The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Chorus pedal for synths....recommendations?
Old 7th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
Right now I've narrowed search down to the SRE330, Shiva's The Wave (they will sell to US but it's 1000 euros and I have yet to hear it with synths), or a RetroSonic Stereo Chorus (which is a CE clone).
The big units to get are:

The Wave
TERC
original TSC(too expensive but awesome)
TC 1210
Dim D(C is awesome for guitar instrument levels, not enough for line, have one in my Rack)
TC SCF pedal(awesome)
Roland RSP550
Roland SDX-330

Any one of those and you'll be doing great.....RSP550(have one in my rack) is a real sleeper, has many chorus algorithms including the Dimension Chorus...and can be found for VERY cheap(other effects algos in the unit are great too)...line level, stereo in/out.
Old 7th August 2017
Lives for gear

Hardwire/Digitech CR7 is tasty on my synths.
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

I havent heard much good stuff about the TERC and keyboards -- anyone actually try it?
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

i fully agree with the rsp550 recommendation. has many great fx but i would keep it just for the dim d algo. my favorite atm is the retrosonic chorus.
very interested in the triko, elkorus, jhaible, terc, shiva. but because they're either not available or too expensive i'll probably go with the lil'wave first i wonder how it compares to the retrosonic.
Old 8th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT View Post
Hardwire/Digitech CR7 is tasty on my synths.
It is my favorite chorus at the moment ... lots of options including 8 voice ...

The Nautila looks very interesting too ... I think Digitech do some amazing stuff ... reallying digging their CabDryVR (IR cab sim) and Supernatural reverb.
Old 8th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectrojape View Post
News just in from the man known as Uli B...

Looks like your prayers may be answered soon,

Wow!! I will be all over this like a tramp around hot chips ...

That new TC Behringer BBD stuff is rather good ... I don't see any reason why their Juno 60 chorus could not be the equal of the real thing ...

It would be nice if they raised their standards on components just a little to make this more attractive to the key market for this ... synth players.

Allow plenty of headroom please! And low noise resistors would be great ...

Done right, and this will be the pedal that EVERY synth player will want. Some analog juice for every tired old digital synth ... or for every synth. If done right.

They nearly got the Dimension right too ... would that be too much to ask? Or maybe one high end unit that could pull off both modes? They are both twin BBD stereo chorus after all ...
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Maniac

ok, i'm exactly in the right forum...

i have a CE-1 chorus ensemble that sounds amazing on the guitar, but i would like to use it with synths, like it has been designed for in the first place - a Leslie replacement.

However, if found no place for it yet, it does not sound as good when put for instance behind a synth, not even a digital one. It's sleeping there while i'm doing techno, don't know why i can't make it sound good ? Would you connect it serial, channel insert (loosing stereo?), AUX send and back to a stereo channel ? On what source ?

I could read from S.R.J.' gear listed on APHEX TWIN Syro album that he uses the CE-1 abundantly, and probably too on THE TUSS and other related stuff. So i really wonder on what source he puts it and in what way, if someone can hear it ?

I would really like it to serve both my guitar and electronic music needs. I'm sure it works properly and the gain is well balanced.

It should at least sound like a cheap Synthoma Elkorus, it's far from being the case - and certainly not a Leslie.

I also own the MZ-2 distortion/Delay/chorus by the same company, of course from a chorus point of view it's short.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

The CE-1 was never a Leslie emulator, and it was never designed to be one. The good thing with the CE-1 is that it will happily work with both guitars and synths. Just plug in your synth and toggle the high/low switch.
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Does anyone know, does the Boss RCE-10 (the little half-rack chorus) compare to the pedals ?
I heard the RRV-10 reverb is just a RV-2 in a box instead of a pedal format, so i'm wondering if the RCE-10 is also just one of the CE pedals put into a different box.

Would probably just go for the CE-300 if it weren't for the fact that those cute little half-racks fit perfectly on top of my synths :-)
Old 5th April 2018
Deleted User
Fulltone TERC rack chorus.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midicontrol View Post

i have a CE-1 chorus ensemble that sounds amazing on the guitar, but i would like to use it with synths, like it has been designed for in the first place - a Leslie replacement.

