The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog Bass! is minitaur really up 2 the challenge?
Old 29th November 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
damn, this thing crushes! got it this aft
and brought it to my band jam this week,
our bassist is often quite loud and it kinda blew him outta the water lol
and actually you can get some good tweaky fun with the reso most the way up a bit of lfo and and jackin the filter while playin. definitely some cool fx sounds plus it clearly does what it should , gonna have some fun with this!
Old 29th November 2012 | Show parent
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeskillz View Post
damn, this thing crushes! got it this aft
and brought it to my band jam this week,
our bassist is often quite loud and it kinda blew him outta the water lol
This brings up the question: What would a good amplifier be for the Minitaur? It would be nice to be able to shake the rafters with that little box, without blowing speakers.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
This brings up the question: What would a good amplifier be for the Minitaur? It would be nice to be able to shake the rafters with that little box, without blowing speakers.
A cost effective system that is good when working with Minitaur is Yamaha HS-50 with the Subwoofer HS-10 (not as good as ATC and Barefoot, but another price tag - my college has them booth in the studio and the Minitaur sounds great through them)
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsynth View Post
I think from the very beginning the Minitaur was conceived to be limited to bass duties, and the resulting design flowed from that decision. Thus it would not be accurate to think of the Minitaur as a full-range instrument that was artificially limited to C5--rather as an instrument with an inherent limit of C5 that could probably be pushed further with a hardware modification.

As to the parameters only available via software, I don't like that either but I feel it's a fair compromise to keep the hardware interface simpler. My biggest complaint is actually the shared decay/release knob; I would have gladly accepted smaller knobs or a wider footprint to have separate controls for each of those.
Agree with everything you're saying. The only thing that has ever really bothered me about the Minitaur is the shared decay and release knob.

Minitaur does good brass too if anybodies noticed.
Old 1st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
[discaimer] havent tried minitaur in the flesh yet (one is coming to me on tryout next month from a nearby store), but must say i dig its general tone from them crapload of demos, much moreso than i ever liked vygr/lp when i had them on tryout. ..
I might get one soon, can I ask if you tried it yet, and if so, if it gave you any joy?

Old 1st January 2013 | Show parent
SEED78
anyone compared a Minitaur against a old ATC1?

or a Creamware Mini?
Old 2nd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post

or a Creamware Mini?
I have both the Minitaur and the Creamware Minimax. They do not compare because the Creamware is POLYPHONIC, has some effects built in, and is far more versatile (by design) than the Minitaur.

If you have the chance to get a Minimax then do it. If not then the Minitaur does the Moog bass thing right
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
I might get one soon, can I ask if you tried it yet, and if so, if it gave you any joy?

hey man, no not yet. ill givem a call after the holiday season.. to see when
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur View Post
I have both the Minitaur and the Creamware Minimax. They do not compare because the Creamware is POLYPHONIC, has some effects built in, and is far more versatile (by design) than the Minitaur.

If you have the chance to get a Minimax then do it. If not then the Minitaur does the Moog bass thing right
But most people use the Minimax like a mono to emulate the Model D surely?

What do you make the tone of both, does the Minimax sound less 'analogue' - which one does the deeper bass?
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

or a Creamware Mini?
I just ordered the minitaur to go with my old ATC-1 so once it gets here ill let you know.

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin View Post
Neither of these. Which bit of V/Hz maths are people not getting?
I'm with you mate.

But I think the question should be:

Why did they use V/Hz and not V/oct. ?
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
I just ordered the minitaur to go with my old ATC-1 so once it gets here ill let you know.
please do - ATC1 is no slouch when it comes to bass and is meant to be Model D style, so curious how the Minitaur stacks up!
Old 3rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
hey man, no not yet. ill givem a call after the holiday season.. to see when
Ok, thanks anyway!

I decided to get it. It sounds great, but so far the editor/hardware settings is acting up badly.

Will return later with some clips.
Old 3rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
I'm with you mate.

But I think the question should be:

Why did they use V/Hz and not V/oct. ?

as stated one page earlier in this same thread:

It's tolerable pitch error is more solid then V/Octave, which is very preferable in a bass synth, as that at the lower frequencies, you can really hear any deviation beating against other things. Thats one of the reasons it is so solid at the low end, moreso then the Slim Phatty or Voyager etc... It could be that, or maybe thats not the "physical" explanation, some sa that the AC coupling between the VCF and VCA increases the bass at a corner frequency of around 20hz.... in a way that's not easily or impossible to duplicate via other means...
I'm not sure, haven't taken it apart or studied as much electrical engineering as I would like. There are many other theories as well as to what make it sound subjectively "oomphier" to us, all i know is I hear it pump more then similar competing products in the range, and I think the attention to detail contributes to my appreciation of it's sound and ability to contour it.
Old 4th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
But most people use the Minimax like a mono to emulate the Model D surely?

What do you make the tone of both, does the Minimax sound less 'analogue' - which one does the deeper bass?
I don't know what most people do, nor do I much care. I have a Voyager...I liked it but the bass wasn't quite getting it done for me. So I got the Minitaur..and went...ahhhhh. (Fits my modular dreams just fine).

Minimax is a far far different machine. First off it has 3 oscs, each with 6 different waveforms, and both OCS 2 and 3 can be detuned against OSC 1 and each other. Plus there is feedback, noise, and some efx. Further it is POLYPHONIC ! Sure it has a unison mode also, but that's only accessible through the programming software that comes with it.

Minimax sounds analog (but is not). Minitaur sounds analog (and is). They both sound different. They both sound good.

Kinda like a Source doesn't sound like a Rogue or Prodigy or Model D or moog modular. They all sound Moogy. They all sound good. They all sound analog (whatever that means).

I never had a Model D.
Old 4th January 2013 | Show parent
SEED78
so minimax can go nice and low then - even compared to the voyager?

thats a good sign - its moving further up my list of must haves...
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So listen to the Minimax here:
MiniMax ASB

and read about the comparison Miinimax vs Model D vs Voyager here:
Moog Music Forum • View topic - Vintage, Voyager or Virtual - a comparison test

The complete "Vintage, Voyager or Virtual" article and audio clips are posted on the KnobTweak yahoogroup:

KT > Files > Voyager > Vintage, Voyager or Virtual
Old 8th February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
so minimax can go nice and low then - even compared to the voyager?

thats a good sign - its moving further up my list of must haves...

Hello....

I got the Minimax about 3 months ago. In love with it!
Yes, it does bass very well...in addition to everything else--plus Polyphony.

Here is something I did featuring mostly creamware minimax patches--bass, chords, riffs, leads:

https://reeno.bandcamp.com/album/seagulls

Reeno
Old 8th February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
^Agreed about pitch range. Minitaur is suppose to be for bass. A bass instrument isn't suppose to go into the ranges of soprano . As a general synthesizer, yes the Minitaur is limited.
True, but the Korg Volca Bass is obviously geared towards bass, yet can be played over the full octave range--and costs 1/3 what the Minitaur does.
πŸ“ Reply