The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
tr-606 sync issue: is it possible to set a clock scaling ?
Old 16th May 2012
Gear Nut

tr-606 sync issue: is it possible to set a clock scaling ?

hello forum members

I just received a tr-606 and I'm trying to sync it with cubase.
I have a midi to din sync adaptor from touchprone that works perfectly with my 202.

BUT when using it with the tr-606 I can get the 606 to receive start and stop messages. also if I change the tempo in cubase I can get the tempo on the tr-606 to change, but not at the right bpm. the 606 always runs at a faster bpm than the one in cubase.

it seems like the clock scaling or something similar is wrong.

did any of you experienced a similar issue?
any possible solution?

thanks a lot!
Old 16th May 2012
Gear Nut

dumb question, problem solved: found my way to make it work.
thnx anyway
happy syncing !
Old 16th May 2012
mha
Gear Head

Why not post your solution here, and maybe help others in the future?
Old 16th May 2012
Gear Nut

of course, here we go:

you have to run the 606 in pattern write mode, then while it is running in external sync you have to set the scale to 1, then you hold the function button pressed and press the write button. voilà. in this way the 606 sets its clock divide correctly.

hope this will help
Old 17th May 2012
mha
Gear Head

Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodion View Post
of course, here we go:

you have to run the 606 in pattern write mode, then while it is running in external sync you have to set the scale to 1, then you hold the function button pressed and press the write button. voilà. in this way the 606 sets its clock divide correctly.

hope this will help
nice one, knowing me ill need some day!
Old 17th May 2012
Gear Nut

everybody needs a 606 !
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

Sounds to me like the pattern memory just had a different time scale memorised.

So if the time scale switch was set to 16ths when you pressed the function key whilst in write mode you simply changed the memorised settings for that pattern. On my one i have to move the time scale switch before it actually registers the change.

The manual is available online and is relatively easy to understand, easier than the manual for the mc202!

@OP in your case the 606 WAS set correctly to another time scale for the pattern you had selected, it just wasn't the time scale that you needed....ie. there was nothing wrong as such with the 606.

BTW if you want to play around with the time scalings and have your loops occur in the same 'time frame' combine time scaling with pattern length changes.
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
dumb question, problem solved: found my way to make it work.
thnx anyway
happy syncing !
ah..the little sync switch in the back..easy to oversee that little switch..
when you dont switch the 606 to be a slave it cant recieve start commands.. and of cause runs on its internal clock..
Old 15th May 2016
Hi slutz... I know I'm resurrecting a really old thread... anyway: got my hands on a TR-606 and I'm facing issues with tempo.
First of all, when turning the tempo knob all to the right (FAST) I get bpm of about 115 bpm - nothing more!
I already set the scale to "1" but it doesn't change.
Any help on this?
Thanks and regards,
Flavio.
Old 15th May 2016
For the Tempo issue, do you have sync set to in or out? For the scale issue: make sure sequencer is running in write mode, hold down Function button and hit step 16 for your last step. If there is no batteries in it (at least with mine) after a couple days, the patterns all will have random data and the last step will be set to 4 instead of 16. So in write mode with sequencer stopped, hold down the pattern you are on and clear, that will wipe the data, then set the last step with it running as I said above.
Old 15th May 2016
Hi and thanks for your reply.
Sync is set to "output".
For the scale issue: I put the TR-606 in "write mode", sequencer not running. I then selected "scale 1" and also set the last step with the "function + step 16" combination.
Still, with tempo knob on "fast", maximum 115 BPM get reached...

Any other suggestions?
F.
Old 15th May 2016
you have to set scale and last step while it is running in write mode while holding down the Function button.
Old 15th May 2016
Did exactly what's being shown in this video - thanks for sharing though.
You can see that it is running (Run/Battery LED on), that tempo knob is half-way between slow and fast, that pattern write mode is active and the scale is set to 1. What cannot be seen from this pic, but has been done, is that the pattern length is 16 steps.

On my other TR-606 (which has Quicksilver mod, but this shouldn't alter its behavior related to scale setting and BPMs) I can set scale to 1, 16 steps for pattern length and with the same tempo knob setting I get around 142 BPM - with "Fast" I get 318 BPM. On the first (problematic) TR-606 I get 115 BPM with "fast", and in the middle I get 78 BPM...

What is wrong here?
F.
Old 15th May 2016
I think you may have a bad pot or internal clock. Have you tried din syncing to something else?
Old 15th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloturner View Post
I think you may have a bad pot or internal clock. Have you tried din syncing to something else?
You got a good suggestion!
I tried DinSync from ZAQuencer through Doeper's MSY-2 and it works perfectly (I tried from 80 BPM up to over 200 BPM)!
So what's the best guess? Tempo pot or internal clock?
How may I find out?

Thanks!
F.
Old 15th May 2016
Man I am not sure. If the pot is working at all, I would think it is perhaps something internal like a resistor. You may ask around here on Gearslutz. I am in no way an electrical engineer, but the fact that it works somewhat, suggests its more than likely a simple component that has failed. Glad you at least have somewhat limited use of it in the meantime. Well who uses a drum machine on its own anyway. I always run mine synced anyway.
Old 15th May 2016
I know that mainly the drum machine(s) get synced, but imagine a "freestyle" jam, with like nothing else than a TB-303 and a TR-606: I'd be syncing the TB-303 to the TR-606, but with this poor clock I wouldn't be happy at all!

Thanks so far and BR,
Flavio.
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Nut

Hi
Sorry for raising this thread but
I got exactly the same issue with my 606, very slow tempo.
So did you manage to fix yours?
Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavioB View Post
I know that mainly the drum machine(s) get synced, but imagine a "freestyle" jam, with like nothing else than a TB-303 and a TR-606: I'd be syncing the TB-303 to the TR-606, but with this poor clock I wouldn't be happy at all!

Thanks so far and BR,
Flavio.
Old 22nd February 2017
Honestly I don't remember how - but I don't have that issue anymore :-/
Maybe it's related to my TR-606 being modded with Quicksilver?
F.
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Nut

Oh gosh , I was hoping you know how to fix it.. I don't know much about quicksilver, I just want it to work

Quote:
Honestly I don't remember how - but I don't have that issue anymore :-/
Maybe it's related to my TR-606 being modded with Quicksilver?
F.
Old 22nd February 2017
Did you follow the suggestions found in this thread? The video?
Otherwise I could check when at home and report back...

BR,
Flavio.
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
of course, here we go:

hope this will help
Wow - I totally had this issue today with a new TR-606 - many thanks for sharing the fix!!
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by afewster View Post
Wow - I totally had this issue today with a new TR-606 - many thanks for sharing the fix!!
Did you have the slow tempo problem? I never managed to fix mine, what exactly did you do?
Old 16th July 2019
Set the 606 to WRITE PATTERN mode, hold the FUNCTION key and move the SCALE setting to 1... or 2 for double-time... sounds like your 606 is in scale 2 or 4.

from the manual...
Quote:
(in WRITE PATTERN mode) while the Rhythm is running (my italics), set the SCALE selector (I) switch to 1 and press the FUNCTION button (J). You have just set up a scale in which the quarter note will consist of four steps (each step corresponding to one sixteenth note).
Old 7th February 2020
Gear Nut

Question about running the 606 as sync-slave:

Do you notice clock ticks bleed into the audio signal? I'm asking this because I was thinking about buying a MIDI to Sync converter to get accurate tempo on the 606. But I would not want to do this at the cost of having a sequence of clock pulses in my audio signal. What are your experiences?
Old 7th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWagner View Post
Question about running the 606 as sync-slave:

Do you notice clock ticks bleed into the audio signal? I'm asking this because I was thinking about buying a MIDI to Sync converter to get accurate tempo on the 606. But I would not want to do this at the cost of having a sequence of clock pulses in my audio signal. What are your experiences?
Hi Frank.
Now that I read your message, I remember that my 606, which runs on Social Entropy's Quicksilver CPU, is "ticking" into the audio path. I need to double-check this - let me get back to you!

F.
Old 7th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi Frank.
Now that I read your message, I remember that my 606, which runs on Social Entropy's Quicksilver CPU, is "ticking" into the audio path. I need to double-check this - let me get back to you!

F.
Thanks for your reply, Flavio! It's sad to hear that even a Quicksilver mod (which I would have considered to install if still available) has this flaw.

I guess I will scrap my plan to make any mod.

If I think about it: Do I really need a tempo sync option? Probably not. My production workflow is still based on overdubbing. I will simply keep on setting the 606 to an approximated BPM value, record it and then adjust the tempo of my DAW to it. Problem solved.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWagner View Post
Thanks for your reply, Flavio! It's sad to hear that even a Quicksilver mod (which I would have considered to install if still available) has this flaw.

I guess I will scrap my plan to make any mod.

If I think about it: Do I really need a tempo sync option? Probably not. My production workflow is still based on overdubbing. I will simply keep on setting the 606 to an approximated BPM value, record it and then adjust the tempo of my DAW to it. Problem solved.
Hi Frank - sorry for my late reply.
I tried to verify the bleed-through yesterday, but I did not hear it anymore. Maybe because I'm using DinSync and not MIDI to sync?!

If you need to sync your TR-606, use DinSync - in general I use DinSync wherever possible.

BR,
F.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi Frank - sorry for my late reply.
I tried to verify the bleed-through yesterday, but I did not hear it anymore. Maybe because I'm using DinSync and not MIDI to sync?!

If you need to sync your TR-606, use DinSync - in general I use DinSync wherever possible.
Thanks for your reply, Flavio! Good to hear your's is sounding clean.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other devices giving DIN sync signal. So I would have to get a MIDI-to-Sync converter box to clock the 606. If this bleed signal is introduced by MIDI I'm not sure if I'd be free from it if my clock signal originally comes from a MIDI device.

But in the meanwhile, I became fine with not syncing the 606. Here's what I do to adjust the tempo: I use one of the trigger outs as audio signal and run a sequence while the metronome in my Cubase is ticking. This way I can get set the tempo on the 606 very precisely. Unlike what some users wrote in forums, the clock of my 606 is very stable. If I get to match the tempo for about a 20 seconds play, I can be sure it will not notably drift. But anyway: the 606 is my only outboard device with its own clock so i will keep adjusting my DAW tempo to it when my project goes finish.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search