The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Jive rhythm Trax 122bpm (Willesden Dodgers) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 5th July 2012
Gear Maniac

Jive rhythm Trax 122bpm (Willesden Dodgers)

So I was going through my vinyl collection, when I came across this classic:

Now in NYC, this was a huge underground hit back in the early 80's. As an impressionable (punk) kid, the percolating synth line always stuck with me. I recreated this track somewhere in the early 90's using an 808, 303 and a JP8 with some success, but never got that synth line quite right.

Anybody have any idea what the original synth was that the Willesden Dodgers used? I've got some time off coming up and want to take another crack at this track..
Old 6th July 2012
Lives for gear
Sounds Like a Juno 106 or 60
Old 6th July 2012
Gear Maniac

Think so? I've tried a square wave with a resonant "snap" in a high key with a touch of reverb. It was close on a JP8, but I haven't tried a Juno. We have a 106. I wonder if it would sound much different than the JP...
Old 22nd July 2012
Gear Maniac

For whatever it's worth, I finally got this sound using a JP6 and a lexicon reverb. Turns out it was pretty easy, just needed to over drive the resonance enough to get some variation going through the attack of the VCF envelope.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Has anybody else tried to recreate this? Is that a clave with a tight delay and some sort of pitch modulation?
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search