The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
THE official "French House" technique thread!!! Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

THE official "French House" technique thread!!!

Yep, a "French House" thread for all things French, production wise!

It's a genre that's shrouded in mystery / myth / hatred hahhah

but there are no real good threads that share "real" technique's that the Ed banger crew and the rest actually do.

I can share some of the stuff I know...

Alesis 3630 on the master buss - BUT boosting the bass on the kick via the mixer channel so it "pumps " the mix .... real simple but that's a staple of the sound.
Also they mostly use DMX kick and snare samples, with 808 percussion etc..

The trick is to boost that kick sample at around 50hz , till the compresor ( in this case usually an Alesis 3630) pumps the audio , but it also "gel's" everything togethor and add's punch to the kick and snare.

my fave's at the moment are ...
Breakbot / Lifelike / Alan Braxe
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear maniac

Thanks, share the the kick and snare?

The french is my favourite, currently listening a lot to Surkin and Breakbot.
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

just download the dubsounds dmx samples....great samples
Old 3rd December 2012
Don't know where that rumour emerged from about the ed banger lot using dmx and linndrum samples.that maybe true for daft punk (it's quite obvious to be honest on the discovery album)but it's certainly not applicable to the sound of oizo,justice,sebastiAn etc

They use acoustic drums (mr oizos moustache half a scissor pretty much set the blueprint) that have had the ass processed out of them am pretty sure justice used stock akai sampler acoustic kicks aswell.there was a pack floating round a while ago in relation to a dnb forum that had some old akai drum kits and oizo has quite openly admitted a number of times that he mainly uses alot of the drums and cheesy instrument stabs out of the apple packs other than that oizo rips most his drums out of cheesy 80ies stuff. yellow being a prime example as does sebastiAn.justice tend to stick with the processed acoustic kicks layered with more subby tails for those extra long sidechain kicks when needed,like in valentine for example

Something that might be worth adding.alot of the really really messed up sounding growly saw sounds are usually samples of anything pianos,organs,a dog taking a **** (wouldn't put it past them) whatever looped to one cycle and then distorted bounced out and a couple more stacked up against one another and detuned,panned,distorted again maybe(you don't need to apply any type of modulation effects as the modulation is obtained by detuning the samples against one another gives you a more controllered flangery/phasery sound) to give that really weird phasing sound that some of sebastiAns (not so bassy cough) bass sounds have.a blatant example of this is sebastiAns motor tune it sounds like he is automating the the loop size portion to achieve the pitch rising

Liberal use of saturation and clipping.gating abuse plays heavily in this sound aswell especially alot of the really messy distorted sounding saws etc like on oizos moustache half a scissor another example is justices remix of mr oizo's ****

Using the whole track as a keytrigger to trigger a sidechain compressor on the master is also a method used alot by the french dudes.you need a compressor with a lookahead in order to achieve this successfully otherwise your drums are going to end up being very small and or long attack times short release times.

I know the thread says "french house" and this isn't really french house but you did mention ed banger so maybe the above is still applicable oh well if it aint

Johnynotknow
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear Maniac

I've heard the Ensoniq DP/4 is a secret weapon (okay, not so secret) of some of the French house producers. I just picked one up this weekend and I haven't had time to play with it yet.

Ged, are you using the 3630 on the master bus on most of your tracks?
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear Maniac

I got away with using a DBX 266XL on the master bus, purely because it's all I had and is in the same ball park as the Alesis.

I love how the 'sound' of a genre is often attributed to limitations and cheap gear. Makes gear lusting look silly sometimes.
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfish View Post
I've heard the Ensoniq DP/4 is a secret weapon (okay, not so secret) of some of the French house producers. I just picked one up this weekend and I haven't had time to play with it yet.
I remember many years ago some guy wanted to buy my DP/4 because "it's how Daft Punk get their sound"...
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

i think the phazer was lot used, could be wrong..
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear Nut

Roland s760 + dp/4 + alesis 3630
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

I dont think the S760 is an important bit of gear for them anymore i think they used them pre hard disk recording, laying out parts into the sampler to replay the track, id have thought they use Ableton/ Logic etc for that type of thing today.
The SP1200 id think more so, for dirty samples and beats, the 909 of course.
DP4 was used a lot for phasing and flanging, dont know if they still use it now, a Mutator of course for filtering those loops, the 3630 comp for master pump, a nice vibey reverb like a pcm70, throw in an old akai like the S950 for extra samples.
Dont forget the analogue gear, 909, all the old cool drum machines, TB303, Arps, Moogs, Junos, Ms20's for those big lead and bass lines.
I dont think there is much too it really, not to say its easy, far from it, but the trick with a lot of that stuff and other similiar cutup stuff from DJ Sneak et al is getting some good samples...... then get a sweet groove going and make the 3630 pump! Sprinkle some synths ontop to complete the recipe.
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

some of these guys are true gearslutz.. so hard to know what define their sound as they have access to all the cool gears, they will use what feel write for the occasion
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear Maniac

