The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
E-mu Ultra Proteus cards sysex dumps
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
E-mu Ultra Proteus cards sysex dumps

I recently got hold of a E-mu Ultra Proteus (the bigger brother of the Morpheus) and found that there were 6 ROM cards made for this synth:

9211 Proteus 1, 2, 3
9212 Expressive Orchestra
9213 Real World
9214 Dance/Techno
9215 General MIDI
9216 Trance Track

The now defunct web site emulatorarchive.com used to have sysex dumps of all 6 cards available for download, unfortuantely that web site seems gone for good and the waybackmachine doesn't have the sysex dumps archived.

Does anybody have the sysex dumps of some or all of the above cards?

If yes I would much appreciate it if you could send me a copy.
If others are interested I could also make them available on my web site.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Fantastic synth.

I am definitely interested if anyone has these.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
emulatorarchive.com is now theemus.com
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewingstuff View Post
emulatorarchive.com is now theemus.com
Thanks, but that site seems to be only about the E-mu samplers, not at all about the Proteus range, at least I can't find anything about the UltraProteus on there.
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I still haven't located any sysex dumps of the Ultraproteus cards, but I did find sysex dumps of the Morpheus cards for anyone interested:

Index of /SynthGearDocs/E-Mu/Manuals/Morpheus

These appear to be only Preset dumps from the 4 Morpheus cards, the dumps don't contain Hypers so they aren't complete dumps of the cards, but I guess it's still better than nothing.
Old 22nd March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I can't believe nobody has any of these Ultraproteus cards?!
Old 22nd March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rare synth and the cards are even more rare. They're just patches though right? No new sounds of waveforms or anything, right?

Can the morpheus ones be loaded into the Ultra?

Very cool synth and got mine locally mint for only $100. Very cool for techno, IDMish type stuff.
Old 22nd March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
Rare synth and the cards are even more rare. They're just patches though right? No new sounds of waveforms or anything, right?
Correct, they are just patches that can be saved as a sysex dump via MIDI, and that's what I'm looking for, complete sysex dumps of the cards.

Quote:
Can the morpheus ones be loaded into the Ultra?
They can be loaded but they don't play (I tried it) as the Morpheus has different waveforms in it's ROM.

Quote:
Very cool synth and got mine locally mint for only $100. Very cool for techno, IDMish type stuff.
Same here, paid about $110 a few months ago and love it, it's a real programmers synth, the presets are nothing special, but the potential of the synth engine is great.

I bought this bank of patches for the ultraproteus and was very pleased by quite a few of them, IMHO it's well worth the 10 bucks:
http://www.metascapemedia.com/metast...ency=price.USD
Old 24th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
BTW, (this is slightly off topic but might be interesting to fellow UltraProteus owners as well) I discovered and tried out MorphEdit yesterday, it's a really neat editor for the Morpheus and UltraProteus and to top it off it's free!

It's available here (both binaries and source code) for Windows:
http://www.nancarrow.com/morphedit/

I have tested it under Linux using 'wine' (Windows compatibility layer) and it works great even on Linux.

IMHO, the only weakness of MorphEdit is that it doesn't import raw sysex dumps, it only loads and saves in it's own format (and it can export patches as MIDI files), but real time editing works great and the layout of the editor is clear and intuitive.
Old 26th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ok, since nobody is willing to publically share sysex dumps of their cards here, let's do it like this:

I got hold of a Dance/Techno 9214 ROM card for the UltraProteus, I will share the sysex dumps from this card with anyone who can provide me sysex dumps of one of the other UltraProteus cards.

PM me if you have a UltraProteus ROM card and want to swap sysex dumps.
Old 13th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Bump.

Are there no other UltraProteus cards owners around here?
Old 14th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't the cards also contain extra waveforms? Just the sysex patch data wouldn't do much good...
Old 14th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
Don't the cards also contain extra waveforms? Just the sysex patch data wouldn't do much good...
No, they don't contain any extra waveforms, only patch data.

Do you have any of the cards?
Old 14th July 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't have any cards. I was looking around for these as well. Couldn't find them. Did see a card on eBay, but it sold really high. Much more than the UP. I would be happy to share if something turns up.

What do you think of the 9214?

Also found my UP DACs seem to be out of calibration, or some such. Sounds pretty rough. From inspecting the PCB, it seems Emu didn't include a trim circuit. I figure I had better fix the synth first, before I buy patches for it.
Old 14th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
Couldn't find them. Did see a card on eBay, but it sold really high.
Yeah, on ebay they ask fantasy-prices for them, I got my card for a far more reasonable price (not on ebay).

Quote:
What do you think of the 9214?
I haven't had the time to play with it properly yet, but when I did a quick scan of the patches I noticed quite a few interesting ones.

Quote:
Also found my UP DACs seem to be out of calibration, or some such. Sounds pretty rough. From inspecting the PCB, it seems Emu didn't include a trim circuit. I figure I had better fix the synth first, before I buy patches for it.
Hmmm, I hope you don't have a leaked capacitor or something like that, I had similar symptoms on my Korg 05R/W a while ago and it turned out to be several leaked capacitors that had also already corroded traces on the circuit board.
Old 15th July 2013 | Show parent
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post
Yeah, on ebay they ask fantasy-prices for them, I got my card for a far more reasonable price (not on ebay).
I don't really have a strong market locally for things like this, so eBay is my main source. Seems the cards are not so common either.

Quote:
Hmmm, I hope you don't have a leaked capacitor or something like that, I had similar symptoms on my Korg 05R/W a while ago and it turned out to be several leaked capacitors that had also already corroded traces on the circuit board.
Thanks for that. My board is actually clean though. I can't see anything obviously failed. I hear grainy noise tails at the end of notes. That reminded me of the symptom for DAC calibration on the JD990. Also, when doing the diagnostics test, the tones played can be really harsh, like there is bad aliasing or possibly distortion. I guessed these should probably be simple sin waves. If they are aliasing or distorting, then I think that would point to some other cause, as I think the calibration is just for linearity. I haven't examined the waveforms yet, or done any further diagnostics.
Old 11th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ok, since nobody else helped me with this, I had to do it all by myself...

Here you go, sysex dumps of all 6 UltraProteus cards:
Index of /files/UltraProteus

That should help bring down fantasy asking prices of these cards on ebay... heh

Enjoy.
Old 11th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Get that hand off your forehead Homer.
Old 12th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks

tux99, nice one.

I may have some files somewhere for the UP , but Im away from base for a while.

You can load all the Morpheus cards & SySex files into the U.P., however they will be using the U.P. waves , so will sound different albeit often very interesting, but as you have noticed, sometimes there are no sounds there at all.
It is simply a matter of assigning 1 or 2 preset waves from the U.P. to get sounds when none are there , after loading Morpheus sounds into the U.P. or vice versa.

All the other modulations /patch data are there just often no preset waves!

One of my favourite synths. Very powerful.

Im a long time user & lover of an Ultraproteus .
Old 12th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectralwaves View Post
I may have some files somewhere for the UP , but Im away from base for a while.
That would be great if you could share them once you are back home.
If you don't have access to some public server space then just PM them to me and I'll add them to the 6 card dumps (of course only if they are freeware or no longer commercially available).

Quote:
You can load all the Morpheus cards & SySex files into the U.P., however they will be using the U.P. waves , so will sound different albeit often very interesting, but as you have noticed, sometimes there are no sounds there at all.
It is simply a matter of assigning 1 or 2 preset waves from the U.P. to get sounds when none are there , after loading Morpheus sounds into the U.P. or vice versa.
Interesting, I will have to experiment with that again sometime, as I do have a few Morpheus card dumps too (the ones I linked to earlier in this thread).
Old 21st April 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
It is unfortunate that there are so few usable patch locations on the Ultraproteus, and that there are so many extremely dull patches in the ROM section. I would have preferred everything to be RAM if they were only going to give us 256 patch locations. Otherwise, though, it is a cool synth.
Old 24th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suilebhain View Post
It is unfortunate that there are so few usable patch locations on the Ultraproteus,
You can buy a generic 256 KB SRAM PCMCIA card which gets you space for another 128 patch locations. I got one off ebay for under $10, it was for industrial use but works fine in the UP.
I think 512 KB cards (and possibly larger ones) work too but the extra space is not used by the UP.
Old 30th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ok, since nobody else helped me with this, I had to do it all by myself...

