The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland Juno Keyboard Synthesizers
View Poll Results: BEST JUNO?
6/60
16 Votes - 44.44%
106
7 Votes - 19.44%
alpha 1/2/mks-50
7 Votes - 19.44%
D
1 Votes - 2.78%
Gi
0 Votes - 0%
I dont like any Juno
5 Votes - 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th May 2012
  #1231
Gear Nut
 
Rolandic's Avatar
Quote:
based on what he said the problem was, i'm not sure it's a VCF/VCA chip issue - he would need to put it into test mode to confirm what exactly is happening. repeatable problems on one voice gets you closer to sorting it out.
Indeed - My reply was quick and not meant to be authoritative, hence the use of "most likely"...

He could very well have multiple voice chip failures instead.
Old 17th May 2012
  #1232
Lives for gear
 
verve92's Avatar
 

Juno 60 for Prophet 8

I have a guy who asked to trade his Prophet 8 for my Juno 60 straight up. WTF??
I am TORN.
I have to get the hell out of the NY/ Philly area. Too much fear and loathing for gear.
Turns out a friend of mine told his buddy I have a Juno 60 which is NOT for sale, but damn...... Am I off for thinking of giving up my Juno 60?
Old 17th May 2012
  #1233
Lives for gear
 
cdog's Avatar
For a P08 keyboard version, as long as the encoders arent glitchy, hells yes.

Snap call.

Its a way more versatile synth, with a built in sequencer and full MIDI implementation (not sure how much those matter to you). Its also newer and less likely to have problems, dying voices/scratchy pots/bad keys/power supply etc etc etc.

Does it sound like a Juno 60? No, no it doesnt. Only you can decide if its worth it but I recently sold my Juno 60 and dont really miss it - was putting the $ towards a Polyevolver and ended up with a good deal on an Andromeda, but I would have snap traded it for a P08.

If you Juno is in super mint condition and/or MIDI modded it might be closer, but still... only you can decide. The Juno is probably the better long term investment, but as a sound design tool the Prophet eats it up in my opinion.
Old 17th May 2012
  #1234
Lives for gear
 
Gil missFlag's Avatar
 

It's really a matter of how much you love the Juno sound. I had a Juno 60 (really regret selling it) and a friend of mine has the Prophet 08, and while it's true that the Prophet is way deeper in terms of possibilities, I found the Juno's raw sound much more inpiring.

With the Juno, very basic sounds using a raw oscillator sound great, and the filter and chorus are thick and syrupy. The prophet sounds kind of thin/bland with basic sounds, but with some experimentation you can create some very unique sounds.

I strongly suggest you spend some time with the Prophet before making the decision.
As for the reliability of the Juno, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 17th May 2012
  #1235
Lives for gear
 
verve92's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog View Post
For a P08 keyboard version, as long as the encoders arent glitchy, hells yes.

Snap call.

Its a way more versatile synth, with a built in sequencer and full MIDI implementation (not sure how much those matter to you). Its also newer and less likely to have problems, dying voices/scratchy pots/bad keys/power supply etc etc etc.

Does it sound like a Juno 60? No, no it doesnt. Only you can decide if its worth it but I recently sold my Juno 60 and dont really miss it - was putting the $ towards a Polyevolver and ended up with a good deal on an Andromeda, but I would have snap traded it for a P08.

If you Juno is in super mint condition and/or MIDI modded it might be closer, but still... only you can decide. The Juno is probably the better long term investment, but as a sound design tool the Prophet eats it up in my opinion.
What in my rig do you want for your A6??
JK
My Juno is mint with flight case no MIDI mod (yet) and I paid $500 for it. Jeez!! This guy is wiling to giving up a $2,000 synth. I assume his thinking is the Prophet 8 will be around for a while and Juno's are going up in value.
My thing is it is vintage and god knows what it would be worth in 10 years time....
He says its 2 years old and the PE keyboard version. GAS all around!
Old 17th May 2012
  #1236
Lives for gear
 
nebelfrau's Avatar
 

I've noticed a lot of seller's remorse for the Juno's which stems from giving up that sweet, sweet chorus. So, I ask you, will you too miss the chorus? I, too, would snap trade for a P08, but all the functionality of the 08 makes it way worth it, to me anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 View Post
My thing is it is vintage and god knows what it would be worth in 10 years time....
Or functional...
Old 17th May 2012
  #1237
Lives for gear
 
verve92's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebelfrau View Post
I've noticed a lot of seller's remorse for the Juno's which stems from giving up that sweet, sweet chorus. So, I ask you, will you too miss the chorus? I, too, would snap trade for a P08, but all the functionality of the 08 makes it way worth it, to me anyway.



