The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your favourite DX7 revision?
Old 14th December 2012
  #1
SEED78
Guest
Your favourite DX7 revision?

which do you favor?

DX7 original style
DX7II/D/F
DX7S
TX7
TX816
TX802

obviously a lot of the revisions add the extra layering that makes them really worth hunting down, but do you prefer the sound of the original etc etc etc

which is easiest to program?
Old 14th December 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 

I had TX7 and sold it for a TX802. I much prefer it, more features and layering are very important to me. Careful A/B testing (when I had both in my hands) didn't show any significant sonic differences actually.

I wouldn't say no to a TX816 either!
Old 14th December 2012
  #3
SEED78
Guest
Tx816 sounds raw, in a rugged way that appeals.
Old 14th December 2012
  #4
Gear Addict
 

At the moment I'm working mainly with analogue sounds, but like to keep a MK1 DX7 around for some contrasting digital grit and punch. I like the sound of the original. While I don't find it hard to come up with new sounds, I wouldn't say I program it quite so extensively as my analogue synths.

The idea of making an album one day just with FM sounds quite appeals to me, in which case I'd definitely pick up a DX7II for the extra features. Maybe a TX802 too ...although I prefer my synths to have keys.
Old 14th December 2012
  #5
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
I prefer the II soundwise (Unison!) but the aesthetics and keyboard feel of the I made me keep it when some stuff had to go because of a big purchase.

I also have two TX7s - I should get a third so I have half a TX816.
Old 14th December 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
I love the original, the brown and turquoise colour scheme that matches my hair really retro looking. I have a mint condition one which I've upgraded with a backlight and am currently installing the special edition ROM and 128 patch memory. It sounds lovely and noisy and grungy.

I also have a SY77 which is incredible, is a real looker and does deep AFM stuff and very analogue at times. So they give me the best of both worlds

Don't like the DX7II mainly due to it's looks, don't like the updated DX7 logo and the whole thing looks very black, cold and uninviting.

you could create great stuff with any of them though!
Old 14th December 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
I prefer the II soundwise (Unison!) but the aesthetics and keyboard feel of the I made me keep it when some stuff had to go because of a big purchase.

I also have two TX7s - I should get a third so I have half a TX816.
I'm going to be a totally annoying pedantic asswipe here and say that there are 8 TX7's in a a TX816, so you'd need two more to have half an 816. Again I'm sorry, I hate being corrected myself.
Old 14th December 2012
  #8
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
I also have a DX7 I, so I only need 3 TX7s, not 4 That's what the "made me keep it" in my previous post refers to.

At one point I had 3 DX7s.
Old 14th December 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
D'oh! I should have known XD
Old 15th December 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
I like most of them!
The TX802 is really practical in the studio and sounds excellent. The TX816 is a beast but a PITA to setup and use if I'm honest. What a synth though. With careful programming you have a 16 note polysynth with 8 partials that are highly dynamic. Those are the 2 I have ended up with along with an older very rare FVX1. It seems it came from their big organ division and was only produced in small numbers (20 or so!) 8 operator, loads of algorithms and an FX section. Really cool thing. I just don't consider mentioning them as they are impossible to find. You can edit certain important parameters but need software to do the detailed stuff and the software doesn't exist.
I would say in this day and age though, the TX802 is as big a bargain as anything out there.
Old 15th December 2012
  #11
SEED78
Guest
am def leaning towards the DX7II/D - tx802 - tx816, for all the layering options the original doesn;t have.
Old 15th December 2012
  #12
Gear Addict
 
BaconTastesGood's Avatar
 

Has anyone done a direct comparison of the PreenFM vs. older Yamaha FM synths? Curious if it could acts as a reasonable replacement for those.
Old 15th December 2012
  #13
SEED78
Guest
TX802 and TX816 both have 8 individual outs - DX7II doesn't have that - might have just made my mind up...
Old 15th December 2012
  #14
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
TX802 and TX816 both have 8 individual outs - DX7II doesn't have that - might have just made my mind up...
If you are working with a mixer, then the TX802 would be good. Of course, programming is easier on the keyboard however...
Old 15th December 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
I have a TX802 and I really love it. The sound quality is excellent and it is a great companion to any analog synth. It also integrates perfectly into a modern studio both in function and design. Unfortunately the 8 individual outputs on mine won't trigger the same time as the mixed outputs and it won't trigger more than three notes at a time.
Old 15th December 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I love the original, the brown and turquoise colour scheme that matches my hair really retro looking. I have a mint condition one which I've upgraded with a backlight and am currently installing the special edition ROM and 128 patch memory. It sounds lovely and noisy and grungy.

I also have a SY77 which is incredible, is a real looker and does deep AFM stuff and very analogue at times. So they give me the best of both worlds

Don't like the DX7II mainly due to it's looks, don't like the updated DX7 logo and the whole thing looks very black, cold and uninviting.

you could create great stuff with any of them though!
How does the unison on the DX compare to the SY? I have an SY77 and I was thinking about picking up a tg77 or 2! for more voices and playing more with unison. I've always heard good things about the DX unison though.
Old 15th December 2012
  #17
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necron 99 View Post
I have a TX802 and I really love it. The sound quality is excellent and it is a great companion to any analog synth. It also integrates perfectly into a modern studio both in function and design. Unfortunately the 8 individual outputs on mine won't trigger the same time as the mixed outputs and it won't trigger more than three notes at a time.
Have you tried a factory reset?
Start it up with the 8 and 9 buttons pressed and using the + button I think, you can find init all somewhere. You can also do hardware tests from there.
Old 15th December 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodeater View Post
How does the unison on the DX compare to the SY? I have an SY77 and I was thinking about picking up a tg77 or 2! for more voices and playing more with unison. I've always heard good things about the DX unison though.
I'm not sure as my dx7 is one of the originals (didn't even have MIDI til a tech installed it, apparently) and the original brown ones have no unison, only the mk2's have that, I believe. As far as I understand, the DX7II and SY77 are very similar sounding so both should be good for unison, I have some patches on my 77 that are simply the same sound detuned four times. Epic.
Old 15th December 2012
  #19
SEED78
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
If you are working with a mixer, then the TX802 would be good. Of course, programming is easier on the keyboard however...
Tracking 8 outs, then EQing through the C4 would be cool
Old 15th December 2012
  #20
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
Tracking 8 outs, then EQing through the C4 would be cool
The trafos on the C4 make synths sound lush..
Old 15th December 2012
  #21
SEED78
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
The trafos on the C4 make synths sound lush..
I prob won't have my C4 back for a few months now - I went overboard on a custom patchbay/llundhal transformer balancing unit - am in the process of selling MPC/Akai hotswap compact flash drive kits to get the cash together.

can't wait to have my C4 to mix on!!
Old 15th December 2012
  #22
SEED78
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I'm not sure as my dx7 is one of the originals (didn't even have MIDI til a tech installed it, apparently) and the original brown ones have no unison, only the mk2's have that, I believe. As far as I understand, the DX7II and SY77 are very similar sounding so both should be good for unison, I have some patches on my 77 that are simply the same sound detuned four times. Epic.
doesn't the SY77 prob have a more 'polite' sound than the DX7II? not in a bad way I kind of mean a more 'modern' sound, smoother less gritty more high end (I want a SY77 big time), but always thought of the DX7II and the TX802 being closer to the sound of the orig DX? anyone know?
Old 15th December 2012
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
doesn't the SY77 prob have a more 'polite' sound than the DX7II? not in a bad way I kind of mean a more 'modern' sound, smoother less gritty more high end (I want a SY77 big time), but always thought of the DX7II and the TX802 being closer to the sound of the orig DX? anyone know?
As far as I know, absolutely!
Old 15th December 2012
  #24
SEED78
Guest
I'll prob either have a TX802 + Sy77 - or a TG77+DX7II

would really like a SY99 - but you never see them for sale...
Old 15th December 2012
  #25
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
no they're rare! I was under the impression that the 16 bit synths (TX802 DX7IID/FD/+ and sy77) sounded pretty much the same tone wise, though the sy77 adds filters and AFM. And the original DX7 (12 bit) is the least polite and very grungy/aliased, so I got one from each group, I don't think there's much point having a DX7, a DX7II AND a SY77 lol
Old 16th December 2012
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I'm going to be a totally annoying pedantic asswipe here and say that there are 8 TX7's in a a TX816, so you'd need two more to have half an 816. Again I'm sorry, I hate being corrected myself.
Sorry - I hate doing this a well - but the TX816 is a modular system in that you can have up to 8 in a rack. The individual modules often come up on ebay, I had one that had six in it.
Old 16th December 2012
  #27
Gear Addict
 
DesolationBlvd's Avatar
I like the DX7II(F)D / S the least for the same reason xanderbeanz stated - it's just not as attractive as the original DX7. But, original DX7's velocity didn't go up all the way.

I don't have space for another keyboard, though. My next gear purchase is most likely going to be the TX802. Kinda torn here on whether I really want a TX802 or just a TX81Z.
Old 16th December 2012
  #28
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
I also have a DX7 I, so I only need 3 TX7s, not 4 That's what the "made me keep it" in my previous post refers to.

At one point I had 3 DX7s.
lol, okay mr eno.
Old 16th December 2012
  #29
227861
Guest
IIFD

I had the mark I but editing a patch is much better on the IIFD, and I noticed the Mark I is definitely more noisey.
Old 16th December 2012
  #30
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 

Ideal world is DX1...mother of all!

But I have the Dx7 Centennial...same engine as dx7iifd but 76 keys!! and yes they glow in the night (some type of radium thing on the keys)

Also have 816 for fatness and go through a Yamaha SubMixer.,,
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
HSLand / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
10
Nerine / So Much Gear, So Little Time
15
MancSound / So Much Gear, So Little Time
10
Mils / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
4
supaheef / So Much Gear, So Little Time
32

Forum Jump
Forum Jump