The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wow, I FINALLY got an awesome deal on some gear!! Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Wow, I FINALLY got an awesome deal on some gear!!

Whenever someone posts here about how they bought a mint Roland SH-101 for $100 or got a Roland TR-909 by trading some sucker an Alesis SR-16, I always get kind of depressed.

Due to my complete lack of self-control, I almost never get a good deal on gear. Whenever I decide I want something, I MUST HAVE IT NOW!!!

So I usually end up heading to ebay and paying the going rate (okay, usually much more than the going rate ) to get my grubby little hands on my latest dream piece.

Well, it looks like that may have finally changed for me!

I've been wanting to upgrade my studio monitors for a while (I have Genelec 8030As) and add a pro-level subwoofer. But I haven't wanted to pay the ridiculous prices those things usually cost.

Imagine my pleasure, then, when I log into my email this morning and see a notification from ebay that someone is selling a pair of Genelec 8040As and a 7060B subwoofer. All in excellent condition...

...for $1,200.

Thinking that this surely must be some sort of scam, I check the seller's feedback, and it sure looks legit.

Let me tell you, I couldn't hit "Buy it Now" fast enough.

Now the waiting begins!!

With my luck, they'll get damaged in shipping, or something...
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Nice score man.
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

God damn it! I knew it was too good to be true.

Received this email from the seller:

"My engineer made a mistake listing this item. I'm sorry but it's not for sale."

Grumble. Grumble.
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

I had a similar situation with a amazing vintage mixing desk recently, depressed me for days when it didn't work out!!!
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Same here, early in the morning someone posted a roland TR-808
For $275 on craigslist ,I was actually the first one to respond, arranged a time to
Meet and everything, was getting ready to leave ,the guy sold it from under me.

I was pissed off for days
LK
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
I had a similar situation with a amazing vintage mixing desk recently, depressed me for days when it didn't work out!!!
it was'nt the CM4400 on Ebay by any chance?
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

no not that one - its a kind of obscure mixer in the neve/calrec mold. was highest biider then the auction got pulled and it was relisted past my price range.

kind of vintage mixer that would had made a big difference to me in terms of EQ and pre's - never mind... win some loose some.
Old 14th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty View Post
Same here, early in the morning someone posted a roland TR-808
For $275 on craigslist ,I was actually the first one to respond, arranged a time to
Meet and everything, was getting ready to leave ,the guy sold it from under me.

I was pissed off for days
LK
That **** happened to me last year. Although I was trying to buy a bad-ass expensive vacuum cleaner for an insanely cheap price, not an 808.

Told the seller I couldn't come over until noon but I was definitely going to buy it. She said she'd hold it for me and when I called at noon to get the address the bitch already sold it.
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
That **** happened to me last year. Although I was trying to buy a bad-ass expensive vacuum cleaner for an insanely cheap price, not an 808.

Told the seller I couldn't come over until noon but I was definitely going to buy it. She said she'd hold it for me and when I called at noon to get the address the bitch already sold it.
THAT SUCKS ............

LK
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

I had that happen to me with a 707. With few other things too on Craigslist. Lost a $150 Juno 60 once by minutes. But got one a month later for $300. I now make sure to form a bit of an emotional connection with the seller if it's really important to me. If they are musicians they are passionate people usually.

I do sales for a living as an Engineer, so I'm used to soaring highs and crushing disappointments. One year I had a deal that was supposed to close a month before Christmas, 100k and I get 10%. Right at the signing it fell apart... THAT was tough. Last year I lost a deal that I had worked for two years, that one was over 200k. That would have changed my life at that point.

A few years ago I saw some Yamaha NS-1000's for $250 with an amp in perfect shape. I was almost shaking the whole time driving the half hour to get them. I made sure the seller was holding them and that he new how important it was to get them, and that if some creepy Ebay'er tried to offer more to let me know. I got them and still have them.
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Too bad, I feel for you!
Old 14th April 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty View Post
THAT SUCKS ............

LK
The inverse of that is I had a guy who said he was on his way over to pick up my Evolver after talking me down a bit via email. ON HIS WAY OVER. Never showed. I had no one else coming but the lesson learned is the person in front of you with cash is the person who gets it. Never promise anything to potential buyers. Too flakey.

The good news is I popped it up on eBay and it sold for $50 more than the price I had quoted him.

I did land an ATC-x QFS for $900 which I thought was a really good deal. $900 was the opening price and the auction ended on Easter Sunday and I guess I was the only godless heathen trolling eBay for synths when I should have been praying to zombi Jesus.

I'd give the person who "engineer put it up by mistake" bad feedback. That's not cool. If the thing was up there it was up there. The correct thing to do was follow though and own up.
Old 14th April 2012
Gear Addict

If something cheap is put on Craigslist the only way you are going to get it is if you go NOW and get it. A 300$ 808 is going to have 20 people an hour calling, you can not wait for stuff like that. I sold a motorcycle that didn't run and was missing half of the engine yesterday on CL for cheap because I just wanted it out of the garage. A guy came 20 minutes after the ad went up around midnight and paid for it. I had 30 or so texts the next morning when I woke up.

You only get deals like that if you call off work and go NOW. Why would anyone turn down the next guy to hold it for someone he doesn't know.
Old 14th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by saw wave analog View Post
You only get deals like that if you call off work and go NOW. Why would anyone turn down the next guy to hold it for someone he doesn't know.
I understand the first-come-first-serve policy that most sellers observe. After all they're just trying to make the sale. I guess it just rubbed me the wrong way when the seller claimed she'd hold it for me and I even gave her a time when I could make it. There was somewhat of a verbal agreement there and she only had to wait until 12:01 before moving on to the next buyer for an item she'd have no problem moving.

Just sorta.... I don't know? Not very classy, to put it nicely.
Old 14th April 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robonaut View Post
Aww. But look at it like this: rather this outcome than being out of $1200 and having a cardboard box full of bricks.
Old 14th April 2012
Gear nut

I just bought an mpc 2500 for $200 and an mpd 24 and 400 records.

I bought 600 records for $20. Traded dude 400 records for $200 off the MPC.

Then i sold my mpd for $200(!!!!!!!!!!!!!) to the very first person i asked if they wanted it.

And then i gave him $200 cash.

So $200 cash out of pocket and 400 ****ty records i didnt even want for a MPC 2500 with maxed out ram.

Deal of the mother ****ing century.
Old 14th April 2012
ear nut

Quote:
sorry to hear that.

I think the moral of this story may well be 'never post about your epic eBay wins on gearslutz until _after_ the kit has arrived'...
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Never fear dinging a bad ebay seller. You're helping other people and hopefully they'd do the same to protect us too.
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Robo: cheer yourself up by buying an old mono synth off of a nice trustworthy seller I know...
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Received this email from the seller:

"My engineer made a mistake listing this item. I'm sorry but it's not for sale."

Grumble. Grumble.
Ha ! my engineer...you mean your imaginary engineer. Just admit you made a mistake and move on.. So many people on Ebay use 3rd persons that don't exist for their lame excuses. "selling it for a friend"...really.......and your friend doesn't know how to use a computer?...............
Old 15th April 2012
Gear Addict

Bought a SH201 a while back and the guy threw in a Prophecy for free because the keys didn't work. Got home, switched midi local back on and fell on the floor laughing.

The SH201 will probably not be with me much longer but the Prophecy is a keeper.
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

I picked up an rx5 for free that way. Sort of. It was just synced to an incoming clock and not the internal sequencer. Got it off some guitarist friend of a friend. Lolololol

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search