The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland JP8000 Classic or tragic? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

The JP8000 has a better interface.
The AN1X has a better sound.

I would like to have an AN1X with a JP8000 interface :D
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Made this song using 10 patches I created myself. The JP8000's interface makes it a breeze.

My unit originally toured with Shania Twain back when she was world famous. It's now quite temperamental with some scratchy switchgear and the Amp pot is so wobbly, it's like a mini joystick. Despite the synth being wounded, it can still make some nice sounds.

I'll call it a classic
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Mine is definitely a tragedy at the moment, tucked away behind my dresser with a busted key and a dead battery gathering dust. Keep debating whether or not it's worth it to restore and and take up a massive amount of space in my set up.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

One of the fun things about GS is seeing these older threads brought back to sudden popularity; somebody finds a new angle, and a new discussion begins.

I bought the JP-8080 last year by accident --thinking it was what the Boutique JP-08 was imitating ... I've learned quite a bit more since then At least I was correct when I got a D-50, instead of a D-05. Fortunately the recent acquisition of the System-8 covered me on my Boutique losses

Anyway, it's a surprise to me that the JP-8080 is considered a classic, or the definitive sound of a particular style. Another thing I've learned.

I haven't found it to be like the System-8 -- which shows how subjective any one person's experience is. Or maybe how new I am to synths. Maybe with more experience I will think so too? Or maybe I'm just thrown off psychologically by all the glowing green lights
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I most surely think the 8000 is a classic VA. Many of Roland's synths/products since have included it. And even other brands have reproduced the supersaw in there products as well. Anytime an instrument creates a sound that was unique to it at the time and then sought after in the future, it becomes a classic in my mind. Roland has many of these type of products from their past.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

IMHO it's a classic with tragic amounts of aliasing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
IMHO it's a classic with tragic amounts of aliasing.
No argument there. I had to sculpt carefully but I still enjoyed using it.

Build quality wise, I think Roland was inspired by GM car interiors from that era...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Agreed, it's a very good machine if you work within it's limitations. I'm reluctant to retire it.
Old 4 weeks ago
JDN
Lives for gear

I got a mint JP8080 a cpl years ago and love it, its interface is inspiring, sound is pretty good but it's all about programming your own on this one, and it's a way better build than the jp8000 with some cool extra features.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search