The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIVA WTF. So i bought diva because the demo was smooth and amazing... BUT....
Old 17th May 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
You lost me at "A lot of VST's".
Haha
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

What about AUs? What about AUs?!
Old 17th May 2012
Gear Addict

So here is a question for you programmers and plugin makers... Is it (or will it) ever be possible to fully replicate analog circuitry in a plugin? DIVA seems to be 95ish % of the way there... Can we get too 100%? If so, when?
Old 17th May 2012 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok Rolles View Post
Zebra is an absolute beast... assuming you know what you're doing with it.
That.

I'm always amazed at the Zebra presets of great sound designers such as Howard Scarr (who did the presets for The Dark Knight btw).

I always think "That is Zebra????... F**** I'm so bad....".
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddhisattva007 View Post
So here is a question for you programmers and plugin makers... Is it (or will it) ever be possible to fully replicate analog circuitry in a plugin? DIVA seems to be 95ish % of the way there... Can we get too 100%? If so, when?
Is it possible?
In theory yes, and in practice we are closer every year.

When will we get at that point for consumer level CPUs?
I'd say between 5 - 10 years. When Diva will be considered a cheap CPU synth, and Super Diva will be eating 70% of the CPU. But that is an almost completely random estimation. heh
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlurker View Post
Like I said then, sloppy programming

No, I think I understand now. Thanks. I realise they're doing something different, and rendering the audio in real-time eats a lot of CPU, just like an advanced video or 3D program would do. I just didn't know what it was, or how it differs from other VST synths emulating analouge equipment, since they're all digital programs at the end of the day. I guess what I've been reacting to is everyone's praise of how good it is, and because it requires so much CPU power it must be like the most advanced VST synth ever made. But then came the 1.1 patch which seems to give the synth almost a 100% speed increase, which made me a bit suspicious. Is it really that advanced, or just poorly programmed. So it just made me curious, 's all.
As a non-programmer, I couldn't care less. It was good before optimization, and it's even better now.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddhisattva007 View Post
In the year 2525 by Zager & Evans - YouTube
Old 18th May 2012
Gear Addict

Have a second PC/laptop to the side to use for hardcore CPU-eating plugs only, run the audio out to your main DAW. You could still use MIDI even if you have the right setup. That's the easy route if you've got a spare computer!
Old 18th May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier View Post
That.

I'm always amazed at the Zebra presets of great sound designers such as Howard Scarr (who did the presets for The Dark Knight btw).

I always think "That is Zebra????... F**** I'm so bad....".
Wait, there were meant to be free presets with the Dark Knight?

Right, i'm straight on to the cinema tomorrow.
Old 18th May 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckoo.old View Post
As a non-programmer, I couldn't care less. It was good before optimization, and it's even better now.
this 100%. I was sold on DIVA during public beta. Had it not changed at all, I would have still been satisfied but the U-he track record shows there was no chance in hell DIVA was going to be stagnant.
Old 9th August 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
Zebra also sounds bad in comparison to Diva. I think Zebra sounds thin / flat / hollow. I've tried the demo many times and I just don't like it, but I do love Diva and Tyrell.
I also felt the same after having DIVA for a while, however I set the sample rate to 96k when using Zebra and it sounded much better.

Have you tried this?

Everyone probably knows already but the new Dark Knight Zebra has Diva filters. I don't know if they run in zero feedback though.
Old 9th August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
You can't really say it's poorly coded when it might be the best C++ code every, but doing it in C++ made it slower than assembly would just because it's C++.
A compiler outputs assembler code. The only way that a program for a modern cpu would perform more efficiently written in x86 sse assembler than in C++ would be if the programmer understood a more optimized algorithm for implementing a particular task than the people who wrote the libraries and the compiler. X86 assember, even without SSE is a PITA. Writing an application straight into assembler hasn't really been practical since 68k was a viable cpu platform.
Old 10th August 2012
Gear Addict

From what I understand, Diva started as a kind of experiment or "proof of concept". Then when he realized it was actually turning into a usable instrument, decided to release it.

It's definitely different from your typical VA - I guess you could call it inefficient, since it's a very computationally expensive way to generate sound, even with optimized code.

However, the OP is clearly experiencing some kind of technical issue and should contact U-HE directly. A Core i7 Quad, even at just 2.3 GHz should be enough for polyphonic playing at the Divine setting, provided multi-threading is enabled. When using it in a an actual song it might be a good idea to freeze the track or temporarily switch to a faster/lower quality mode in order to free up the CPU for other instruments and effects.
Old 10th August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet View Post
No, it's just to register the demo and you'll ready to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.
Ali would be proud!
Lives for gear

Question : Does Dark Knight Zebra use the exact same Zebra 2 synth architecture/engine, but has different GUI, and custom Presets, or is it a completely different version of Zebra 2 as far as the synth Filters/architecture/engine are concerened ?

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Question : Does Dark Knight Zebra use the exact same Zebra 2 synth architecture/engine, but has different GUI, and custom Presets, or is it a completely different version of Zebra 2 as far as the synth Filters/architecture/engine are concerened ?

Thanks,
Muziksculp
It's exactly the same engine but with a few added goodies like th DIVA filters and a resonator module.
The UI is the same ( although different skin ) but with additional tabs for the DIVA filters at the bottom.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysander View Post
It's exactly the same engine but with a few added goodies like th DIVA filters and a resonator module.
The UI is the same ( although different skin ) but with additional tabs for the DIVA filters at the bottom.
Thanks for the feedback.

I wonder if the 'Diva' Filters make a huge difference compared to 'Zebra 2' without these filters ?

Basically, I'm trying to evaluate if it is worth buying 'Dark Knight Zebra' , given that I have 'Zebra 2' ?

Actually, It would be cool if 'Zebra 2' got those 'Diva' filters via a future 'Zebra 2' update.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
That's just, like, your opinion, dude. It certainly doesn't sound thing, flat, nor hollow.
I agree, I've used alot of synths, and Zebra, does not sound thin! i actually find it the opposite
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

I wonder if the 'Diva' Filters make a huge difference compared to 'Zebra 2' without these filters ?

Basically, I'm trying to evaluate if it is worth buying 'Dark Knight Zebra' , given that I have 'Zebra 2' ?

Actually, It would be cool if 'Zebra 2' got those 'Diva' filters via a future 'Zebra 2' update.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
IMO yes they make a huge difference. In particular you can add some crazy analogue dirt / resonance which might be the one thing missing from Zebra.
They also make a huge difference on your CPU though so a good machine is required to take advantage of them.
Urs has stated that future updates of Zebra will get filters of the same quality ( analogue modelled. zero delay feedback etc ) but not identical to Diva ones.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysander View Post
IMO yes they make a huge difference. In particular you can add some crazy analogue dirt / resonance which might be the one thing missing from Zebra.
They also make a huge difference on your CPU though so a good machine is required to take advantage of them.
Urs has stated that future updates of Zebra will get filters of the same quality ( analogue modelled. zero delay feedback etc ) but not identical to Diva ones.
New filter feature in a future Zebra 2 update would be Awesome !

Thanks for the additional feedback,

Muziksculp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunnel View Post
Have a second PC/laptop to the side to use for hardcore CPU-eating plugs only, run the audio out to your main DAW. You could still use MIDI even if you have the right setup. That's the easy route if you've got a spare computer!
Good tip.

I do that already for old PCI hardware (UAD1 and Powercore) and I have also a Macmini to be able to run Mac-only software (Logic). Plus a dual-core laptop to help my i7 cope. Treat the external laptop as a hardware synth.
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Urs has probably answered all this somewhere, but from memory I think it goes like this:

The point of the Dark Knight Zebra is the 400 presets designed for Hanz Zimmer. He has a special version of Zebra with Diva filters etc.

This is not an updated Zebra 2 but a special version.

Zebra 3 is on the way, I don't think this year but I could be wrong. I don't know if it will get Diva filters, but it's quite likely it will.

There is likely a very good deal for those who own this extra version of Zebra to upgrade to Zebra 3 when it comes out, Urs sort of explained this on a thread in KVR.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav View Post
Urs has probably answered all this somewhere, but from memory I think it goes like this:

The point of the Dark Knight Zebra is the 400 presets designed for Hanz Zimmer. He has a special version of Zebra with Diva filters etc.

This is not an updated Zebra 2 but a special version.

Zebra 3 is on the way, I don't think this year but I could be wrong. I don't know if it will get Diva filters, but it's quite likely it will.

There is likely a very good deal for those who own this extra version of Zebra to upgrade to Zebra 3 when it comes out, Urs sort of explained this on a thread in KVR.
Thanks for the feedback.

I just got Dark Knight Zerbra ! and Urs has replied to my question, and provided some cool feedback about the future products. (Zebra 3 in Q1/2013)

Here is the link of the thread at KVR forum : KVR: Dark Zebra - Amazona says Best Buy!
Old 10th August 2012
Lives for gear

I thought I had heard Zebra 3 would have Diva filters?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrosonus View Post
Nope cf kvr thread and comments above.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrosonus View Post
Not Diva filters exactly but technology used in Diva filters. If you want Diva filters in Zebra, I'm afraid it looks like the only way is ZebraHZ and it's not as thorough an integration as it could be.

That being said, I'm certain Zebra 3 is going to straight up kick some ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
Not Diva filters exactly but technology used in Diva filters. If you want Diva filters in Zebra, I'm afraid it looks like the only way is ZebraHZ and it's not as thorough an integration as it could be.

That being said, I'm certain Zebra 3 is going to straight up kick some ass.
Yes it's somewhat more complex than that

📝 Reply