The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
E-mu Ultra Proteus cards sysex dumps
Old 26th April 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post
You can buy a generic 256 KB SRAM PCMCIA card which gets you space for another 128 patch locations. I got one off ebay for under $10, it was for industrial use but works fine in the UP.
I think 512 KB cards (and possibly larger ones) work too but the extra space is not used by the UP.
Can you give us the brand and maybe the part number ?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierbzh View Post
Can you give us the brand and maybe the part number ?
Mine is a Fujitsu PCMCIA SRAM card, just like this one:
https://www.rgbautomatyka.pl/de/icmc...su-id7773.html

Gear Nut

Quote:
Mine is a Fujitsu PCMCIA SRAM card, just like this one:
https://www.rgbautomatyka.pl/de/icmc...su-id7773.html
Thanx
Old 14th June 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectralwaves View Post
It is simply a matter of assigning 1 or 2 preset waves from the U.P. to get sounds when none are there , after loading Morpheus sounds into the U.P. or vice versa.
Hi Spectralwaves, what does it mean? I don't understand how to do to get sounds form Morpheus SysEx into the UltraProteus.
Old 15th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pevets View Post
Hi Spectralwaves, what does it mean? I don't understand how to do to get sounds form Morpheus SysEx into the UltraProteus.
I dont even remember writing that .

What I probably meant was based on my own experience when I got a Morpheus Ram/ Rom card about a quarter of a century ago, that had Morpheus presets & I inserted that into my Ultraproteus .

Very few of the patches worked at all. ( because the Morpheus tone data was not there ,the card being in the Ultraproteus)

However I found that when I simply edited the blank patch tone numbers by assigning a preset tone from the Ultraproteus to the patch, ( in the first edit slots/tones 1 & 2) then it 'worked', as in all the other parameters were already there, so there were some really nice sounds with the Morpheus patch data onto the Ultraproteus tones (samples)

How to get Morpheus SysEx patches into the Ultraproteus ?

I have read that it can be done, but I cant see how though, to get them exact, without some work or conversion software, or the correct ROM samples on a card..I dont think that exists though.
The two different instruments have different sample sets, so I think the results would be similar to my results above.

Basically as you probably are aware the Morpheus has a much more synth/ synthetic sample set while the U.P. has much more real world/ orchestral instruments , but the synthesis & editing parameters are identical in both, with the U.P. having a larger sample set & much more filters.

The Ultraproteus though has plenty of raw synth waveforms/ samples in its tone bank , they are just not used in the preset patches unfortunately, but there is nothing to stop a dedicated sound designer to match the Morpheus patches more or less identically, with a fair amount of work..mainly just assigning the appropriate synth waves in the Ultraproteus to the patches after loading the Morpheus SysEx , I would say will get you close.

You could eg. just reprogram the U.P. using only synth waveforms .

Last edited by Spectralwaves; 15th June 2020 at 04:48 AM..
Old 19th June 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for your answer.
Old 26th June 2020
Here for the gear

hi gang - can anyone help with an RAM problem i'm having
i've tried both these cards :
Pretec Industrial 256Kb SRAM PCMCIA memory Card 16-Bit P/N S65256-E-16
Pretec Industrial 256Kb SRAM PCMCIA memory Card 8-Bit P/N S65256-E-8

and my UltraProteus says , after trying to format it, "CARD SIZE TOO BIG"

not sure what i'm doing wrong. i see users here and on FB groups are using 128KB AND 256KB cards - any tips?
Old 26th June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think the problem is that those cards have attribute memory, you need a 256kbyte 5V SRAM PC card without attribute memory.

From here: http://synthark.org/Archive/Emulator.../Morpheus.html
Quote:
E-mu sold a RAM card (part # 9210), which is obsolete. Pretec Sram Pretec still manufacture new RAM cards. You need a 256kbyte 5V SRAM PC card - without Attribute Memory. The Part Number is SN5256-P. The RAM card is a 256kbyte SRAM PCMCIA Type I card designed with a dual battery system. The primary battery is a replaceable but non rechargeable 3V lithium battery which lasts for 10 years. There is a second onboard rechargeable but non replaceable battery for data retention during primary battery change. This design allows replacement of the primary battery without data loss for approximately 20 minutes. There is a write protect switch on the SRAM card.
Old 21st November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I'm looking to get a Pretec SRAM card, but part "SN5256-P" appears to be discontinued. This part could support 8 and 16 bit transfer, but the new parts are specifically 8 or 16, so you have to order a specific version. Anyone know whether an 8 bit or 16 bit version is required?
Old 24th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Don't know about 8 or 16 bit but I just found the following site that seems to sell compatible SRAM cards, on their home page they even mention the Emu Ultraproteus among the supported devices:
http://vikant.com/
Quote:
Vikant PCMCIA SRAM PC Cards are compatible with the following equipment by manufacturer:
Emulator Ultra Proteus Synthesizer (keyboards)
This should be the suitable card (but maybe contact them first and explicitly ask about compatibility with the UltraProteus, just to be sure):
http://vikant.com/product/pcmcia-sra...eable-battery/

Please note that I have no experience with this seller so this is not a recommendation from me, I have no idea whether this is a genuine trustworthy business or maybe even a fake shop, so please do your due diligence.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Don't know about 8 or 16 bit but I just found the following site that seems to sell compatible SRAM cards, on their home page they even mention the Emu Ultraproteus among the supported devices:
http://vikant.com/

This should be the suitable card (but maybe contact them first and explicitly ask about compatibility with the UltraProteus, just to be sure):
http://vikant.com/product/pcmcia-sra...eable-battery/

Please note that I have no experience with this seller so this is not a recommendation from me, I have no idea whether this is a genuine trustworthy business or maybe even a fake shop, so please do your due diligence.
Hey, thanks for the recommendation. I've got an 8 bit card already ordered, I'll feedback here on whether it works. Cheers.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Update. The Pretec SRAM card I got for my UltraProteus was *not* compatible and gave a "Card Error! CardWrongSize" message when I tried to format it. The specs of the Pretec card are:

Storage: 256K
Attribute Storage: None
Bus Size: 8 bit
Part Numer: SN5256-I-08

The alternative part to this is bus size 16 bit, but no idea if that will work. I'm assuming the 16 bit part number is "SN5256-I-16".
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Like i said, I have no idea if the card needs to be 8 or 16 bit. Since 8 bit didn't work for you, then 16 bit should work, unless these new cards have something else that makes them incompatible.
Good luck and let us know in case you try alternatives.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

In the end, I didn't buy one. I use a librarian.

Xavier
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I can confirm now that my FUJITSU MB98A90921-20 card (which works fine in my UltraProteus) is 16 bit.

So cards need to be: 256 Kbyte, 16 bit, 5V, SRAM PCMCIA Type I, without Attribute Memory

Last edited by tux99; 5 days ago at 11:36 PM..
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

https://www.ebay.pl/itm/1pc-PCMCIA-C...oAAOSw9gRaE1l-

confirmed working. on my ultra proteus. from poland ebay. price is ok
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by redember View Post
https://www.ebay.pl/itm/1pc-PCMCIA-C...oAAOSw9gRaE1l-

confirmed working. on my ultra proteus. from poland ebay. price is ok
Hmm, but 128 KB should be too small according to specs, does the UP not complain about the size of the card and does it really fit a full bank of 128 presets and 128 hypers and 16 midimaps?
πŸ“ Reply