The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
midi sequencer with keyboard transpose
Old 19th August 2012
midi sequencer with keyboard transpose

I always liked the feature on cv sequencers to "play" sequences on your keyboard, i.e. transposing them on the fly by pressing a key. However, I've never come across any midi sequencers with the same feature. The Geiss digi sequencer prototype that Jarre owns can do it though, around the 5:00 mark he "plays" the sequence with the midi keyboard.

So which other midi sequencers have this ability?
Old 19th August 2012
Lives for gear
Midibox V3 and V4
Old 20th August 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 View Post
Midibox V3 and V4
Thanks for your reply. Those seem to be amazing step sequencers with an incredible amount of features. But alas, DIY.

But surely, there's got to be something else on the market - a small midi tool that may be linked to your sequencer perhaps?
Old 20th August 2012
Gear Nut

Yamaha's (rs7000 and so the rm1x too presumably) can do this if I understand your question correctly.
Old 20th August 2012
Lives for gear

Sequentix P3.
Old 20th August 2012
Gear Nut

i think the mutable instruments midipal can do this but i haven't got it connected up to check. it's a brilliant little box that does so many useful things.
Old 20th August 2012
Lives for gear
I think the doepfer MAQ16 can also transpose via midi keyboard.
Old 20th August 2012
Lives for gear

yes, the rm1x can do it, but as far as i know only via its own mini-keys.
the MFB STEP64 should do it as well.
Old 20th August 2012
Gear Nut

can someone explain - like hold down a key and a pattern plays. hold next key and same pattern just one key up the scale?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarara View Post
can someone explain - like hold down a key and a pattern plays. hold next key and same pattern just one key up the scale?
Yes, but no need for holding the key down though. Very useful...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmus View Post
yes, the rm1x can do it, but as far as i know only via its own mini-keys.
the MFB STEP64 should do it as well.
Hmmm.. I've got a mfb urzwerg pro with cv in but i havent really
tested it with midi...

Of course the ultimate transposer sequencer is the zyklus mps but that is hard to find and expensive as hell if you do
Old 21st August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yamaha's (rs7000 and so the rm1x too presumably) can do this if I understand your question correctly.
No.

You can transpose all your synth/instrument tracks at once (while the drum tracks will not transpose - smart feature) but you can only transpose from the box itself, not from a midi keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frico View Post
i think the mutable instruments midipal can do this but i haven't got it connected up to check. it's a brilliant little box that does so many useful things.
Sees to include some of the featuresof oberheims perf/x series. No keyboard transposer though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Planet View Post
Hmmm.. I've got a mfb urzwerg pro with cv in but i havent really
tested it with midi...
Update. Tested it and no, cv in doesn't work with midi out.
Old 21st August 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
No.

You can transpose all your synth/instrument tracks at once (while the drum tracks will not transpose - smart feature) but you can only transpose from the box itself, not from a midi keyboard.
I see - not something I've seen in a keyboard (drum tracks can be set to transpose on the RS btw)
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see - not something I've seen in a keyboard (drum tracks can be set to transpose on the RS btw)
I actually don't know if the drum tracks can be set to respond to the "global transpose" parameter (quite possible), but of course you can transpose them individually with the "track transpose" knob
(Or you could set up instrument tracks to play drums, in which case the global transpose would work on drum sounds as well, of course. Which occasionally can yield interesting results.)

Anyway, i too would love to have a sequencer where the running sequence can be transposed from a keyboard - it would make it a lot easier to improvise/fool around with playing other stuff over sequences and add a bit of variety.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sees to include some of the featuresof oberheims perf/x series. No keyboard transposer though
From the Perf/x series, Cyclone and Strummer can do sequences with keyboard transpose. In Strummer you can do it even polyphonically as in Zyklus but only one at the time. Zyklus can do 12 independent sequences (monophonic or polyphonic) at the same time.

As a hint, most of the MFB stuff features this damn great feature of keyboard transposion. Synth I / II, Synth Lite 2, MFB sequencers... just to name a few.
Old 21st August 2012
Lives for gear

Doepfer's Dark Time is a fairly reasonably priced option- though it has no memories, it's great for editing on the fly- you can have 2 rows of 8 steps (connected to two different synths) or chain them for 16 steps with the ability to change the sequence length, switch off or skip steps live using the switches.

It will also output notes either with CV or Midi.

Moving into more expensive territory, you've got Analogue Solutions' Oberkorn which has a transpose CV input (and a lot of versatile patching options), but no memories.

I think the Geiss sequencers were matrix based with memory, so Jarre could store parts from different songs- so the bassline for Equinox VII in one memory, against the sequences from Oxygene V in another.

I would have thought the Doepfer MAQ 16/3 or Sequentrix' Cirklon will probably do this too (but have a look at the specs first).
Old 22nd August 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogGuy View Post
From the Perf/x series, Cyclone and Strummer can do sequences with keyboard transpose. In Strummer you can do it even polyphonically as in Zyklus but only one at the time. Zyklus can do 12 independent sequences (monophonic or polyphonic) at the same time.

