The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Blofeld desktop users....a question....
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Blofeld desktop users....a question....

How can you make the the Blofeld desktop "drone" (infinite sustain)? On the keyboard version, I see there is the "free button" which can be set to latched sustain. In fact, the desktop version has this setting its in OS....but alas, no button! Most synths, I have found, have a way to cause the synth to drone/sustain, without resorting to masking tape on the incoming controller keyboard. Perhaps its an envelope/gate setting, such as on a Voyager, or most DSI synths (VCA level). I've been working with the Blofeld for a few weeks now and I have yet to find such a setting. Does Blofeld desktop respond to CC Sostenuto? Any tricks in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
How can you make the the Blofeld desktop "drone" (infinite sustain)? On the keyboard version, I see there is the "free button" which can be set to latched sustain. In fact, the desktop version has this setting its in OS....but alas, no button! Most synths, I have found, have a way to cause the synth to drone/sustain, without resorting to masking tape on the incoming controller keyboard. Perhaps its an envelope/gate setting, such as on a Voyager, or most DSI synths (VCA level). I've been working with the Blofeld for a few weeks now and I have yet to find such a setting. Does Blofeld desktop respond to CC Sostenuto? Any tricks in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
The desktop definitely responds to CC 64 or else a sustain pedal would not work. If you are using a controller just define one of the buttons/pads as a toggle of CC 64 so each time you hit it it changes state.

If this is too much trouble then just put a book on your sustain pedal ;-)
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsiegel View Post
The desktop definitely responds to CC 64 or else a sustain pedal would not work. If you are using a controller just define one of the buttons/pads as a toggle of CC 64 so each time you hit it it changes state.

If this is too much trouble then just put a book on your sustain pedal ;-)
Thanks for your response. I sure was hoping for something more elegant than this....inside the architecture of the Blofeld. Blofeld, as most Waldorf synths, are uniquely suited for drone and ambient type soundscapes. Having some sort of gate switch or VCA level parameter would be huge here. Of course, they DID think of it, on the BloKey version. And it bugs me that its IN the BloDesktop version settings, but apparently not accessible in the case of the desktop version. I wish they made it addressable in a "soft" way. Anyways, sometimes there can be other tricks in opening up or bypassing envelopes, etc., none of which are working for me here. So I guess a "book on your sustain pedal" may have to be it....which is of course pretty cheesy in implementation. Thanks again.
Old 7th May 2012
Gear Maniac

i fancy one of these.... i'm so used to vsts though, and i hate menus but i quite fancy something cheap and small...

how is it more fm sounds?
Old 24th November 2015
Deleted User
Sorry to be a few thousand years late on the reply. I just came across this post via an unrelated google search.

It really is all too easy.
On the amplitude envelope set release=127
in a mod matirx, set maximum +63 amplitude envelope release.
done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

Thanks!
Old 12th February 2016
Here for the gear
Also coming in years too late, but in the Blofeld manual, CC 66 literally says "sostenuto" so I'm assuming this is what you're after, where the you can play bass notes that sustain and play in the upper register without the notes sustaining. Sorry if I'm too late.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Sorry to be a few thousand years late on the reply. I just came across this post via an unrelated google search.

It really is all too easy.
On the amplitude envelope set release=127
in a mod matirx, set maximum +63 amplitude envelope release.
done.
I am also sorry to be late on this reply, but I am in the same situation, trying to make my Blofeld desktop sustain infinitly.

As I am quite a beginner, I don't understand the explaination with the mod matrix (see above): I thought a mod matrix always needs:

1. Source
2. Amount
3. Destination

So, in this case the destination is the amplitude envelope release, the amount is +63, right? - but what is the source?
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Maniac

The Constant (source), +63 (amount) to Destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaivd View Post
I am also sorry to be late on this reply, but I am in the same situation, trying to make my Blofeld desktop sustain infinitly.

As I am quite a beginner, I don't understand the explaination with the mod matrix (see above): I thought a mod matrix always needs:

1. Source
2. Amount
3. Destination

So, in this case the destination is the amplitude envelope release, the amount is +63, right? - but what is the source?
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Head

Ahh, I see, it's named MAXIMUM.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search