The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
VIRUS TI - really the ''best'' nowadays synth
Old 3rd April 2016 | Show parent
Deleted User
From the 27th of April, 2015!
That is practically yesterday.
What is the obsession people have with time.
Do something with space, don't worry about time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobaby View Post
This sub forum is experiencing a case of epidemic thread necromancy and I have no idea why...
Old 4th April 2016 | Show parent
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by keano View Post
Hoping someone can help me I have a Snow and downloaded some Mid patches. How do I load these using the Virus Controller in my DAW?
Access should really think about putting some sort of document together that outlines the setup & operation in full detail. Such a document would be extremely useful in cases like this. They could do two even. One for the synth and one for VC. How great would that be?
Old 4th April 2016
Lives for gear

I think you need a Virus and a nord a1 to really have the ultimate sound of synths these days.

On leads, nothing beats the nord, no aliasing, high freq sounds shimmer like analogs. not the case on the virus. So pair these two, is the ultimate. I say Virus snow ti, or ti + a1r and you are set.
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Regarding the Snow vs desktop

I figured out how to render audio in logic but is there an easier way? If I had the desktop version I would be able to give say 4 tracks there own audio track/bus and record all at one time right?

1. So in essence I bus virus 1 & 2 stereo out to an audio (bus 6). Arm the audio track and record.

2. Mute virus #1 in controller. Record #2 to another audio track (bus 6)

3. Record virus #3 to audio track 3 (bus 7).
4. Mute virus #3. Record virus channel 4 to audio track. (Bus 7)

By the way I changed the Snow from multi to sequencer and the process didn't change above. Should it?
Thanks!

Last edited by keano; 6th April 2016 at 03:31 PM..
Old 6th April 2016 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
I think you need a Virus and a nord a1 to really have the ultimate sound of synths these days.

On leads, nothing beats the nord, no aliasing, high freq sounds shimmer like analogs. not the case on the virus. So pair these two, is the ultimate. I say Virus snow ti, or ti + a1r and you are set.
I'm considering to get the nord a1.

Had a TI snow and sold it.

It has so many features. So deep synth.

But i suppose it is not the best synth for 80s analogue synth sounds.

And i found it is somewhat difficult to make 'cut-through' sound using virus

maybe it's because of it's inherent 'dark' sound character and high freq aliasing.

Most of all it's TI vsti didn't work well in my macbook(frequent sync error).
Old 7th April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelangeMode View Post
I'm considering to get the nord a1.

Had a TI snow and sold it.

It has so many features. So deep synth.

But i suppose it is not the best synth for 80s analogue synth sounds.

And i found it is somewhat difficult to make 'cut-through' sound using virus

maybe it's because of it's inherent 'dark' sound character and high freq aliasing.

Most of all it's TI vsti didn't work well in my macbook(frequent sync error).
I have an A1 and a Ti and yes, the Ti is often darker than the A1. It's easy to make the A1 cut through a mix without ever being harsh. If you are looking for a VA that does classic analog sounds then the A1 is a very good choice.
Old 7th April 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I have been looking to get a TI Snow for a long time, so this is not a good synth?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew242 View Post
I have been looking to get a TI Snow for a long time, so this is not a good synth?
It's good, but without having the controls it may not be as worth it as certain quality soft synths in this day and age.

Still sounds great though.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell View Post
It's good, but without having the controls it may not be as worth it as certain quality soft synths in this day and age.

Still sounds great though.
Ah, im not afraid to say that I like presets.. :-)
Just ask Vangelis on the CS80 ;-)
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyklane View Post
Well... I can rephrase for accuracy: Have you tried playing E8 on a Roland Alpha Juno... the clock signal interacts with the oscillator tone and mirrors so that as you play higher up the keyboard, you get sidebands that travel lower in pitch. it SOUNDS very similar to the aliasing that you'll hear in an unfiltered digital system (or a poorly implemented one!) when you sweep a signal above the Nyquist limit.

As I've not personally researched (i.e. done the math) this effect, I cannot say that it IS aliasing. However, the effect is sonically similar.

This evening, when I get home from work, I will post an audio example of this exact effect coming from my Alpha Juno. In practice, it makes no difference, since I don't generally play that high up on the keyboard. however, it DOES exist.

WAHAHA!!!

oh man this reminds of the time I had a guy come to my house to fix the fridge, and he was trying to tell me that AC stood for accelerating current, and DC stood for decelerating current.
Old 7th April 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
btw, the reason why there is no new virus, is cause the guy who developed it, is too busy with his Kemper amplifier product, which has consumed most of his time of late. luckily for him kemper makes more money that the virus.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Joking?

