd advise an SY77 which CAN sound just like a DX7 II if programmed right (and I've done this myself to prove it TO myself). But a DX7 is cool regardless.
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Take that original DX7 with the 10 cartridges already!
Don't lose more time asking!
The DX7 mkII is very nice, but the really "cult" one is the original.

I plan to buy the II as soon as I find one in perfect condition, as I have a soft spot for anything FM. I already have a ton of FM synths, but I still think on the original there is a "vibe" about it. And it has the best looks of course!
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Here we go again...
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi! there!

the tittle describes everything i don't know which one to buy a Yamaha Dx7 with all extra sounds (Voice Rom cartridge) for 240€ or the Yamaha Dx7 IIFD for 350€, both in really good condition, and i will buy it this afternoon.

Please help! heh

Cheers,
Carl.
Do you really need the keybed?
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Head

Well finally i bought it for 225€ the DX7 + 10 Cart + Keyboard stand, which is 130€ cheaper than the DX7 IIFD and i think is a good deal, i was confused and going for the IIFD, but to be honest the human factor made me go for DX7 because this guy was a real musician and he knew what he was talking about and has convinced me :D

I know i will be happy with this synth and it's sound

Thanks a lot for the help, even if everyone pointed (90%) to the DX7 IIFD and finally i went for the DX7 xD
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well finally i bought it for 225€ the DX7 + 10 Cart + Keyboard stand, which is 130€ cheaper than the DX7 IIFD and i think is a good deal, i was confused and going for the IIFD, but to be honest the human factor made me go for DX7 because this guy was a real musician and he knew what he was talking about and has convinced me :D

I know i will be happy with this synth and it's sound

Thanks a lot for the help, even if everyone pointed (90%) to the DX7 IIFD and finally i went for the DX7 xD
Seriously what I would now do is sell all those carts and the MK1, buy a MK2 - a DX7s is a fine upgrade from a MK1 even! and you'll still have lots of profit. No reason not to be up on the deal? Mk2 is just a better synth, sorry, it really is - if you had a choice and it's basically now 'free' from the profit you could make from the 10 carts etc?

The backlit screen alone is worth it, before we even get to the better buttons, better menus, better (Cleaner) sound and better features (and imo it LOOKS better too but then i'm not a retro fetishist, i like things that look techy not old for the sake of it)

Either way - you've now got a great FM synth so enjoy it. Next stop - SY77!
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

The original DX7 is the prettiest looking anyway

If you ever need another FM synth try a SY77, end of the FM synths and very warm.
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Oh PS I bought a backlit screen for the original cheaply on eBay, quite easy to install
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
Seriously what I would now do is sell all those carts and the MK1, buy a MK2 - a DX7s is a fine upgrade from a MK1 even! and you'll still have lots of profit. No reason not to be up on the deal? Mk2 is just a better synth, sorry, it really is - if you had a choice and it's basically now 'free' from the profit you could make from the 10 carts etc?

The backlit screen alone is worth it, before we even get to the better buttons, better menus, better (Cleaner) sound and better features (and imo it LOOKS better too but then i'm not a retro fetishist, i like things that look techy not old for the sake of it)

Different strokes I most definately am a retro fetishist and also think the DX7II is the ugliest thing ever (along with the DW8000) but they're all great sounding synths

Curious we agree on the SY77, do you like it's looks? I do
Old 6th February 2013
Editing on the LCD... not so pretty.
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post

Totally agree i guess i will put all this cart's on Ebay and when the profit is done i will upgrade it for free to the DX7 IIFD heh

SY77 Highly recommended ???

I want a Roland Juno 60 / 106 this is my next target, which is quite hard for a reasonable price (around 400€/500€), i found some of them but the extra shipping cost from USA makes it up to 800€...
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Oh PS I bought a backlit screen for the original cheaply on eBay, quite easy to install
which one did you choose, green or blue?
Yamaha Dx7 (240€) or DX7 II FD (350€) wich one should i buy?backlit dx7, Instrumentos Musicales y en eBay.es
📝 Reply