The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Help!!! I buy too many synths!!!
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Help!!! I buy too many synths!!!

Synth buying is an addiction. Help me! I just bought an Oberheim OB 8 and before it even arrived I was looking for more synths!!!
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

There is no cure.. More synths is just a fix.. Only holds you over so long :'(
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javd007 View Post
Synth buying is an addiction. Help me! I just bought an Oberheim OB 8 and before it even arrived I was looking for more synths!!!
No one can help you here we are all as bad as each other!
Old 26th December 2012
Yeah I've had that happen too (look for gear while waiting for newly purchased gear to arrive). It is quite a sickness.

Try to focus as much as possible on making music with your existing gear, I find this helps. Another thing that helps me with GAS is to watch youtube videos of gear I already own, to give new life and inspiration so to speak. Reading reviews of existing gear also helps. Basically pretend like you're going to buy gear you already have to concentrate your gas on things you already own lol. You'd be surprised how much new life is hidden in your current gear. Of course this is always easier said than done.

If all else fails, then call your ISP and tell them to turn off your internet..
Old 26th December 2012
sell the ones you dont use
Old 26th December 2012
This is Gearslutz. There is no such thing as having too much of anything. When's the CS-80 coming?
Old 26th December 2012
Quote:
The two known solutions are:

1) Poverty
2) Death

I do not recommend either.
Old 26th December 2012
Gear Head

It's OK to keep buying synths as long as you keep selling them when you've had your fun.
Old 26th December 2012
Why you bought an ob8 while you have an obxa?
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

I feel like this sometimes, it's a serious addiction!!!

I thought I was done an now I'm getting into outboard & effects, when will it end????

I feel sometimes it's almost a form of procrastination too, deep down inside

Maybe we need a group therapy session to work out exactly why we GAS so much lol
Old 26th December 2012
You'll die happy. It's a good thing.
Old 26th December 2012
Trust me, just when you feel you have too many synths, you'll see other guys list what they have and you're no where near to point of no return that they are.
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsample View Post
Try to focus as much as possible on making music with your existing gear, I find this helps.
one of these days he's going to run out of Prince songs to cover. than what?!?!

Quote:
Help me! I just bought an Oberheim OB 8 and before it even arrived I was looking for more synths!!!
could be worse.
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsample View Post
Yeah I've had that happen too (look for gear while waiting for newly purchased gear to arrive). It is quite a sickness.

Try to focus as much as possible on making music with your existing gear, I find this helps. Another thing that helps me with GAS is to watch youtube videos of gear I already own, to give new life and inspiration so to speak. Reading reviews of existing gear also helps. Basically pretend like you're going to buy gear you already have to concentrate your gas on things you already own lol. You'd be surprised how much new life is hidden in your current gear. Of course this is always easier said than done.

If all else fails, then call your ISP and tell them to turn off your internet..
That's not going to work. It's just switching delivery methods. My last 4 transactions were all conducted on a phone with GS, Craigslist & eBay. I don't need a connection at home to get a fix.
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
Phil Collins?
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wrong place dude. You are at Gearslutz. What you are looking for is Gearslutz Anonymous.

Whilst you are here. Hows the OB8? How much did you pay for it?
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post

could be worse.
Lmao I actually laughed you must know me!
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
Phil Collins?
Lol stop ....
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odey View Post
Wrong place dude. You are at Gearslutz. What you are looking for is Gearslutz Anonymous.

Whilst you are here. Hows the OB8? How much did you pay for it?
1650 with midi and Pratt Reed action!! Yee Haw!
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

H
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
whyd i get an OB8? Cuz I'm an Ass !
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Well I own a lot of synths but not nearly as much as some of you.

If you want to collect older synths just to do it then go for it.

However, if you want to work with your synths then each one needs to justify itself. Think of your studio as your business and each synth (or any gear) needs to carry itself. You should be able to look at each piece of gear you own and say "I own this because A,B,C"
Old 26th December 2012
To Javd007: dont get my question the wrong way. I dont own either an ob8 nor an obxa and i would love to have both. I have heard both of these instuments and i was with the impression that if you had an obxa, you didnt have a reason to buy an ob8. So to answer to you origilan question , if you can afford it it is the best thing to buy new synths, only perhaps you could be more reasonable on what to buy, but that on the other hand is a matter of personal taste. I wish you enjoy your new synth
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

I suppose at this point it's a collection but they ALL get used very often. Except for my Kurzweil. That hasn't been turned on in 10 years.
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysplex View Post
To Javd007: dont get my question the wrong way. I dont own either an ob8 nor an obxa and i would love to have both. I have heard both of these instuments and i was with the impression that if you had an obxa, you didnt have a reason to buy an ob8. So to answer to you origilan question , if you can afford it it is the best thing to buy new synths, only perhaps you could be more reasonable on what to buy, but that on the other hand is a matter of personal taste. I wish you enjoy your new synth
Ok. OB8 has midi, more mod options, Arpeggiator. It's lighter to gig with. And #1 it's supposedly more reliable. OBxa is as reliable as a Yugo.
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok. OB8 has midi, more mod options, Arpeggiator. It's lighter to gig with. And #1 it's supposedly more reliable. OBxa is as reliable as a Yugo. It's really that bad. Every few months its a voice chip repair or something.
Old 26th December 2012
If you want help go over to any thread that has guys who are hard up for softsynths.

They just don't see the point of buying hardware and will try to reason you out of it.

Not me though.
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

I have been up that hill and am back down it. Synths are lovely items, but I get more out of knowing them inside out and too many synths stops that thought dead.
Fortunately I did it when nice older synths were affordable. Now I buy the cheap stuff that is GREAT that nobody wants because it isn't analogue or famous..
Old 27th December 2012
Gear Addict

Hah! Are you a compulsive shopper? Here, shop for my services that help you stop your shopping problems.... hey bro, I heard you like shopping...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search