As a hint, most of the MFB stuff features this damn great feature of keyboard transposion. Synth I / II, Synth Lite 2, MFB sequencers... just to name a few.
Of course the Cyclone and Strummer can do it since they are basically arpeggiators. But is it possible to run an external sequencer through it with all other functions off but the transpose function - so that you may transpose the sequence?

I have an MFB Urzwerg Pro, but the keyboard transpose through midi only works if it is connected to a synthesizer by cv. The midi out is not transposed. I don't know whether this is the case with other MFB stuff as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
Doepfer's Dark Time is a fairly reasonably priced option- though it has no memories, it's great for editing on the fly- you can have 2 rows of 8 steps (connected to two different synths) or chain them for 16 steps with the ability to change the sequence length, switch off or skip steps live using the switches.

It will also output notes either with CV or Midi.

Moving into more expensive territory, you've got Analogue Solutions' Oberkorn which has a transpose CV input (and a lot of versatile patching options), but no memories.
Yes, but what I am looking for is a sequencer with keyboard transpose that works with midi out. I don't think neither of these will allow midi in keyboards to transpose midi out sequences, only those who are connected via cv....
Old 22nd August 2012
Lives for gear

You can do this on the Dark Time- I route a keyboard to it (via Reaper) and use it to control my analogue synths via CV. However, it will also send the notes via MIDI.

If you have a synth with a local off function, you could connect it to the dark time and use the keyboard to transpose the DT's sequences, which in turn are controlling the notes of the synth, all via midi.

The CIRKLON also has midi outs to send note data (and more) to midi synths and I'm pretty sure it can transpose sequences via midi too.

Both of the above also have USB midi on them.

OBERKORN has midi connections, but I know less about this one.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Of course the Cyclone and Strummer can do it since they are basically arpeggiators. But is it possible to run an external sequencer through it with all other functions off but the transpose function - so that you may transpose the sequence?

I have an MFB Urzwerg Pro, but the keyboard transpose through midi only works if it is connected to a synthesizer by cv. The midi out is not transposed. I don't know whether this is the case with other MFB stuff as well?
Strummer and Cyclone are midi processors so of course all the transposions are going thru midi out into external sound source... and I mean sequences, not arpeggiators... you can record your own notes, playback them and transpose them. Run external sequencer thru? What do you mean? Sequencer transposing sequences?

About Urzwerg, that sounds very weird. A very surpising limitation. MFB synths contained build-in step sequencer and you could transpose them with midi, but I think they were not able to send the sequences into midi out for external sequencing.

Quote:
what I am looking for is a sequencer with keyboard transpose that works with midi out.
Strummer and Cyclone does that since they are only midi processors, not sound sources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogGuy View Post
Strummer and Cyclone are midi processors so of course all the transposions are going thru midi out into external sound source... and I mean sequences, not arpeggiators... you can record your own notes, playback them and transpose them. Run external sequencer thru? What do you mean? Sequencer transposing sequences?

About Urzwerg, that sounds very weird. A very surpising limitation. MFB synths contained build-in step sequencer and you could transpose them with midi, but I think they were not able to send the sequences into midi out for external sequencing.

Strummer and Cyclone does that since they are only midi processors, not sound sources.
RE: Urzwerg. Yes, I've sent a mail to Manfred to ask about it, I may have a defect unit.

RE: Cyclone. That sounds great. Now the question is how to get my hands on it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you have two?
Lives for gear

Quote:
RE: Urzwerg. Yes, I've sent a mail to Manfred to ask about it, I may have a defect unit.

RE: Cyclone. That sounds great. Now the question is how to get my hands on it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you have two?
I have the entire Perf/x series... one of each and two units of Navigator.

I would recommend strummer because it's much more common and also cheaper if you can find it. Strummer can do polyphonic transposion which is very rare feature. In otherhand Cyclone can do also 4-independent-arpeggios for very advanced complex stuff, each with own midi channel and other options.

I have the biggest "database" collection of information. Ads, reviews and manuals:

http://www.uusikaupunki.fi/~patalus/...berheim_perfx/
Old 25th August 2012
Update: Got a mail from Mannfred Fricke. Apparently "There is a new update for MIDI transposing available" for the Urzwerg Pro from MFB. But you need to send them the Urzwerg by mail, so I don't know whether I could be bothered....
Old 25th August 2012
Lives for gear

An1x does this, you can create a sequence, latch it, and then either transpose via the keys or use different keys for different sequences (i believe there are 128 available)
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

re: the midipal:

Quote:
I'm playing it as we speak, and it does indeed transpose via midi.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
The CIRKLON also has midi outs to send note data (and more) to midi synths and I'm pretty sure it can transpose sequences via midi too.
The Cirklon does NOT transpose by midi input, yet.

From the Sequentix forum:
Quote:
Re: Transpose by midi controller input

by sequentix Β» Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:25 pm

This isn't possible yet, but it's very near the top of the TBI list.
FYI "sequentix' = Colin Fraser, the designer of the Cirklon
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur View Post
The Cirklon does NOT transpose by midi input, yet.

From the Sequentix forum:

FYI "sequentix' = Colin Fraser, the designer of the Cirklon
Cheers for the correction!
πŸ“ Reply