The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Help!!! I buy too many synths!!!
Old 1 week ago
  #61
Gear Maniac
 

You just need to buy the synthesizer that is right for you
Old 1 week ago
  #62
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Well, I've had 10 synths forever. I made a deal with myself a long time ago, when I buy a new one, the one that gets used the least gets sold. So I stay within the 10 synth limit. (I sound like an alcoholic, but it works)...
I do kind of the same thing, but my hard limit is a combo of analog inputs and desk space. I was all set to ignore my desk space limit and get a Hydrasynth, but then I thought hard about it and realized that I was not missing a good representation of any aspects of it, but I am missing a DCO poly, so I’m back on my path.
Old 1 week ago
  #63
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Of Nebula View Post
I tried this trick lately too because of the GAS Hydrasynth is giving me. I watched videos of my Yamaha MODX. It actually worked!

edit: oh, it's a resurrection thread.
I do this all the time.
Old 1 week ago
  #64
Lives for gear
 
string6theory's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitslave View Post
You’re preaching to the choir buddy! Move along now!
He was choir preaching 7 years ago c-slave! I do hope he's moved along by now.
Old 1 week ago
  #65
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Of Nebula View Post
I tried this trick lately too because of the GAS Hydrasynth is giving me. I watched videos of my Yamaha MODX. It actually worked!
I do this all the time!!!

I love watching demos or tutorials of gear (or software) I already own. Not only does it relieve GAS, I often learn something new—even with stuff I’ve been using for years.

The release of new (and undeniably superior) gear will also inspire me sometimes to batten down the hatch and take my battle-scarred vessel on what could be its final mission; its last deep dive.

Example: the new Roland Fantoms. I’m lusting for one. But unfortunately, I have other priorities right now. So it’s time to dust off the old XP-60 and crank out some more tunes.

The XP-60 has been responsible for the largest number of finished tracks of any synth in my studio (despite its actual sounds rarely making it onto the final release).

Since retiring it a few years ago—without a replacement—my output has dropped dramatically. I’ve basically just been noodling ever since—mostly releasing only jams—or improv sessions. No songs. No highly crafted, composed tracks.
Old 1 week ago
  #66
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsample View Post
... Another thing that helps me with GAS is to watch youtube videos of gear I already own, to give new life and inspiration so to speak. Reading reviews of existing gear also helps. Basically pretend like you're going to buy gear you already have to concentrate your gas on things you already own lol. You'd be surprised how much new life is hidden in your current gear. Of course this is always easier said than done.
This seems like a great tip indeed Worth resurrecting.

So, I guess I'm off to watching demos of MKS-50 (to cure my GAS for the JU-06A).
Old 1 week ago
  #67
Gear Addict
 
Summer Of Nebula's Avatar
 

This thread is a nice GAS support group. The Gasoholics Anonymous.
Old 1 week ago
  #68
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
He was choir preaching 7 years ago c-slave! I do hope he's moved along by now.
LMAO! I was searching the archives for some info and got lost and responded
Old 1 week ago
  #69
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by javd007 View Post
Synth buying is an addiction. Help me!
NO
Old 1 week ago
  #70
Lives for gear
 
B_and_W's Avatar
 

This guy is like a crack addict who goes to a crackhouse and tells them "Help I have a drug problem". Money was made to spend on stuff you like. For me it's either music equipment, clothing or cigars. Especially that last one is an expensive hobby.
Old 1 week ago
  #71
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
So, I guess I'm off to watching demos of MKS-50 (to cure my GAS for the JU-06A).
Maybe you already know this, but here’s something that might bring new life to your MKS-50.

I was on the verge of selling mine until I began experimenting with micro-tuning using its primitive form of MPE.

Yes, the MKS-50 is an MPE synth! Well, not exactly, but...

Using Max4Live and a MIDIpal to allocate polyphonic voices, I set it up as 6 mono synths in Ableton, each set to respond to a different MIDI channel, and then place a microtuning plugin on each channel.

A microtuned MKS-50 sounds… well, like a totally different synth. It's incredible. You can go places with it you can’t go with most other vintage analogs.
Old 1 week ago
  #72
Lives for gear
 
B_and_W's Avatar
 

Aaaaand the enablers award goes to @ Don Solaris



Today I was checking for some gear on Thomann and saw the Blofeld. It has multitimbrality, a keybed and it sounds great! I'll be buying this synth this week while I receive my Broddessy this week.
Old 1 week ago
  #73
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Maybe you already know this, but here’s something that might bring new life to your MKS-50.

I was on the verge of selling mine until I began experimenting with micro-tuning using its primitive form of MPE.

Yes, the MKS-50 is an MPE synth! Well, not exactly, but...

Using Max4Live and a MIDIpal to allocate polyphonic voices, I set it up as 6 mono synths in Ableton, each set to respond to a different MIDI channel, and then place a microtuning plugin on each channel.

A microtuned MKS-50 sounds… well, like a totally different synth. It's incredible. You can go places with it you can’t go with most other vintage analogs.
Thanks, great advice! Never heard of MPE before, gotta check it out, hopefully I don't need to buy and learn much software though. Anyway I'm starting to GAS my MKS-50!
Old 1 week ago
  #74
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
Thanks, great advice! Never heard of MPE before, gotta check it out, hopefully I don't need to buy and learn much software though. Anyway I'm starting to GAS my MKS-50!
MPE stands for MIDI Polyphonic Expression

Here's more info (oriented toward Roli users, but still pertinent):

https://rolisupport.freshdesk.com/su...3-what-is-mpe-

The MKS-50 isn't really an MPE device, of course, as it came out decades before MPE. But it has rudimentary MPE functionality.

Check it out!
Old 1 week ago
  #75
Lives for gear
 
namnibor's Avatar
Seventy-seven cats or Seventy-seven synths, your choice?

I’d go with 77 synths and 1 cat to rule them all
Old 1 week ago
  #76
Gear Head
 

I'm currently negotiating the purchase of an DX7IIfd.
The bi-timbral one.
It digital synthesis a dirty secret in here now?
Old 1 week ago
  #77
Lives for gear
 
namnibor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo668 View Post
I'm currently negotiating the purchase of an DX7IIfd.
The bi-timbral one.
It digital synthesis a dirty secret in here now?
Everybody modulates in unthinkable ways down here.
Old 1 week ago
  #78
Lives for gear
 
Spectralwaves's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Maybe you already know this, but here’s something that might bring new life to your MKS-50.

I was on the verge of selling mine until I began experimenting with micro-tuning using its primitive form of MPE.

Yes, the MKS-50 is an MPE synth! Well, not exactly, but...

Using Max4Live and a MIDIpal to allocate polyphonic voices, I set it up as 6 mono synths in Ableton, each set to respond to a different MIDI channel, and then place a microtuning plugin on each channel.

A microtuned MKS-50 sounds… well, like a totally different synth. It's incredible. You can go places with it you can’t go with most other vintage analogs.
Interesting. I would like to try that.

Im constantly amazed how great my Alpha Juno 2 sounds. Lovely keybed too ,like the D50.

I forget for a while until I turn it on & play it.
Old 1 week ago
  #79
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo668 View Post
I'm currently negotiating the purchase of an DX7IIfd.
The bi-timbral one.
It digital synthesis a dirty secret in here now?
I still have one of those, killer synth.
Old 1 week ago
  #80
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectralwaves View Post
Interesting. I would like to try that.

Im constantly amazed how great my Alpha Juno 2 sounds. Lovely keybed too ,like the D50.

I forget for a while until I turn it on & play it.
Yes, the Alpha Juno-2 is a classic. One of my personal favorites.

It doesn't have the primitive MPE capability of MKS-50, however, if you were thinking of trying that idea with the Juno-2. It lacks the multi-channel mono mode (that was originally intended for use with MIDI guitar controllers).
Old 1 week ago
  #81
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Since retiring it a few years ago—without a replacement—my output has dropped dramatically. I’ve basically just been noodling ever since—mostly releasing only jams—or improv sessions. No songs. No highly crafted, composed tracks.
Is that bad? A lot of the time I find those types of things more interesting to listen to.
Old 1 week ago
  #82
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsample View Post
Another thing that helps me with GAS is to watch youtube videos of gear I already own
...and then Youtube suggests a new demo video of a synth you don’t own and...
Old 1 week ago
  #83
Lives for gear
 
Phil Cibley's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsample View Post

If all else fails, then call your ISP and tell them to turn off your internet..
No good. Then he'd just go down to a brick and mortar store.
Old 1 week ago
  #84
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Is that bad? A lot of the time I find those types of things more interesting to listen to.
No, I wouldn’t say it’s bad—and I also enjoy listening to those types of tracks.

But they’re more difficult to release commercially. I’d really like to get another album of songs out—something a bit more crafted than what I’ve been doing the past few years.

The noodling will continue, of course. But more balance in my output would be good, I think.

My only commercial release in 2018 was a song I wrote ten years ago.
Old 1 week ago
  #85
F5D
Lives for gear
 
F5D's Avatar
 

There is no cure. I ran out of synth stands, so I have some unused synths still in their factory packaging. I also started buying guitars and basses and built a wall stand for them. I have a few guitar pedals that I use for synths, but there are so many more available and many so inexpensive! I might buy some more... One thing I try to avoid is going modular (synths).
Old 1 week ago
  #86
i switched to pedals for cpl of years to hold me off from buying more synths. it helped - for a while.

i did go thru eurorack phase. and luckily i survived. just one module in past 3 -4 years. actually have a nice working system that isnt over the top.

but danger is always creeping near,,, been looking at modulargrid lately after a few years,, wheeeew so many interesting things,, and then i also get these notifications for ppl selling some rare modules i always wanted...


we really don't stand a chance for ever getting away from all this, don't we ?
Old 1 week ago
  #87
Lives for gear
 
Spectralwaves's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Yes, the Alpha Juno-2 is a classic. One of my personal favorites.

It doesn't have the primitive MPE capability of MKS-50, however, if you were thinking of trying that idea with the Juno-2. It lacks the multi-channel mono mode (that was originally intended for use with MIDI guitar controllers).
Oh yes ,of course it doesn't have the multi channel mode. Thanks for that. Another good reason to pick up an MKS 50 sometime. That particular feature & your use of it would go nicely with a doubled patch on Alpha Juno 2.
Old 1 week ago
  #88
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 

You gota either run out of space or money..
Old 1 week ago
  #89
Lives for gear
 

After getting in a mess with too much stuff, I've found that selling things is almost as pleasurable as buying new sh1t! It's a real weight off the shoulders. I'm still buying knick knacks but nothing really big. It's just too easy to buy things now. Click click and it's on the way. Selling takes a lot more effort but it's certainly a relief when you get things out the door.
Old 1 week ago
  #90
Lives for gear
 
depulse's Avatar
When I have too many synths I often buy another one, the mother of them all that should replace several old ones. But then somehow I seldom sell the older ones, so my problem just aggravates.

I'm thinking along these lines for the new Roland Fantom, offload a bunch of old Roland romplers and save space. But then the thought of putting up adds, haggling with the prices, dealing with buyers that disappears, pack and ship the synths and then deal with buyers that wants to return the stuff they bought, I often then just pack the old stuff into the storage and give up the idea of selling. Or put the new stuff directly in storage......
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump