The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
TR-606 with separate audio outs. differences in sound ?
Old 11th June 2012
Gear Nut

TR-606 with separate audio outs. differences in sound ?

hello everyone

I just had my tr606 modded with a kenton 5 audio out kit,
allowing the tr606 to feature separate outputs for each of its drum sounds.

I'm trying to A/B compare the sounds when coming out of the main mono output and out of the dedicated outputs I just had installed.

I compared the sounds in solo (ie when outputting from the main mono out I turned down all of the volume knobs except for the one I was comparing)

I can hear a certain difference, subtle but yet existing:
for example the snare and the hihats they sound more crispy and full of high frequencies when out of their separate outputs than when out of the main mono output.
I'd say they loose a bit of their 'old-skool' flavour when out of the dedicate separate audio outs, making a bit more difficult than I thought to recreate the same groove feeling I have out of the main mono out.

it's not only a matter of levels, there's also something slightly different in the sound quality.

maybe it is something related to the sound path or to the internal 606 mixer giving to the sounds a different charachter?

are you experiencing the same behaviour with your 606s?
Old 11th June 2012
Lives for gear

I'd say its the mixer for sure. I noticed this as well when I had mine and also on other devices that i did similar mods to (monotribe has the same thing happen). Out of curiosity, where does Kenton say to tap the audio signals?
Old 11th June 2012
Gear Head

Like Altitude909 said it is the mixer. Are you using your DAW to mix the individual recordings of the drum sounds? Even If you record single shot drum sounds separately from the main mono output, arrange them in a DAW and then program exactly the same pattern on the TR-606 and record the mix via its main output you will still be able to notice the difference between these two. The individual outputs modification has nothing to do with it, it's the mixing process. When the summing takes place in the drum machine's mixer it sounds more solid in my opinion and more retro also. I guess it's more or less the same difference between mixing a song in the box and mixing it using an analogue mixer. I am not saying that you can't do a good mix in the box but mixing with a console has some advantages depending on the genre one is working on I suppose. Personally I prefer using the TR-606's main output but I can understand why this modification could be useful for some people although I wouldn't do it on mine.

Shadow
Old 11th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodion View Post
are you experiencing the same behaviour with your 606s?
In a nutshell: yes. I've got both a TR-606 and a CR-8000 modified with individual outs, and while these can be useful at times I've mostly gone back to just recording them from the main outputs. The vibe is unquestionably different. I was in denial about it for the longest time, but I feel they sound best when recorded in good old fashioned mono straight from the main jack. What I'll sometimes do is record from both the main and individual outs and then play around with the tracks later.
Old 11th June 2012
Lives for gear

i've noticed a difference in sound on mine too, i just figured since it was done very amateurish that it had something to do with that and maybe the individual outs were funky (they weren't solid by any means that's for sure), i suppose it could make sense that the difference i am hearing is the lack of the internal summing though?

ummm...i don't really use the individual outs often at all, about never, this is ghetto but instead i send the single channel into my daw, i split into 2 channels and have an eq on each, channel one is eq'd so it's just the low end up to a bit over 120 or so hz ramping way down, channel 2 is eq'd the opposite, so i end up with a lo channel, and a mids and hi channel, i then effect those and adjust those levels then bus them right back into each other...again, not the most elegant way but i really dig how it has been working out for me
Old 11th June 2012
Lives for gear

I do that sometimes as well. Another trick is to record some of the individual outs along with the main, and then use them to alter the balance or stereo field. For example, if an instrument is too loud, you can take its individual out track, invert it, and often there will be enough cancelation to bring it down in the mix. It doesn't always work, but often enough it does. These individual out tracks can also be slipped in underneath the main to boost a sound that's been mixed too low. And still another trick is if you want say reverb only on the snare -- which obviously can't be done on the full mix -- you can take just the individual snare out track, send that to the reverb and make it 100% wet. It can then be panned anywhere you like, EQ'd, compressed, whatever. Sounds pretty cool.
Old 11th June 2012
Lives for gear

wish we could +1 "like" give karma or something along those lines to a post
Old 8th November 2016
Gear Maniac
any of you guys knows if this mod is hard to be done ?? i cant find any instructions online and sending it from my country to UK and back for modding would cost me around 120eurs + customs, which is ridiculous for a 20 pound mod..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

noticed same phenomenon on the DRM1 Mk3
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search