The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tool Fans and Synth Heads
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Tool Fans and Synth Heads

Just thought either might find this interesting. If im wrong.....oh wellheh This is a description of Daney Carey's vintage synth collection.

From www.toolband.com:

"Okay, for those who are interested, the centerpiece of the collection is a behemoth, museum quality Moog modular system (though the poor guy still needs to find an early model ribbon controller). Having thoroughly examined this patch cord-festooned relic, I can tell you that some of the modules in the pristine wooden console, including voltage controlled oscillators, filters, and the all-important spring reverb unit, are dated circa the late 1960s. This is the analog synthesizer of Isao Tomita, ELP, and Wendy Carlos (as in “A Clockwork Orange). Danny also has a monophonic Mini-Moog Model D with a low serial number (the first vintage keyboard that he bought, and what started all this madness). I know this because it used to be mine, having purchased it (okay, my father did) around 1973. Despite taking it out on the road with the prog-rock band I was in as a teenager, I managed to keep it in great condition until the JANUARY 17, 1994 Northridge earthquake when a meteorite (also given to me by my father) fell on top of it, taking a heart-breaking small chunk out of its natural wood cabinet. The first thing that Danny did after buying it was to have it internally cleaned, calibrated and the oscillators stabilized (the VCOs on the earlier models tended to drift). Afterwards I was somewhat saddened to realize that, as a result of this modification, the ‘trade-off’ was a considerable loss to the ‘richness’ of the modulation (vibrato) when introduced by the left hand control mod wheel. To go along with his Mini, Danny was able to obtain the Moog Sample & Hold unit (however, still no ribbon controller). In addition, there is a later model programmable Memory Moog.

Moving from Moogs to ARPs, the collection contains the flagship model ARP 2600 (the Mini’s main competition in the 1970s). Dubbed the “grey meanie” because of the color of the console, this is the patchable, semi-polyphonic synth that was featured in Edgar Winter’s “Frankenstein”, as R2D2’s (along with other things) sound effects in the early “Star Wars” films, and by Weather Report’s Joe Zawinul with his famous inverted keyboard tricks.

There are LOTS of antique fat-sounding Oberheims in the collection, including a TVS, 2-voice, 4-voice, and 8-voice. (NOTE: for more info about these, see www.dannycarey.org)

All things considered, the main science project in the collection would have to be the ultra-rare Buchla 200 series with its flat, touch-plate (pressure sensitive) keyboard and modules with bizarre sounding names such as “Multiple Arbitrary Function Generator” and my all-time favorite (always makes me smile) “ Source of Uncertainty.”

Also in the category of rare would be his EMS Synthi AKS (two, I believe) and a VCS3 (the sound of Pink Floyd, including the eerie patch from “Echoes.)

There is a Sennheiser vocoder (only a few of these made – that used by Kraftwerk), a Yamaha CS-70, a Jupiter 8, Sequential Circuits Prophet V (I believe it’s the V), and a semi-modular Korg MS series. So there you have it, except for a few odds and ends such as old sequencers, synth bass pedals, Moog drum trigger, etc."

Enjoy!
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Maniac

thanks!
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

That particular Sennheiser Vocoder used to be mine.
Wish I'd never sold it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search