Or functional...
Excellent point, man! Dead on. The chorus is soooooo good on the Juno's and tough to replicate. I will still have the chorus on my AJ1 which is also excellent.
I really like the arp on the Juno also.
My main justification going through my mind is I have an AJ1 which has very little in common with the Juno-60 other than it's a 6 voice analog.
That said I have not even been in the same room as a Prophet 8, much less played one, but have some decent YouTube vids and it sounds massive!
Old 17th May 2012
  #1238
Lives for gear
 
flat earth's Avatar
I would have absolutley no regrets swapping a Juno 60 for A P-08.

You have to ask yourself. are you really that attached to a chorus effect? Personally I found it annoying after a while and turned it off mostly (same with chorus on JX10 & flanger on Trident)

Remember P08 is a top end polysynth, the Juno was always a low end synth (I take the current hype/price factor with a pinch of salt tbh)

Just do it.
Old 17th May 2012
  #1239
Lives for gear
 
nebelfrau's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 View Post
Excellent point, man! Dead on. The chorus is soooooo good on the Juno's and tough to replicate. I will still have the chorus on my AJ1 which is also excellent.
I really like the arp on the Juno also.
My main justification going through my mind is I have an AJ1 which has very little in common with the Juno-60 other than it's a 6 voice analog.
That said I have not even been in the same room as a Prophet 8, much less played one, but have some decent YouTube vids and it sounds massive!
I'm unfamiliar with the AJ1, but I would like to note that you never said the 60 was better.. heh If you find the two to be fairly comparable, then the choice maybe easier. Fortunately for you, the Prophet is a modern synth that can be easily found in a music store. I was in a local shop not too long ago and they had an advert for it, but in their synth/keyboard room it was the module hooked up to one of them Korg nano things. I'd get all hands on with one if I were you. I didn't cuz I was the only one in the store and didn't want to be solely responsible for ruining anyone's day with a bunch of freestyle racket.
Old 17th May 2012
  #1240
Lives for gear
 
verve92's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebelfrau View Post
I'm unfamiliar with the AJ1, but I would like to note that you never said the 60 was better..
I would be a moron to say the AJ1 is better. It is NOT by a mile.
They sound nothing alike and AJ1 has no UI to speak of, really.
The justification being if I let the Juno go, I still have a Roland 6 voice DCO based analog......
Not many of you are saying keep the Juno. Maybe I will be a dik and say the Juno plus $500!
Old 17th May 2012
  #1241
Lives for gear
 
nebelfrau's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
I would have absolutley no regrets swapping a Juno 60 for A P-08.

You have to ask yourself. are you really that attached to a chorus effect? Personally I found it annoying after a while and turned it off mostly (same with chorus on JX10 & flanger on Trident)

Remember P08 is a top end polysynth, the Juno was always a low end synth (I take the current hype/price factor with a pinch of salt tbh)

Just do it.
Low end, sure, but it does have quite a bit of history (didn't a Juno basically create the "Chicago house" sound?) on top of the chorus which is probably where all the hype is coming from. That, and not that long ago people (here and other places) were recommending the Juno as an excellent budget synth. As an excellent starter polyanalogue. Well, loads of people wanting something.. supply & demand...
Old 17th May 2012
  #1242
Lives for gear
 
Acid Hazard's Avatar
Trade, don't think, just trade. If you're really THAT connected to that Chorus sound, buy one of the old Boss Chorus racks. Or the newer Behringer Chorus pedal, CD400? It actually doesn't sound that bad!
Old 17th May 2012
  #1243
Lives for gear
 
nebelfrau's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 View Post
I would be a moron to say the AJ1 is better. It is NOT by a mile.
They sound nothing alike and AJ1 has no UI to speak of, really.
The justification being if I let the Juno go, I still have a Roland 6 voice DCO based analog......
Not many of you are saying keep the Juno. Maybe I will be a dik and say the Juno plus $500!
Ah, gotcha! Dunno, man, if you're chasing the Roland sound, then keep the Juno I guess. But you MUST put your hands on the 08. It's a readily available synth and there is no reason not to give one a test run.

And here is my couldn't help it moment: It should say Prophet + 500 because the way you have it is you'd trade the Juno & 500 for the prophet.
Old 17th May 2012
  #1244
Lives for gear
 
flat earth's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebelfrau View Post
were recommending the Juno as an excellent budget synth.
True, but like the Polysix (which I prefer), 'budget synth' is no longer a word I would associate with either. (both are currently going for way more than they realistically deserve)
Old 17th May 2012
  #1245
Lives for gear
 
Acid Hazard's Avatar
I paid $250 for my Alpha Juno, i don't think that's too much to pay.
Old 17th May 2012
  #1246
Lives for gear
 
nebelfrau's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
True, but like the Polysix (which I prefer), 'budget synth' is no longer a word I would associate with either. (both are currently going for way more than they realistically deserve)
Right. Budget days are long gone. So much so that someone is willing to trade a P08 for a Juno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
I paid $250 for my Alpha Juno, i don't think that's too much to pay.
Not at all, but would you pay $1,200 for a Juno-60?
Old 17th May 2012
  #1247
Lives for gear
 
Acid Hazard's Avatar
Not even close to $1,200 =o] $500 tops. The Juno-6/60 is nice, but not THAT nice.
Old 17th May 2012
  #1248
Lives for gear
 
verve92's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
Trade, don't think, just trade. If you're really THAT connected to that Chorus sound, buy one of the old Boss Chorus racks. Or the newer Behringer Chorus pedal, CD400? It actually doesn't sound that bad!
No, the chorus is not the deal breaker. I have an MXR stereo analog chorus that can literally do anything spanning decades of chorus sounds, I highly recommend if looking for a desert island chorus pedal. Just brilliant!
@Acid: Thats exactly what I paid for mine and love the little sucker. One of these days I will get a BCR for it. I just have a computer editor which I can't seem to get working......
This whole thing is just odd. Maybe he and the P08 didn't hit it off. Why the hell is he willing to trade for a $500 synth like the Juno 60 even though I know a guy who sold his a month ago for $900 on CL?
Then I saw THIS:
Roland Junohttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-Juno-...#ht_812wt_1270
Old 17th May 2012
  #1249
Gear interested
 

yeah, don't think - just trade.

the p08 is hit or miss for a lot of people, but it's absolutely different class of synth, leagues above the junos!

there are a lot of juno 6/60's around. you could buy 3 of them for the cost of a new p08 PE.

why don't you just do the trade, then buy another j60 if you can't live without it?

also that ebay link is absurd money, they'll never be worth more than $500-$700 in mint condition.
Old 17th May 2012
  #1250
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbyp View Post
also that ebay link is absurd money, they'll never be worth more than $500-$700 in mint condition.
Wrong. They sell all the time for more than that. And if his in truly mint I would say it's easily worth $700 or more.
Old 17th May 2012
  #1251
DSK
Lives for gear
 
DSK's Avatar
Do it now!
Old 17th May 2012
  #1252
Lives for gear
 
nebelfrau's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbyp View Post
yeah, don't think - just trade.

the p08 is hit or miss for a lot of people, but it's absolutely different class of synth, leagues above the junos!

there are a lot of juno 6/60's around. you could buy 3 of them for the cost of a new p08 PE.

why don't you just do the trade, then buy another j60 if you can't live without it?

