The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Studio Electronics Boomstar
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Has anyone rolled their own SEM x2 Two-Voice Bro? How’s the Boomstar polychain working?
I was thinking about the same, but hadn't enough cash to fund it. But for sure it would be great.

And yes, as other said, after years of using SE SEM, i still love it, huge sound, and you can make also many expeimental, modular-like sounds.
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiTeR-aR View Post
I was thinking about the same, but hadn't enough cash to fund it. But for sure it would be great.

And yes, as other said, after years of using SE SEM, i still love it, huge sound, and you can make also many expeimental, modular-like sounds.
Sounds good.

How would you compare the Boomstars SEM to a TO SEM? (or anyone else compare?)

I was originally thinking I’d need something like the Polyend Poly (MIDI to CV) to use my TVSP to control the 2 SEMs, to roll my own makeshift 4-Voice. Then, I read that the Boomstars have built in poly chaining. I must have missed this before, or maybe this was added in a later revision?

In any case, I’m also just thinking ahead and planning how to eventually finalize my “TVSP SEM Station” with dual/patchable SEMs, as the TO SEMs are no longer being made. The fact that the Boomstarts went from $800 to $1300 kinda sucks, but the TO SEMs were also around ~ $1200. The Boomstars look very solidly built - and built locally, just like the Oberheims, which is very cool. But, I also can’t afford this expanded fantasy rig at this point (too many other priorities).

I’m also concerned the Boom SEMs sound too different from the TO SEMs to work well in a 4-Voice rig with TO 2-Voice. But, that wouldn’t stop them from being a great 2-Voice when paired.
Old 21st June 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
How would you compare the Boomstars SEM to a TO SEM? (or anyone else compare?)
I haven't use any other clone.

Quote:
Then, I read that the Boomstars have built in poly chaining. I must have missed this before, or maybe this was added in a later revision?
I think it was from the begining.

Quote:
I’m also concerned the Boom SEMs sound too different from the TO SEMs to work well in a 4-Voice rig with TO 2-Voice. But, that wouldn’t stop them from being a great 2-Voice when paired.
They designed some things inside also on minimoog scheme so it is not 1:1 TO SEM clone.
But sounds great
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear

The MKII versions of these went up quite a bit in price over the first run. They sound and look amazing though. Hmmm.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search