The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
autotune Pitch & Harmony Plugins
Old 11th April 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

autotune

autotune.. do you use it? if so, how much and why?

is it really necessary to autotune the vocals? i barely use it but i used it last time on a remix for katy perry, but i dont like it so much...

what do you think about autotune, is it good?
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nznexus View Post
autotune.. do you use it?
no
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
no
Old 11th April 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
is it really necessary to autotune the vocals?
I think music as a whole got by fine for the centuries before it was invented, so, no.
Old 11th April 2012
Gear Head

I'll sometimes use it as an effect if I can pull it off in a non-cliche way (99% of the time I can't).

For commercial stuff (pay me plz) it can be a lifesaver.
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

Dude your pic and this whole thread just totally sucks. I think you have the wrong forum.

P.S. Autotune sounds like total crap. If used EXTREMELY sparingly to fine tune certain parts that's all good. When I can hear it, I automatically hate the song. And I don't mean T-pain style. I mean when you aren't supposed to hear it but it's still really obvious like Coldplay, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, all that garbage.
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear
i hate it.

i used it once on some coursework and will never use it again.
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

I like vocoders.
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

On vocals it's the cheesiest sound ever. And not good cheese at that.
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

it depends on taste but I can tell my tastebuds doesnt like it

autotune have that crap pop vibe in it
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

I don't understand why good singers would need autotune.
It's fine if a composer can't sing but still wants to do a demo for a singer to sing it.

It's also fine if heavily and notably (!) used in electronic dance music / alternative pop, as a stilistic element.
It's bull**** when used by supposedly good charts singers on *anything*. To repeat the remark about Katy Perry (and others).

If you really want to take all charisma and dynamics from a voice, all naturality and humanity, use autotune.
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear
I have the hardware rack version, and it's the best $200 I've spent on a bit of frivolous gear.

I don't care for the plugin (yep, same engine ra ra ra) as the hardware integrates into my studio better for me.

Overused - yep
Sounds bad - yep
Loads of fun while drunk - yep
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear
Whoever invented autotune deserves a bullet in the head.
Old 12th April 2012
Gear Guru

The story of how it was invented was actually pretty remarkable; the guy who came up with it did it because someone asked him whether he could make something that would let people sing in tune.

I don't think anyone should be shot, unless you want to commit mass genocide on an uneducated audience accepting this stuff. There's loads of interesting applications on anything else than just vocals.
Old 12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

I have no qualms moral or musical about using a tool to accomplish a goal.

That being said, melodyne just sounds better for pitch/time correction and is overall a better product in my opinion.

That being said, using autotune or melodyne as an effect is fine. I think it can be used really well and sound really cool as an effect, using either for correction is a lot harder and sometimes fatal.

In the right hands it can save a track that needs some help and cant be re-recorded but its a judgement call, and its so easy to overdo it and get it in that zone where its just unnatural enough to be offputting, but again its amazing how much you can do with melodyne in particular before it sounds weird.

Like that dance remix of Journeys Dont Stop Believin? Hate it. The original was perfect - because it wasnt perfect, it was human.

But Autotune the News (really effecty) and Dinosaur Jr (uncorrected and raw)? Love em.

The guy who invented it, Harold "Dr. Andy" Hildebrand, was a seismic geologist and applied some of the techniques he learned in that field to DSP processing for musical data:

"Seismic data processing involves the manipulation of acoustic data in relation to a linear time varying, unknown system (the Earth model) for the purpose of determining and clarifying the influences involved to enhance geologic interpretation. Coincident (similar) technologies include correlation (statics determination), linear predictive coding (deconvolution), synthesis (forward modeling), formant analysis (spectral enhancement), and processing integrity to minimize artifacts. All of these technologies are shared amongst music and geophysical applications."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/hi...auto-tune.html
Old 12th April 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
autotune.. do you use it? if so, how much and why?

is it really necessary to autotune the vocals? i barely use it but i used it last time on a remix for katy perry, but i dont like it so much...

In the context of most pop music, the vocals need to be tuned to sound competitive.

I'm not saying it's the way it should be, but I spend time to get the vocals in time and timed up well because of I don't, someone else will and I'll be out of a job.

To me it's kind of a necessary evil, but I do my best to make it as natural sounding as possible. In my experience, different tuning programs work better in different situations. I jump between using at7 and waves tune mostly, occasionally using melodyne and different pitch plugins followed up w/ formant correction. all timing I do manually before pitch correcting. For urban stuff, autotune 5 sounds the most appropriate to me usually, it is less transparent but has that sound that works well in that kind of music.

I will tend to leave certain parts of the background vocals as loosely tuned as possible because even a stack of perfectly transparently tuned vocals are all pulling towards a humanly impossible perfect pitch and will sound very fake when mixed together.

You'll get a lot of people on here saying you should never use it and just have the singer sing it over again to get it more perfect. This works for certain kinds of music, but not for polished pop stuff where the vocal stacks can get massive and the time it would take to do that would be prohibitive.
Old 12th April 2012
I absolutely hate Autotune and all 'obvious' uses of pitch correction on vocals.

As others have already said, I feel it takes away the emotion. To my ears (and eyes) there is beauty in imperfection. Like when they try and do lifelike 3D human faces, its too perfect, too symmetrical, in the end it just looks fake. I feel the same about Autotune.

I have used pitch correction a few times when I needed it, on single words mostly when I couldn't do another take, and sometimes on background vocals just to tighten them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoneybts View Post
In the context of most pop music, the vocals need to be tuned to sound competitive.

Sorry man, don't take this personally its not an attack on you, but just your choice of words here to describe it, and why its done says a hell of a lot!

A great vocal performance is not supposed to be "competitive" for christ's sake!!!

Its supposed to "awe inspiring" "dynamic" "emotional" "up lifting" "moving" etc, etc, etc.

And yes if it ain't good enough, you should do another take till you get it. Or better yet get a better singer, this is one of the major problems with pop these days, its full of people who can't sing to save their life. But they can dance and have nice hair...

Rant over.

Old 12th April 2012
Gear addict

Autotune sucks, but a talkbox is awesome.

If you want the robotic voice effect learn the talkbox. If you just want to correct pitch of a note or two, just redo the vocal take until you get as close as you can. As a listener, I'd rather hear a 100% real singer thats a little pitchy here and there, than to hear those parts autotuned, personally. If you want a robotic voice and perfect pitch, use a talkbox, which sounds sweet and is interesting to listen to like a real voice. Autotune is not the same.
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Do Coldplay really use autotune? If so it has been done well. Good on ya lad's!!

If you hate autotune, I presume you take a similar stance against EQ, which is also "Unnatural"
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Outstanding vocalists / singers don't need autotune becasue perfect intonation isn't what matters (not completely) what great vocalists have are an original sound, nuances that define that, and delivery and character however imperfect. But I think autotune is a great thing. absolutely brilliant tool
Old 12th April 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
I absolutely hate Autotune and all 'obvious' uses of pitch correction on vocals.

As others have already said, I feel it takes away the emotion. To my ears (and eyes) there is beauty in imperfection. Like when they try and do lifelike 3D human faces, its too perfect, too symmetrical, in the end it just looks fake. I feel the same about Autotune.

I have used pitch correction a few times when I needed it, on single words mostly when I couldn't do another take, and sometimes on background vocals just to tighten them up.

Sorry man, don't take this personally its not an attack on you, but just your choice of words here to describe it, and why its done says a hell of a lot!

A great vocal performance is not supposed to be "competitive" for christ's sake!!!

Its supposed to "awe inspiring" "dynamic" "emotional" "up lifting" "moving" etc, etc, etc.

And yes if it ain't good enough, you should do another take till you get it. Or better yet get a better singer, this is one of the major problems with pop these days, its full of people who can't sing to save their life. But they can dance and have nice hair...

Rant over.

I don't take it personally at all.

I work in the real world and the (current) reality in pop is that your song will sound unfinished if you don't tune the vocals. I was pretty specific that I strive to make the vocal tuning as transparent as possible, not obvious (unless intended for effect).

And by competitive I mean that I am competing against other producers for song cuts. If their production has a sound that fits on the current radio format better, they will get the job.

Last edited by kmoneybts; 12th April 2012 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: forgot to address something
Old 12th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoneybts View Post
I don't take it personally at all.

I work in the real world and the (current) reality in pop is that your song will sound unfinished if you don't tune the vocals. I was pretty specific that I strive to make the vocal tuning as transparent as possible, not obvious (unless intended for effect).

And by competitive I mean that I am competing against other producers for song cuts. If their production has a sound that fits on the current radio format better, they will get the job.

Yeah basically my point too, this current (manufactured) "reality", is pretty low on individuality and talent. Autotune is a sign of times, and the times they be pretty **** for mainstream pop (aka - 90's eurodance).

Fact is its become a production "must" because of the lack of talented vocalists. IMO

Again this is not a dig at you kmoney, and I'm talking generally about the end result, and whats in the charts, regardless of why you personally feel the need to do it. I do think Autotune is a crutch these days.

Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Do Coldplay really use autotune? If so it has been done well. Good on ya lad's!!

If you hate autotune, I presume you take a similar stance against EQ, which is also "Unnatural"
uh it sounds terrible on coldplay!

EQ doesn't change the pitch of someone who cant play or sing
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
uh it sounds terrible on coldplay!

EQ doesn't change the pitch of someone who cant play or sing
Yes it can.
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

I heard Mark E. Smith uses Autotune a lot on his later stuff.
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

yes
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

Does anyone ever come onto a thread and complain that editing midi is unmusical? Not anymore ... they might have done in the late 70's and early 80's (ban the drum machine is something remember from the Uk musician's union back then - ROFLMAO in hindsight) ... eventually everyone realises that tools are tools and musicians are tools ... er ...I mean musicians are musicians ... or singers or something. Anyway, I like Tom Waits ...
Old 12th October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
Anyway, I like Tom Waits ...

Not sure what he has to do with the topic, but I like Tom Waits too.

I use autotune on my analog polys. It doesn't make them sound like robots though :(
Old 12th October 2012
Gear maniac

I'd use it to change the vocal melody for a remix, for instance. Or to flatten a vibrato that worked in the original but not in another version. People complain that they can hear it in songs and don't like it. But consider the songs it is used in where you didn't notice it... No complaints there eh?

Get a better singer sounds fantastic! I'd like one with an intriguing timbre, perfect pitch and unlimited time to offer me. Where do I order those? Can I build one in my garage? I'd take the great timbre over perfect pitch any day. The pitch can be fixed, timbre can't.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search