What can you say about Motorbass production? Do you hear any recognizable reverbs, choruses or compressors? Or even compressor settings. Pansoul album is genuis in all senses
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Just googled Étienne de Crécy studio:

Dans le studio d'Etienne de Crécy - Vidéo Dailymotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by top dog View Post
What can you say about Motorbass production? Do you hear any recognizable reverbs, choruses or compressors? Or even compressor settings. Pansoul album is genuis in all senses
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

thread title is a little misleading, ed banger is electro not house... as for DP the only true house tracks are from their debut Homework which had heavy chicago/sneak influence. also the setup RobJB06 describes is their old 90's setup. Discovery was more sample based with Junos & Jupiters on top.. and Alive 2007 was pretty much ableton and 4 voyager racks.. anyways plenty of threads & info on DP, Ed Banger etc... fwiw i think the over-compressed sound is kind of gimmicky and has been done to death.. oizo is the only one that really stands out @ EB... plenty of other interesting labels & artists in the french EDM scene though..

btw, i already posted these elsewhere but here are couple more related studio links:

Alan Braxe - Studio tour - YouTube
Fred Falke Studio Tour - YouTube
Chromeo Studio Tour - YouTube
Phil Weeks presents Underground Chronicles Episode 10 - YouTube
DJ Sneak & Phil Weeks Acid Session 1 - YouTube
Joakim Studio tour - YouTube
PARA ONE & TACTEEL - YouTube
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
Just googled Étienne de Crécy studio:

Dans le studio d'Etienne de Crécy - Vidéo Dailymotion
Thanks, didnt know about this video. His studio is amazing! But i'm much more into guys earliest stuff - without distortion, overcompression and very sample-based. That stuff is timeless!
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm just using Ableton's comp at the moment
Old 3rd December 2012
EMU SP 12 ; SP 1200 ; DRUMTRACKS ; KORG TRIDENT( real french touch used keys ) ; mpc s and cheap samplers ; loads of funk records ; alesis 3630 ; loads of filters ; tr 909 ; TB 303 ...
MOOG source ; i see it quiet a bit on french rigs ...

So funk sampled records with real basses and guitars + heavy filtering and distortion ; clipping ;analogue drums TR 909 DRUMTRACKS ...KEYS AND VOCALS SLICED done for the great groove ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ged View Post
BUT boosting the bass on the kick via the mixer channel so it "pumps " the mix .... real simple but that's a staple of the sound.
Via the mixer channel?
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear maniac

Slices ! Sometimes even Skrillex sounds french 'cause of slices

People here have summarized it all, but there all those specifics that are still a mystery that we should keep investigating.
Old 3rd December 2012
Not to mention the side chaining techniques ; parallel compression ....

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headz51230 View Post
Via the mixer channel?
sorry, meant just the kicks channel eq...
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
but there are no real good threads that share "real" technique's that the Ed banger crew and the rest actually do.................my fave's at the moment are ...Breakbot / Lifelike / Alan Braxe
you compare ed banger with braxe, lifelike, breakbot ??!?!?!?!!?!?!

Quote:
I'm just using Ableton's comp at the moment
and you conceal that you are 'mastering' with the vengeaaaance mbc.
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

^ uh...well breakbot is a ed banger signed artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowbie View Post
Slices ! Sometimes even Skrillex sounds french 'cause of slices
if you are talking about chopped samples and cut up vocals, the french didn't invent that.. i believe todd edwards pioneered that style in the early 90's.. daft punk even have him featured on discovery. oh and please pretty please don't bring skrillex into this thread..

Todd Edwards MIX #120306 (Selected and Mixed by TJMT) - YouTube
Old 3rd December 2012
Just went past friday to see BREAKBOT ( DJ SET ; SOCIAL CLUB in PARIS ) ...
i dig LIFELIKE ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

The SP-12/SP-1200 provide the right low end punch and dirt, the sequencer's groove works very well for French House and the 'star dust' transposition artifacts are sprinkled all over FH releases.
Older AKAI samplers are nice for the way they sound with the inputs overdriven for samples.
A bad ass monosynth like the original Minimoog is great, but as someone has said before, the less expensive Korg, Roland etc. ones work very well, too.
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by riphead View Post
you compare ed banger with braxe, lifelike, breakbot ??!?!?!?!!?!?!

and you conceal that you are 'mastering' with the vengeaaaance mbc.
I'm not using it anymore, it is a great Multiband but it's not needed for this style.
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

I think the secret to french house of that era is the old Akai s-series, mainly s900/s950, if you're using soft samplers to make this genre you might as well give up
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Here's a Track I did all in Ableton , I'm no Sebastian but I hope you enjoy...

Old 3rd December 2012
Gear Guru
SP1200 ... yeap.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search