The thing is that "decelerating current" doesn't exist and even sounds dumb....I was making a real point with merit. I'm not butt-hurt, and can take a little razzing, but don't understand the point of your post yet. Help me out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thales View Post
WAHAHA!!!

oh man this reminds of the time I had a guy come to my house to fix the fridge, and he was trying to tell me that AC stood for accelerating current, and DC stood for decelerating current.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thales View Post
btw, the reason why there is no new virus, is cause the guy who developed it, is too busy with his Kemper amplifier product, which has consumed most of his time of late. luckily for him kemper makes more money that the virus.
Also, besides the USB1, I don't see any VA that has surpassed this synth. The Nords are on the same level, slightly less powerful, still. Possibly the Solaris, but that's a different $$$ range anyway.
Old 27th April 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I think the Virus is a great synth! Here's a track of mine using only Virus Polar with Bitwig drums: https://soundcloud.com/the-pa-system/spirit-guide
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Sanchez View Post
I think the Virus is a great synth! Here's a track of mine using only Virus Polar with Bitwig drums: https://soundcloud.com/the-pa-system/spirit-guide
I Like this one...Great Job...Drums are sooo Newage sounding.....I can work with this..Awesome
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks Rhampton. Glad you like it!
Old 27th April 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I like Mellow Popish Newage Grooves like this...i can listen to over and over...My 3rd time around...i can browse the Web and just Chill over music like this...Let's hear more....What's your Influence...
Old 27th April 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
*wrong thread*

Last edited by d7791; 27th April 2016 at 11:13 AM..
Old 28th April 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by d7791 View Post
*wrong thread*
Access Virus right?
Old 28th April 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Does anyone have an audio sample of the aliasing? I've been trying to look around but haven't found any. Wanna know how bad it is before buying.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ah, im not afraid to say that I like presets.. :-)
Just ask Vangelis on the CS80 ;-)
as long as you have a modulation wheel
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws View Post
Does anyone have an audio sample of the aliasing? I've been trying to look around but haven't found any. Wanna know how bad it is before buying.
I honestly don't think it's as big of an issue as some make it out to be. On the other hand, I don't play notes which are that high because dogs and bats don't really listen to Soundcloud.

Does any "normal" person ever really notice the effects of aliasing in modern music anyways? It's sort of like patrons at a Chinese restaurant insisting they can actually taste the MSG when it's used in infinitesimal amounts. Most current digital instruments from the past ~10+ years are capable of masking it pretty well.
Old 28th April 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Aliasing `problem' is just a myth spread by prospective Virus buyers, hoping to drive the price down

Its a brilliant synth, with a tasteful, subdued sound, rather than bright, harsh 80's sounds. People after the 80's pop sound need to look at Nords or Alesis ion's (or analogs).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
Its a brilliant synth, with a tasteful, subdued sound, rather than bright, harsh 80's sounds. People after the 80's pop sound need to look at Nords or Alesis ion's (or analogs).
I have to agree with you. If you're looking for VA's that are more closely aligned to the sound of vintage analog synths you can't beat a combo of Nord (earlier versions is where my hear lay) and Ion/Micron/Miniak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipkode View Post
I don't see any VA that has surpassed this synth. The Nords are on the same level, slightly less powerful, still.
Say that to the Nord Modular series
Old 10th April 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Here's some Virus pads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyNSs1gz3cs&t=12s
Old 14th October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I just got a Virus TI in a deal with a lot of gear and was thinking of selling it on, BUT..
It sounds excellent. I'm not a big fan of virtual synths usually, but this certainly sounds excellent to my ears.
The front panel is really where I get lost (and where I certainly prefer the simpler approach of one knob per parameter). Too much going on and I need to read the manual I think, but it sounds great.
Old 15th October 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
I just got a Virus TI in a deal with a lot of gear and was thinking of selling it on, BUT..
It sounds excellent. I'm not a big fan of virtual synths usually, but this certainly sounds excellent to my ears.
The front panel is really where I get lost (and where I certainly prefer the simpler approach of one knob per parameter). Too much going on and I need to read the manual I think, but it sounds great.
LONG TIME NO SEE!!!

TI menus are super shallow. Don't try to dive in or you'll break your neck.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
LONG TIME NO SEE!!!

TI menus are super shallow. Don't try to dive in or you'll break your neck.
👍😁
So I'll check it out. I just hate submenus. But if it is quite shallow, I'll give it a go.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
������������
So I'll check it out. I just hate submenus. But if it is quite shallow, I'll give it a go.
Nothing is more than a layer of menus away. The only part that's kind of tedious to edit is the modulation matrix, but I've only ever found one synth (Alesis Ion) that had a way of addressing the matrix that didn't make you want to pull your hair out.

My only real complaints with this synth is the lack of oscillator->filter FM, limited oscillator FM, and in spite of all the different ways to mess with the 'character' settings, it's still going to sound like a darkened Virus no matter what.
Old 16th October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Nothing is more than a layer of menus away. The only part that's kind of tedious to edit is the modulation matrix, but I've only ever found one synth (Alesis Ion) that had a way of addressing the matrix that didn't make you want to pull your hair out.

My only real complaints with this synth is the lack of oscillator->filter FM, limited oscillator FM, and in spite of all the different ways to mess with the 'character' settings, it's still going to sound like a darkened Virus no matter what.
Thanks for the info!
I really didn't like the first virus at all. This I will see if it stays after the honeymoon. It has an attractive darkness that I like, but as I don't really need, it will have to impress me some more
📝 Reply