The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Best software synth for string quartet
Old 19th September 2009
Gear Nut

The cheap and the inexpensive option

Cheap (Free): +1 for the Cadenza strings soundfont (using SFZ to play it) Try it with a midi file of a string quartet (not contemporary classical) - not bad at all for a mock up with no purchase necessary.

Inexpensive option: Sonivox Strings (DVI). It consists of some of the sounds from their expensive collection - plays great live from a midi keyboard. mp3 sample uploaded - Sonivox Strings (DVI) , Sonivox Les Paul(DVI) and some Native Instrument Intakt Drums. Strings and Les Paul played live one take each from a midi keyboard - enough to give you an idea of the quality. Drums are loops.

And yes I know the timing of the guitar is off - I'm in a hurry and gigging in an hour and a half.
Attached Files

Intro All 01.mp3 (1.13 MB, 396 views)

Last edited by goz211; 19th September 2009 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 20th September 2009
i used some of the usual suspects from mega-huge libraries, for mock-ups only.

but in the finish - only the real players. its a world of difference. not just the tone, the finger, but emotions, and interpretation of four human beings playing , living your music, is lifting it up to a level you can never reach on your own.

if you get a nice room for it, it sits so much better in a mix, in a movie, in a tv commercial, everywhere..

for large orchestra pieces, its smapling, with few solo lines recorded over it. having real orchestra is of course cost prohibitive unless its really a big budget production. however, getting a string quartet isn't that expensive.

i mean, even if you can afford a less than perfect quartet, that hasn't hit big time yet.. its still miles n miles above anything you could pull off with samples.

my 0.02e
Old 20th September 2009
Lives for gear

I have Symphonic Orch Gold and also Symphobia. Combine those and you can get some good results. However, I found some rare samples called Chamber Strings that sound awesome....but I can't remember where and when I got them, but I can put them into Halion and they sound great. I should ue them more but I have so many sounds to choose from I usually forget about those Chamber Strings.
Old 21st September 2009
Lives for gear

For strings i use a combination of IK philharmonik and Spectrasonics Omnisphere heh
Old 21st September 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfarber View Post
If you set on buying samples, check out stuff from the Vienna library. It'll be cheaper to hire a quartet.
...or (ahem) tracked real strings will work out even cheaper than a live quartet

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search