also that ebay link is absurd money, they'll never be worth more than $500-$700 in mint condition.
You need to sit on eBay more. 3 Junos NOW(?!) for a Prophet? Are you high? The MINIMUM I have seen one go for in the last few months has been roughly 800-900USD. Given that a brand new P08 is roughly $2,100, I highly doubt you could turn it around and get three more... Especially since a Prophet's used price will only decline, and a Juno's will rise. Unless the Prophet somehow becomes exceedingly more popular than the Juno.
Old 17th May 2012
  #1253
Lives for gear
 
verve92's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebelfrau View Post
You need to sit on eBay more. 3 Junos NOW(?!) for a Prophet? Are you high? The MINIMUM I have seen one go for in the last few months has been roughly 800-900USD. Given that a brand new P08 is roughly $2,100, I highly doubt you could turn it around and get three more... Especially since a Prophet's used price will only decline, and a Juno's will rise. Unless the Prophet somehow becomes exceedingly more popular than the Juno.
This is exactly what I am afraid of!!
I will be in the city in the next week and will have a person to synth session and see what all the hoopla is about the P08. It seems this cat knows the Juno 60, I just need to know the P08. One question to those familiar is it mono-timbral to the point I cannot play leads over sequences or arps? My one issue with the MEK, bi-timbral like the Oberheim 2 voice would be nice.
What should I expect and/or look for. I do know it is 2 osc per voice, which in my mind equals massive sound.
For those who may not know my musical styles these days its best described as Aphex Twin (ambient era) and Solar Fields-ish stuff.
I am still wrapping my head around the MEK I just picked up.
It seems whenever I ask advice here- you are all dead on right. Well... most of the time
This will be a tough choice indeed.
Old 17th May 2012
  #1254
Lives for gear
 
flat earth's Avatar
In the mean time before you get to play one, you should listen to Keyboardwizards vids. I've played P08 in person and can concur his demos give a good approximation of its sound.

Take a listen at 0:28 & 3:08

Old 17th May 2012
  #1255
Lives for gear
 
dougt's Avatar
 

Pricewise I've seen Juno-60s sell for $1200 and I've seen used P-08s also go for $1200... Typically P-08s go for a bit more than the Juno-60 but I would agree long term the Juno is a classic and will probably hold its value or continue to go up while the P-08 won't...
Old 17th May 2012
  #1256
Lives for gear
 
cdog's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbyp View Post

also that ebay link is absurd money, they'll never be worth more than $500-$700 in mint condition.
With all due respect sir, you havent been paying attention to the used market if you think Juno 60s sell for $500. Maybe broken for parts, lol.

I just sold mine 2 weeks ago for $1100, and it wasnt even mint, I would say excellent at best, maybe vg++ if you were being picky. For that much, I was willing to let it go.

Verve, you are really bugging out of you dont trade it for a P08 PE. Thats a straight up steal man. You can always buy another Juno later. Trust me, you wont regret this.
Old 17th May 2012
  #1257
Gear Addict
 
SynthesizerPatel's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 View Post
This is exactly what I am afraid of!!
I will be in the city in the next week and will have a person to synth session and see what all the hoopla is about the P08. It seems this cat knows the Juno 60, I just need to know the P08. One question to those familiar is it mono-timbral to the point I cannot play leads over sequences or arps? My one issue with the MEK, bi-timbral like the Oberheim 2 voice would be nice.
What should I expect and/or look for. I do know it is 2 osc per voice, which in my mind equals massive sound.
For those who may not know my musical styles these days its best described as Aphex Twin (ambient era) and Solar Fields-ish stuff.
I am still wrapping my head around the MEK I just picked up.
It seems whenever I ask advice here- you are all dead on right. Well... most of the time
This will be a tough choice indeed.
Given your music tastes, just thought I'd post this demo of a sound set I'm thinking of buying for my Prophet. The guy who made it has said he was aiming at a lot of Warp label artists sounds.
Prophet 08 Patches For Sale Full 256 set! - YouTube
Old 17th May 2012
  #1258
Lives for gear
 
the donal's Avatar
I'd say go for the Prophet. But I am very biased and have no experience whatsoever of the Juno.
Old 17th May 2012
  #1259
Lives for gear
If yours is mint I wouldn't sell it as you'll have a hard time getting one later in as good of condition at a good price. P08s can be had any time and they don't hold their value.
Old 17th May 2012
  #1260
Gear Addict
 
SynthesizerPatel's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
P08s can be had any time and they don't hold their value.
They will do, in future, I would think.
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Meriphew / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
20
emvee / Low End Theory
7
AtoM-A / So much gear, so little time
0
sbmayer99 / So much gear, so little time
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump