0 Votes - 0%
I dont like any Juno
5 Votes - 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th August 2006
Gear Head

Roland Juno

Greetings All

Is it possible to control Software Application Parameters (Synthesizers) and Hardware Synthesizer Parameters (Matrix Control) with the same MIDI Controller?

For example: Doepfer Drehbank

filosofem
Old 10th August 2006
Gear Head

as long as u can assaign the CC#'s to the perameters u want, in theory you should be able to.
Old 11th August 2006
Gear Head

MAJIK, thanks for your interest. Ummm... so this means no double up Continuous Controller Numbers?

Would you plug the Drehbank straight into a MIDI Interface or would you route it into a chain with the other MIDI devices?

filosofem
Old 15th August 2006
mmm double double post heh
you can do both. why not?
I have an AMT8 which is fast, but sometimes you don't want to go to the sequencer.
just make sure the thru is not critical
it tends to delay the midi in some machines.
and that is not a nice thing.
keep it short and simple.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

Juno 106 bass/chorus crackling

Anybody else have this problem? I've noticed it on a couple different Juno 106's. The bassier notes and chorus have crackling static. Any solution to this problem?
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Nut

I think this is normal, if you set the vca level too high...

if it's not related to the vca level, your unit could have a fault..
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Nut

it could be a jack board issue. does it only crackle when the level switch on the back is set to H or does it also do it on the M and L settings?
Old 7th February 2007
Here for the gear

Same Here

I'm having this same exact problem on my Juno 106.

If the sound is bassy when I turn the chorus on I get crackles. It might be caused by leaky caps in the chorus section. I haven't had the chance to look at it yet, the thing is a monster to even take apart.

Let me know what you find.

-jason.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

My switch on the back was on H, in addition I had the volume knob all the way up. set the switch to M, lowered volume to 3 oclock and everything is fine.

Thanks!
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

I should add that the chorus works, but it gets overloaded very easily, especially when playing chords. Could be normal or could need a recap, i dont know. But I rarely use the chorus anyway.
Old 7th February 2007
Gear Nut

the same thing happens on my Juno 60. i always just assumed that it being a rather early stab at digital chorus, bass just wasn't handled that well. the lower my frequency slider, the greater the chance the chorus can't cope.
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by morebutter View Post
My switch on the back was on H, in addition I had the volume knob all the way up. set the switch to M, lowered volume to 3 oclock and everything is fine.

Thanks!
you may need to recap, but probably just C21 and C22 on the 106's jack board (located between the two output jacks). no reason to bother with it now though if you're ok with the M output level. maybe hold off until you have to replace a vcf/vca chip.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth.ignition View Post
you may need to recap, but probably just C21 and C22 on the 106's jack board (located between the two output jacks). no reason to bother with it now though if you're ok with the M output level. maybe hold off until you have to replace a vcf/vca chip.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Having fixed Juno's by the dozen, the chorus board issues are usually caused by the same culprit that plagues a lot of Roland gear from that era, particularly TR909's and even the power supplies of Jupiter 6's... There are 2 types of transistor that Roland used heavily back then, a PNP and an NPN type and they both have a high failure rate, usually going leaky and causing all kinds of distortion.

2SA1115 and 2SC 2603. These transistors are nearly always the problem, even moreso than electro caps. When you turn on your TR909 and one of the sounds spits and latches up, inevitably you will find a leaky 1115 or 2603 in there, and I have found many Juno's with bad chorus boards with the same thing going on.

They are tiny black transistors, the top row of markings on each say 115 and 603 respectively, the case is too small to put the entire code on each. While you could indeed have a bad cap or jack, don't overlook the transistors also.
Old 1st August 2009
Gear Maniac

Juno 106 and Juno 60?

I currently have a Juno 106 but been seriously thinking about getting a Juno 60 also?
Would this be a stupid move?
Do these synths compliment one another or would I essentially be doubling up in many aspects?
Old 1st August 2009
Gear Nut

No MIDI you'll need a DCB to MIDI if you want to trigger. Had both in the 80's. They have similar sound structure but are definitely unique, but if you can own both, go for it.
Old 1st August 2009
They are just about different enough (IMO), but if it stops you from buying a very different synth I wouldn't bother.
Old 1st August 2009
Gear Addict

had both - now only have 60

juno 106
-portamento
-longer release envelopes
- more patch memory

juno 60
-arp - can be synced via sound source
-key hold button
-a little thicker sound

the juno 60 sounds a little more unique to me, thats why i still have it
Old 1st August 2009
Lives for gear

I would say you don't need both really, BUT the 60 is worth getting. Compare the 2 and maybe keep the one you prefer (that will be the 60 )
Old 1st August 2009
Lives for gear

Best sounding Juno the 6 60 or 106 ?

Best sounding Juno 6 60 or 106 ?

Not talking about functionality here... just which one sounds best.

I'd like to hear opinions from people who have used them specifically the 6 & 60
Old 1st August 2009
Old 1st August 2009
Lives for gear

The big thing has to be MIDI and CC control from the 106 which makes it instantly useable with any DAW setup.

The 60 has the edge sound wise. It has that wonderful chorus that total makes this synth ( sound pretty lame without it ) - With the DCB connection you'll be able to get the MIDI happening but only on a basic note on note off way. No CC midi stuff will happen.

I went for the 60 - and love it .
Old 1st August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkadellic View Post
i'm just curious about which one sounds the best i've watched youtube vids and the 6 to me sounds the best

but i haven't used any of these in person

i was just curious about what other people thought concerning sound strictly
Old 1st August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
The big thing has to be MIDI and CC control from the 106 which makes it instantly useable with any DAW setup.
That's the dealbreaker for me!
Old 1st August 2009
Gear Guru

No difference between the 6 and the 60 - the 60's HPF is fairly useless anyway.

The 60 is "wetter". It's pretty much a matter of taste and need, not quality.
Old 1st August 2009
Almost the same, 6-60 have the same DCOs, 106 does not.

6-60 have the exact same EG and VCA chip as the Jupiter 8. The 106's EG is 'software' and its VCA/VCF chip is prone to failure as I am sure you know.

I vote for the Juno 60 because it has DCB which can be controlled by MIDI via a converter box. Plus the 60 can store patches. Both the 6 and 60 are more expensive than the 106 is general.

See this: Legowelt Studio Roland Juno series

I have the 106 and love it by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuez View Post
i'm just curious about which one sounds the best i've watched youtube vids and the 6 to me sounds the best

but i haven't used any of these in person

i was just curious about what other people thought concerning sound strictly
Old 1st August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lain2097 View Post
I vote for the Juno 60 because it has DCB which can be controlled by MIDI via a converter box. Plus the 60 can store patches.
+1.
also has Arpegio with clock input, and 3 Chorus modes I, II, I+II.

used with a pair of symetrix 421 sounds amazing, or overloading the input of a Aphex aural exiter 104c2 with big bottom also sounds great for some patches.
DCB and clock inputs can be midi controlled with many brands of boxes: dinsync, kenton, etc..
Old 1st August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lain2097 View Post
6-60 have the exact same EG and VCA chip as the Jupiter 8.
And they share the same filter chip, IR3109.

@rokuez: As of MIDI, it is available on Juno 60 via this thing. Not only that but you get second LFO, velocity (route it to filter!!), arpeggio sync and more.
Old 1st August 2009
Gear Maniac

They all sound great.

Just buy the cheapest you can find and you'll use it on everything.
Old 1st August 2009
Gear Addict

60 . it sounds like through a deep preamp , but in a synth way...
Closed