The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland MC-202
Old 23rd April 2012 | Show parent
  #31
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by codenamerofl View Post
I wouldn't call that stupid at all man, you can tab out your basslines in logic, and then once you have the bassline completed and going to the chord progression, enter in all the bassline data into the 202 manually. Then just mute the track that is controlling the bassline in logic. then tweak away
Yeah that could work.....thanks never thought of that..

So you saying just try make the 202 bassline fit with all my other tracks in Logic right?
Old 23rd April 2012 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
You have a 909 as well? Try this. Out from one of the 202 sync ports in to the sync port on the 909. Now you should be able to get them to play together. It may take a bit of poking around. You will need to set the mode on the 909 correctly. Unfortunately Roland didn't included a sync out on the 909. But hey now your one set closer to jamming out with things hooked up together and thats the point at the end of the day. Now you can record the 909 and a bassline from the 202 going in together.
Hey man I have TR 909 also, and again I only sample it. However lately I have noticed I am missing out on all the funk coming from these machines, so all I want is to record them into Logic and have them syncing with all my other gear. At the momoent they just sit there looking pretty.
I tried syncing my 909 via Logic as I do with my Akai MPC but man no go. You know 909 slave Logic master, press play on Logic and bam.
I spent a few hours trying this out yesterday but no luck. The 909 does have midi in and out so hey here is a start.
Nice idea above............

Man so does this mean I will need a box from Kenton for the 909 also to get it syncing with Logic like my MPC?
Ahhhh Old Roland gear, sounds bad ass$ but so much pain..
Ahh should all be worth it one day!
Old 23rd April 2012 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Hey man I have TR 909 also, and again I only sample it. However lately I have noticed I am missing out on all the funk coming from these machines, so all I want is to record them into Logic and have them syncing with all my other gear. At the momoent they just sit there looking pretty.
I tried syncing my 909 via Logic as I do with my Akai MPC but man no go. You know 909 slave Logic master, press play on Logic and bam.
I spent a few hours trying this out yesterday but no luck. The 909 does have midi in and out so hey here is a start.
Nice idea above............

Man so does this mean I will need a box from Kenton for the 909 also to get it syncing with Logic like my MPC?
Ahhhh Old Roland gear, sounds bad ass$ but so much pain..
Ahh should all be worth it one day!
If you want the funk (slop) from these machines you should let them run on there own clock. That means hook up the 202 to the 909. Then put a synth or sampler on the external instrument feature of the 909 and program something to play along. Then record that into your DAW and build off that.

I think a lot of problems can be avoided by not trying to sync computers and hardware.
Old 23rd April 2012 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
If you want the funk (slop) from these machines you should let them run on there own clock. That means hook up the 202 to the 909. Then put a synth or sampler on the external instrument feature of the 909 and program something to play along. Then record that into your DAW and build off that.

I think a lot of problems can be avoided by not trying to sync computers and hardware.
Research, experiment, create!
Old 21st July 2012
  #35
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Might seem like a silly question as I have just started to consider recording my hardware gear; the Pro one and 202 to be precise.
Could any of you more experienced folk help me out, I'm looking to record them into Cubase. I've got a couple of midi cables and TRS jacks and an Audio Interface...Now what?! aha
Any help would be appreciated!
Old 24th July 2012 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune.Teller23 View Post
Might seem like a silly question as I have just started to consider recording my hardware gear; the Pro one and 202 to be precise.
Could any of you more experienced folk help me out, I'm looking to record them into Cubase. I've got a couple of midi cables and TRS jacks and an Audio Interface...Now what?! aha
Any help would be appreciated!
you detune them and then profit. you connect the CV out of the 202 to the Pro One, program a sequence in channel 1 and then one in 2. then record the audio out of the 202 and pro one into your computer.

if that doesn't work, read the 202 manual. it's all over the innerwebs.
Old 7th November 2012 | Show parent
  #37
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
..bump this thread with a question
If you're slaving the MC-202 to external dinsync does it spit out the sync input to the two dinsync outputs? or are the outputs only good for the internal clock (MC-202 as master)?
Old 8th November 2012 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by azone View Post
..bump this thread with a question
If you're slaving the MC-202 to external dinsync does it spit out the sync input to the two dinsync outputs? or are the outputs only good for the internal clock (MC-202 as master)?
I just tested this for you. I have my Cirklon(master) sending DINsync to the 202 then to the 909. It works, the 909 receives from either port, I tried both.
Old 8th November 2012 | Show parent
  #39
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
ok thanks!
Old 20th December 2012
  #40
Here for the gear
 
Pauly2929's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Has anybody had the Kenton CV gate retro fit kit fitted to the 202... Apparently it bypasses the internal sequencer for slaving off a 303?
Old 20th December 2012 | Show parent
  #41
Lives for gear
 
schmuck's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly2929 View Post
Has anybody had the Kenton CV gate retro fit kit fitted to the 202... Apparently it bypasses the internal sequencer for slaving off a 303?
the kenton kit is just an additional CV/Gate/Slide/FilterFM that bypasses the internal CPU. Everything else stays the same. This is because the original CV ins go through the CPU and are always quantised, which sounds sloppy in some circumstances (in others it is still fine really depends).

If you want to slave the 202 sequencer, the Kenton kit has nothing to do with it - the external clock will just trigger it whether you have the external ins or not.

If you want to play the 202 from external (and I realise now that is probably what you said - use the 303 sequencer to play the 202 synth - sorry), then the kenton ins are better because of no quantisation. But the stock ones would work as well, just not as "tight" which is not always a huge problem.
Old 21st December 2012
  #42
Here for the gear
 
Pauly2929's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Again thanks for the multiple replies, I tried the 303 into the 202 and its the slides that do not work properly, assume that's the sequencer quantising.... Will play with it some more but will take the advise on Kenton fitting the mods.... Cheers
Old 22nd December 2012 | Show parent
  #43
Lives for gear
 
schmuck's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The slides will not work with tb. Reason is the tb has no output for the slide. Kenton has slide in socket but the ext unit needs to be able to trigger it. Some xoxboxes have it for example.
Old 22nd December 2012
  #44
Lives for gear
 
alexp's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I miss my 202 so much. :(



alexP
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #45
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Ive just picked one up on ebay last week. Its so much fun and has an awesome sound. I put it trough my alesis quadraverb and it sounds amazing. the sequenzer is tricky though, still need some time to master it.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eigner View Post
Ive just picked one up on ebay last week. Its so much fun and has an awesome sound. I put it trough my alesis quadraverb and it sounds amazing. the sequenzer is tricky though, still need some time to master it.
Wow this thread is still rolling around.
Good on you the MC-202 is one freaking amazing synth.
Oh yeah the sequencer is very tricky but master it and you will have yourself some very crazy sounding sequences.

I love this little thing.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #47
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
the hard thing on the sequenzer is puting the right gate time. but ill figure that out soon. it so much fun to play around with it. i was very surprised when i first got it, the bass it can creat is amazing! its an awesome little machine. the one i got is in very good condition.

i love the old roland gear and since im earning money now im able to spend it on new gear im looking foward of buying a roland sh 9. hope i find one soon for a good price. what would you say would be a fair price for one?
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #48
Lives for gear
 
kreeper_6's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly2929 View Post
Has anybody had the Kenton CV gate retro fit kit fitted to the 202... Apparently it bypasses the internal sequencer for slaving off a 303?
I did a mod to mine which needed minimal modifications to the shell, My unit is a true Mint that was shelved for more than 20 years so I didn't want to hack it.

It requires flipping a few components to the other side of the board to fit the dpst switch, but was worth it.


Old 22nd January 2013
  #49
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
ive had most analog synths, and have gotten rid of lots of redundant stuff, but have always kept an mc202 around.

"It was like I did't even need to try to create a patch. It just sort of came to me when I press the play button."

thats because, like the juno-106, the synth sections pretty simple - all patch settings sound pretty good no matter what you do.

i find ill program semi-random sequences into my 202 as the starting point of an acid type track, then program other sequences around it.... since the 202 sequencer is more difficult to program than the others, simply because youve got better control over step and gate time than most other sequencers in similar gear. i cant get myself to program a 202 sequence without using filter accent and portamento. without these, i wouldve gotten rid of my 202 long ago.

mini
Old 22nd January 2013
  #50
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Excuse my FRENCH but This is one badass machine and can be had for minimal Dosh on the used market.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #51
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eigner View Post
the hard thing on the sequenzer is puting the right gate time. but ill figure that out soon. it so much fun to play around with it. i was very surprised when i first got it, the bass it can creat is amazing! its an awesome little machine. the one i got is in very good condition.

i love the old roland gear and since im earning money now im able to spend it on new gear im looking foward of buying a roland sh 9. hope i find one soon for a good price. what would you say would be a fair price for one?
The bass on this thing is what promoted my thread.
This thing is amazing, and for $350 or $400 I paid hell that is a bargain to be had for a synth of this quality.

Mine is also in very good condition. They weigh close to nothing, and just a simple little plastic box.

You will have no trouble creating bass with this machine.
Just mess about with that sequencer, it takes a little time.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by minime123 View Post
ive had most analog synths, and have gotten rid of lots of redundant stuff, but have always kept an mc202 around.

"It was like I did't even need to try to create a patch. It just sort of came to me when I press the play button."

thats because, like the juno-106, the synth sections pretty simple - all patch settings sound pretty good no matter what you do.

i find ill program semi-random sequences into my 202 as the starting point of an acid type track, then program other sequences around it.... since the 202 sequencer is more difficult to program than the others, simply because youve got better control over step and gate time than most other sequencers in similar gear. i cant get myself to program a 202 sequence without using filter accent and portamento. without these, i wouldve gotten rid of my 202 long ago.

mini
I agree with you 100 percent.
Just like the 106 it is so easy to dial in a very nice sound.
Genius if you ask me.

I find I make combination lines with this and my 303!
Its acid time
Old 23rd January 2013
  #53
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
yup, i use it with my 303 and other XOX boxes too.
heres a youtube video i made of a 303ish 202 pattern, though the 303 can only do a minimum note length of 16ths:



mini
Old 23rd January 2013
  #54
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
That video is exactly why I find 16th step grid sequencing boring.

Need the strum.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #55
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by minime123 View Post
yup, i use it with my 303 and other XOX boxes too.
heres a youtube video i made of a 303ish 202 pattern, though the 303 can only do a minimum note length of 16ths:



mini
Will check this out when I get home.
Look forward to it.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 64 views: 5432
Avatar for nrvana8775
nrvana8775 6th April 2014
replies: 220 views: 58600
Avatar for bgood
bgood 17th December 2016
replies: 1866 views: 216073
Avatar for Inception7
Inception7 3 weeks ago
replies: 4543 views: 655181
Avatar for MikeWestSE
MikeWestSE 1 day ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump