The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trentemoller sound design
Old 24th April 2012
Gear Maniac

Trentemoller sound design

Loving the percussion on this track... Especially those deep clicks audible at around 1:30. Anybody know how to synthesize these? How to add a similiar flavor to my own percussion, or does this guy use samples? Smart bass layering?

See I'm a bit lost here, any help would be appreciated :-)
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Maniac

Anyone?
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

I'd be interested to learn a little about this as well. He's always got some freaky-deaky electronic percussion that really 'in your face.'

Not sure how he synthesizes them if he does, but I'm sure he's compressing the hell out of them to make them pop like that.

I get the feeling stuff like that is done with extreme lfo settings on oscillator pitch similar to making a kick drum, just at higher frequencies. Or perhaps using high resonance settings on a low pass filter and setting the amp evelope to really fast attack and quick decay times to get zaps. White noise and volume/filter envelopes?

just a guess

frank
Old 25th April 2012
My first guess would be Logic's Sculpture, you can do those organic ultrasharp percussions and plucks easily with it. Then add ambience verb and a short delay maybe.
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Reaktor.

There are at least a couple of ensembles from memory that will generate all manner of these kind of 'micro' sounds. Record a minute of it, chop bits out that you like, quantize the clicks to a grid, rearrange at your leisure. Et voila...

Now watch a bunch of mnml producers get mad at me for revealing their secret :P
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Maniac

his Gear list during the time of this release (stolen from a KVR post :-))

Software:

Acid Pro 5.0
Sound Forge 7.0
Korg legacy collection
M-tron super pack

Hardware:
Micro Korg
Virus Indigo
Kaosspad 1 &2
Focusrite Compounder
SPL Transient Designer

Possibly synthesized them with a virus?

Or he's omitted his uses of vengeance minimal symple packs???

Anyhow, I'm gassing at a virus anyway... got no outboard Synth whatsoever as of now :-(
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Virus is a distinct possibility, actually. You hear a lot of that sort of stuff in Tipper's work and the TI is his main axe.
Old 25th April 2012
Oh yeah... Transient Designer can deliver a pluck like no compressor can. Love it to death heh
Old 26th April 2012
I just gotta say... This guy is awesome.
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

shows how important it is to be a genius and not just have particular gear...I was never able to coax anything remotely Trentemoller-esque from my Virus...! Reaktor I can understand....

I think you could give Trentemoller a laptop and a copy of Reason and he could make something amazing...
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

i'm only able to listen to the youtube clip on small speakers, but would you say that these sounds are in the ballpark?

(obviously the beat/style is very different...)

EDIT: hmm, how are you able to get the little file player when uploading an audio attachment?
Attached Files

clickkkkkk.wav (1.35 MB, 2948 views)

Old 26th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNovember7 View Post
I just gotta say... This guy is awesome. Hexspa is me. Getting ready to release more tracks. .....
dear Captain,
please remove and use the appropriate forum for that?
Post your (electronic music) here! - Gearslutz.com
Old 27th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
dear Captain,
please remove and use the appropriate forum for that?
Post your (electronic music) here! - Gearslutz.com
It's gone.
Old 29th April 2012
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid View Post
Reaktor.

There are at least a couple of ensembles from memory that will generate all manner of these kind of 'micro' sounds. Record a minute of it, chop bits out that you like, quantize the clicks to a grid, rearrange at your leisure. Et voila...

Now watch a bunch of mnml producers get mad at me for revealing their secret :P
Such as?
Old 5th May 2012
Gear Addict

Transient Designer

thats the key , that and really good creative imaginaton.
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
i'm only able to listen to the youtube clip on small speakers, but would you say that these sounds are in the ballpark?

(obviously the beat/style is very different...)

EDIT: hmm, how are you able to get the little file player when uploading an audio attachment?
Yes, that's accurate...for that I just use a sin wave with a super short filter/amp envelope followed by something to give it motion like a phaser or flanger. The new goldbaby urban samplepack also has some click grooves that I sliced and use on its own.

Edit: How did you make your loop?
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekohler View Post
How did you make your loop?
it's actually some TR-606 samples that somehow got corrupted inside the Machinedrum-UW. i had been playing around with them earlier that day, so when this thread popped up later i thought the sounds in that track sounded a bit similar. i quickly recorded a loop and posted it up.

really though, the sounds in that Trentemoller track don't sound synthesized to me much at all. they sound more "organic", like the snap/crackle/pop from a vinyl record or something. they definitely have a sample vibe to them. very easy to get all sorts of clicks by trimming samples very short.

then again, you might be able to get those sounds from a synth with the envelope closed pretty much all the way down.
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear

great guy. I think he has a firm grasp on how to program reverb because it is always one of the things that strike me in his music.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search