The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha RX Series Drum Machines
Old 16th September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryR ➡️
And why do you think of uses the samples of sine, meander, etc.?
Those might be for testing. The drum waveform ROM in the V50 has sine and square waveforms that can be played in a test mode (this is the only time it plays looped waveforms). The RX17 service manual doesn't mention any test mode, but you may be able to find one by holding 2-3 buttons (like start and stop or yes and no) while powering it on. But doing this might also erase all the memory.

I haven't looked at the ROM that closely yet, but these actually do look like log format waveforms.
Old 16th September 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil ➡️
Those might be for testing
I thought so too, but also not find any mention in the service manual.
Any key combinations have failed.
However, I determined that the keyboard combination Yes+Stop makes a reset.
Old 24th February 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
posting in this thread as to avoid making an unnecessary new one. Just got an RX5 on the cheap. Fully functional and very clean, but no cartridges of any sort. Still getting the hang of it, but I kinda get what kind of instrument it is: it's got all the voice editing and 12 individual outs because it's meant to be processed and screwed with. It's was obviously designed to be the drum machine in a full-fledged studio of the time. Dry, it's humdrum and I get the "80s cheese" remarks (although I personally like that drum sound). But slammed with a compressor? Sounds pretty good and the sounds really cut!! The only thing is that I think that if I really wanted to make the most use of it, I'd have to have a set up with room for 12 outs - and I do not. However, I bought it with the idea that I'd get an MPC1000 with my tax return and just run the RX5 through my various gear and sample it. It's simply too big and too adjustable for my needs, but I'm excited to see what I can do with the sounds on it. I think if you were doing a post punk or goth sorta thing with a drum machine as the main or only sequenced electronic instrument, this would be it without a doubt! I'm not surprised that it's still in use by a lot of contemporary artists - it's a really well-designed piece of equipment. The only other drum machine I've owned was a Boss DR-660 that I accidentally fried and it was great - very easy to get the sounds I liked out of it, but the RX5 has something that the DR660 doesn't. It'll take some work, but the RX5 seems capable of a certain urgency and aggression I'm really excited about.

Anyhow, if anyone happens to have any suggestions or recommendations about the RX5, I'd appreciate it. I'll definitely pick up some cards for it before I sell it.
Old 6th January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 1b6d7f8 ➡️
RX5. It's strange, I've replaced the EPROM and swapped a battery that didn't really need to be changed. Plus a hundred resets and she still just stays at the boot screen.
if i were you i would start from checking the reset circuit - a PST518/520 or what ever it there.

Quote:
I see many enterprising businessmen on various trading floors.
Therefore, I try not to post such materials in the free access.
так они потому и торгуют невозбранно, шо в свободном доступе этого нет. голова два уха.

they are able to trade because you have not made that freely available. smart boy.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuts ➡️
However, I bought it with the idea that I'd get an MPC1000 with my tax return and just run the RX5 through my various gear and sample it.
I think that is the best way to use one. Program custom sounds run it through outboard and sample it. The only benefits you'd get from using the rx5 directly is the reverse button and the tiny mixer, but as a source for new sounds it is very cool. For similar uses, also check out the korg S3. It's the another unique super programmable digital drum machine with a user interface far more cryptic than the rx5, but which beats it for drum sample mangling capabilities.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T150 ➡️
they are able to trade
They are able to trade, but they do not trade, as there is nothing to trade (because I have not made that freely available). Голова - хорошо, а полторы - лучше.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
could knock a house down with an RX5.

Last edited by ibtl; 7th January 2021 at 05:33 AM..
Old 7th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

still have my RX5 and my DDD1
Here for the gear

Quote:
there is nothing to trade (because I have not made that freely available).
i bet that the sales of what is already shared at the known and already mentioned resourse are overwhealming *yawn*

who ever sane would pay for what is lying around for free?
then, who ever sane would really try selling that?
or are you trying to invent some new martian economical basics?

правильный смайл -
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
lying around for free
Why are there so many unnecessary words?
Please give to us a link, where are the sample dumps for RX11?
Is free.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is free.
I have samples of nearly all classic drum machines!
Here for the gear

Quote:
i wonder, what makes them "unnecessary". is it one's unability to comprehend them?

Quote:
Is free.
наша песня хороша, начинай сначала.

*shrug* probably reread the previous unnecessary words untill you start getting what they are about
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
наша песня хороша
Результата - ни шиша.

Quote:
what makes them "unnecessary"
Likely, they do not contain useful information.

Quote:
start getting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGp2K8YhH6o
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuts ➡️
posting in this thread as to avoid making an unnecessary new one. Just got an RX5 on the cheap. Fully functional and very clean, but no cartridges of any sort. Still getting the hang of it, but I kinda get what kind of instrument it is: it's got all the voice editing and 12 individual outs because it's meant to be processed and screwed with. It's was obviously designed to be the drum machine in a full-fledged studio of the time. Dry, it's humdrum and I get the "80s cheese" remarks (although I personally like that drum sound). But slammed with a compressor? Sounds pretty good and the sounds really cut!! The only thing is that I think that if I really wanted to make the most use of it, I'd have to have a set up with room for 12 outs - and I do not. However, I bought it with the idea that I'd get an MPC1000 with my tax return and just run the RX5 through my various gear and sample it. It's simply too big and too adjustable for my needs, but I'm excited to see what I can do with the sounds on it. I think if you were doing a post punk or goth sorta thing with a drum machine as the main or only sequenced electronic instrument, this would be it without a doubt! I'm not surprised that it's still in use by a lot of contemporary artists - it's a really well-designed piece of equipment. The only other drum machine I've owned was a Boss DR-660 that I accidentally fried and it was great - very easy to get the sounds I liked out of it, but the RX5 has something that the DR660 doesn't. It'll take some work, but the RX5 seems capable of a certain urgency and aggression I'm really excited about.

Anyhow, if anyone happens to have any suggestions or recommendations about the RX5, I'd appreciate it. I'll definitely pick up some cards for it before I sell it.
Congratulations! Great purchase!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Результата - ни шиша.
от меня вам балалайка.

Quote:
Likely, they do not contain useful information.
ah, that *yawn*. it was not to contain "usefull information", particularly in one's private understanding of usefulness. it was to enlighten what should be obvious. but forget about that.
Old 8th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
от меня вам балалайка
Намекаете, что Вас зовут - Незнайка?

Quote:
but forget about that.
And I not remember that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm ➡️
Great purchase!
He's probably already sold his device.
Old 8th January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Намекаете, что Вас зовут - Незнайка?
нет, прямо указываю на ваши поэтические ориентиры и отмечаю достижение соответствующих высот)

Quote:
And I not remember that.
i must admit these words were definitelly short. but probably also usefull enough. at least for a reader who's fascinated by runglish gramar and wants more of it anytime just because of one's sence of beauty.
📝 Reply