Here you go, sysex dumps of all 6 UltraProteus cards:
Index of /files/UltraProteus
Thank you for your very generous gesture.
Old 14th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You can buy a generic 256 KB SRAM PCMCIA card which gets you space for another 128 patch locations. I got one off ebay for under $10, it was for industrial use but works fine in the UP.
I think 512 KB cards (and possibly larger ones) work too but the extra space is not used by the UP.

old thread but speaking of PCMCIA cards, does anyone know if those PCMCIA to CF adaptor cards work in the Emu synths? I have a few old CF cards lying around of either 256mb or 512mb and giving them new life makes sense.
Old 14th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post
old thread but speaking of PCMCIA cards, does anyone know if those PCMCIA to CF adaptor cards work in the Emu synths?
I very much doubt so, CF cards have an ATA hard disk interface while SRAM cards are seen as blocks of random access memory, so they are addressed in a completely different way.
Old 26th July 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
SysEx dump problems

Hello tux99!

I would like to thank you for your previous excellent work on this topic...

Unfortunately, in my UltraProteus, after the SysEx dump procedure are loaded only not complete set of sounds.

For each card - (9211 Proteus 1, 2, 3.syx, 9212 Expressive Orchestra.syx, 9213 Real World.syx, 9214 Dance/Techno.syx, 9215 General MIDI.syx, 9216 Trance Track.syx)
they were new overwritten only presets number 00-11 and others following presets, and hyprerpresets, midimaps and others have been ignored. The standard presets (also number 00-11) are to be a 564 Bytes, ignored presets are but only about 191 Bytes. If the memory dump was saved as Raw SysEx in Cakewalk 9, maybe were some of the data lost.

I checked also with my memory dump - there was the same problem. In Raw SysEx format is probably not good to save UltraProteus memory dump.

Would not it be safer to record SysEx dump data to the Track of the Song and save it all as a midi-file?

Advantages: individual packages of data are recorded in the correct time intervals, there is no loss of any data.
When you play a midi-file is possible, if necessary, slow down the tempo during a SysEx dump operations.

SysEx dump of memory my UltraProteus as midi-file I send on request an e-mail.
Old 26th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_szarkan View Post
Unfortunately, in my UltraProteus, after the SysEx dump procedure are loaded only not complete set of sounds.

For each card - (9211 Proteus 1, 2, 3.syx, 9212 Expressive Orchestra.syx, 9213 Real World.syx, 9214 Dance/Techno.syx, 9215 General MIDI.syx, 9216 Trance Track.syx)
they were new overwritten only presets number 00-11 and others following presets, and hyprerpresets, midimaps and others have been ignored.
What program are you using to dump the sysex to the UltraProteus and what midi interface are you using?

The dumps work perfectly fine for me, that's why I suspect that you either have a midi issue or you are using some software that isn't working correctly.

Try using C6sysex from Elektron, that's a very simple but good sysex transfer program and make sure you use a reliable MIDI interface, the cheap nonname USB to MIDI cables available on ebay (and other places) don't work for large sysex dumps, they always corrupt the data.
Old 27th July 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi tux99!

I apologize for my panic, your SysEx files are perfectly ok.

My problem was with using an incorrect program (Cakewalk 9), from which I am sent the data out.

By your advice, I am was used for SysEx transfer program C6 1.51 from Elektron (is brilliant), all sounds (presets, hyper, midimaps and other) are every on their correct places.

Thank you for your very quick and professional help and I am going to play on the new sounds of my UltraProteus.
Old 27th July 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Speaking of hard to find cards/disks whatnot, I wish I could find the factory sound disks for my ESI sampler.
Old 3rd August 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Proteus/1 Sound Patches

If anyone is interested, while I was looking for Proteus/1 sysex data dumps, I found this awesome collection of 25 banks for the 064-127 user RAM presets. The factory RAM presets are also included.
πŸ“ Reply