Phasers were designed to recreate leslie cabinets. Chorus was designed to make things sound thicker, like your instrument has extra strings or oscs or whatever.
There’s a bit of a hint in the names “phaser” and “chorus”.
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
Phasers were designed to recreate leslie cabinets. Chorus was designed to make things sound thicker, like your instrument has extra strings or oscs or whatever.
great to see that there's always a very cultivated person ready to intervene, but it does not answer my question at all. The CE1 is known for its faux-leslie tones and i really don't care if phasers get closer to the real thing.

My question was adressed to people who recorded the CE-1 in an electronic music context.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
I never took phaser and chorus to mean those things. Like any sensible person, I assumed the former was created by Scotty, and the latter was developed by The Church.
Old 5th April 2018
I'm currently working with several sources (that I worked out after starting this thread!)...depending on my needs it's either the Eventide H3000/H9, or the Strymon DECO (billed as a phaser, but can be set to larger delay times for a very nice chorus) and/or ElCapistan. The other equipment I'm using is a pair of ADA S1000 delays set to their "chorus" setting with slightly different LFO settings for each unit. Even though these are not all pedals, I've had to come up with solutions for a wide range of synths, and sometimes need more than one going all at once, since I often sequence MIDI in hardware. There are some really great options given here. The Behringer Juno Chorus (if it's out yet?) is something I would absolutely want to have....I've often wished I could run audio into my Juno for the chorus alone.
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
great to see that there's always a very cultivated person ready to intervene
Glad to be of service.

Quote:
but it does not answer my question at all. The CE1 is known for its faux-leslie tones and i really don't care if phasers get closer to the real thing.
I did not try to answer your questions at all. I was pointng out that the chorus wasn’t designed to emulate a leslie.

Quote:
My question was adressed to people who recorded the CE-1 in an electronic music context.
Your question was adressed to anyone reading. I’m absolutely certain that what I said won’t stop anyone else answering. Whats the problem ?
Old 15th April 2018
Quote:
ok, i'm exactly in the right forum...

However, if found no place for it yet, it does not sound as good when put for instance behind a synth, not even a digital one. It's sleeping there while i'm doing techno, don't know why i can't make it sound good ? Would you connect it serial, channel insert (loosing stereo?), AUX send and back to a stereo channel ? On what source ?

I could read from S.R.J.' gear listed on APHEX TWIN Syro album that he uses the CE-1 abundantly, and probably too on THE TUSS and other related stuff. So i really wonder on what source he puts it and in what way, if someone can hear it ?

I would really like it to serve both my guitar and electronic music needs. I'm sure it works properly and the gain is well balanced.

It should at least sound like a cheap Synthoma Elkorus, it's far from being the case - and certainly not a Leslie.

I also own the MZ-2 distortion/Delay/chorus by the same company, of course from a chorus point of view it's short.
TMK, the CE-1 distorts rather easily with a hot signal. Is this the problem you’re having when you say it doesn’t sound very good? Synthesizers are line level, unlike guitars, different inpedance with much hotter signal. You could try a re-amp pedal which helps with this. They go betwen $75-200 usually depending on features.

There is also a remake/clone, the Retro-Sonic Chorus pedal, which doesn’t appear to break up in the same way as the old CE-1. Also the Boss CE-2 Waza has a switch to go between vibrato, CE-1 chorus, and CE-2 chorus. Its a different chip, but its sounds better than I expected. Haven’t heard it on a synth yet though.
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
TMK, the CE-1 distorts rather easily with a hot signal. Is this the problem you’re having when you say it doesn’t sound very good?
Not at all, i adjust the "peak level" control knob like it's labelled, so that it merely blinks a bit.

Not that kind of sound, but a muddy, rounder, thicker, unprecise sound.
Yet, i am totally sure my unit works fine, as it shines so nicely on the guitar, making you smile.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

old thread, but I can't for the life of me find a demo of the TERC on synth. even contacted Fulltone and they didn't know of any either. can anyone who owns one do me (and a lot of other people here) a huge favor and upload a sample? really interested in this unit.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search