The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 30th July 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
Everytime I see a video of the MS-20 mini, I don't hear the noise everyone talks about (except when that video is about the noise). Are all videos sound edited to reduce noise? Or is it a problem that was common to the first ones and was later corrected or reduced? I'm really digging the sounds this thing can make, but the noise issues are making me back off.
The noise is there on any mini but really only shows its face at certain settings, don't be put off by it though as you forget it almost immediately, it's a cracking little synth and capable of some very smart noises
Lives for gear

Quote:
Everytime I see a video of the MS-20 mini, I don't hear the noise everyone talks about (except when that video is about the noise). Are all videos sound edited to reduce noise? Or is it a problem that was common to the first ones and was later corrected or reduced? I'm really digging the sounds this thing can make, but the noise issues are making me back off.
I've never looked into this noise issue but I've never come across unwanted noise whatsoever using it.
PES
Lives for gear

I think it’s an issue mostly to people who secretly wish they still made their music entirely ITB.
Old 31st July 2018
Lives for gear

When the mini first came out and there was all this ranting about the noise... I went looking for said noise. Guess what, I found it. After a period of time of feeling somewhat detached from it, I picked it back up and started trying to recreate some famous sounds and using it as an MS20 is used. Oddly enough... I never heard the noise again.

If you set out looking for problems, It's likely you'll find them (real or not).
Old 31st July 2018
tok
Lives for gear

re: ms20 mini noise

sure if you really turn the low pass filter down you are left with some noise on soft bassy sounds
nothing that EQ from a mixer can't eliminate
ultimately a non-issue
Old 31st July 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies y'all!

I guess the only problem about it is the build quality that varies from machine to machine. But the sounds it makes, I think it's just worth it.
Old 31st July 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:

I guess the only problem about it is the build quality that varies from machine to machine. But the sounds it makes, I think it's just worth it.
I didn't actually find the build quality to be as bad as people made it out to be either. My MS20M is definitely better quality than the mini I had but I didn't think the mini was horrible.
Old 31st July 2018
RiF
Lives for gear

I have heard the noise in the first few days after I got my unit, but did not even notice it anymore later.
stk
Gear Addict
Quote:
The noise is only really noticable when playing sounds without a lot of high frequency content (ie subby basses, filter rolled right down).
With more harmonically rich patches the hf content masks the noise.
Gear Guru

Quote:

my mini is faultless after more than 3 years of hard and sometimes dirty work, i know of a handful of others that are fine after abuse and torture - of course there are horrors stories out there too, i do find these horror stories sort of like Hansel and Gretel though and only you can decide if you buy into them by taking part yourself
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
I have heard the noise in the first few days after I got my unit, but did not even notice it anymore later.
exactly, play a triangle at low cutoff and yeah it is there, can't remember the last time i needed a patch like that though - if i did i would gate it, EQ or mask it another way - reverb , delay etc
Gear Guru

Quote:
But the sounds it makes, I think it's just worth it.
indeed it makes good sounds, here it is being a dirty little begger, i knocked this up for the crack this lunchtime while my baby had a sleep.

played in live, 90% ms20, filtering, processing, drums also but were supported with a 606 clap and open hat/cymbal

not a serious remix, just fun and very rough , the main ms20 line kicks in about 1.10

after doing this i am almost tempted to give this a proper whirl as i just found the 303 bassline riff which is filthy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
indeed it makes good sounds, here it is being a dirty little begger, i knocked this up for the crack this lunchtime while my baby had a sleep.

played in live, 90% ms20, filtering, processing, drums also but were supported with a 606 clap and open hat/cymbal

not a serious remix, just fun and very rough , the main ms20 line kicks in about 1.10

after doing this i am almost tempted to give this a proper whirl as i just found the 303 bassline riff which is filthy
Excellent.
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm really digging the sounds this thing can make, but the noise issues are making me back off.
The 'noise issue' is inherent in the design of the filter. Later versions of the Ms20 had a different filter which was less noisy. Some people prefer that. I prefer the original. A little bit of noise from a raw and funky analog synth is of zero concern to me, but it bothers some people. The bigger questions regarding the ms20 mini is IMO whether its reduced size bothers your, or if you feel that instruments should be built like tanks rather than good enough for the price point.
Old 1st August 2018
stk
Gear Addict
Just adding that I actually enjoy the noise. I use a lot of low-cutoff grimy bass sounds (the MS excels at these) and as far as I'm concerned it's part of the nature of the beast and a feature, not a bug. The MS is cranky analogue all the way.
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

I hear the noise mostly because I repaired an MS10 and the noise was really bad. I replaced failed components until it was working perfectly, but its just noisy.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hello everyone!

I have the same problem with the loudness of Noise Generator (Pink/White) and I would like to ask about these trimmers that I have in red circles in the attachment photo.
How do these work? I tried to turn some of these but I didn't hear something different. Is there some Technical/Service Book for the MS20 Mini?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
New Korg MS-20 Mini-korg-ms20-mini.jpg  
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcppp View Post
Does your MS-20xx have the MK1 filter?
No, It doesn't have.
📝 Reply